Quantcast
2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX Baku - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: 2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX Baku

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't know the fuel pump caused the fire. Interesting. I thought it something went wrong with the nozzle and the hot exhaust pipe set it a blaze.

There was a clip on Reddit a while back that showed the fire from a different angle.
    They removed the filter, speeding up refueling time and pit stops by about a second. Something got lodged in the valve and it didn't close properly, sending fuel to the car and setting it on fire.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    95B

Looks like there could be further action against the Finger Boy
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40431244

Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel could face further punishment for his collision with Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Governing body the FIA is to hold a meeting on 3 July to "further examine the causes of the incident to evaluate whether further action is necessary".

The outcome will be made public before the Austrian Grand Prix on 7-9 July.

Vettel was given a 10-second stop-and-go penalty and three points on his licence for driving into Hamilton.

It is understood Hamilton's driving in the incident is not in question and the hearing will focus on Vettel's behaviour.

Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel
    The moment two heavyweights come to blows
    The FIA warned Vettel after an incident in the Mexican Grand Prix last year - when he swore over the radio at race director Charlie Whiting - that he could face a tribunal in the event of any future incident of a similar nature.

In Azerbaijan, Vettel accused Hamilton of 'brake-testing' - deliberately slowing in front of him - as they prepared for a re-start behind a safety car.

Vettel then pulled alongside Hamilton and drove his car into the Mercedes so they banged wheels.

Hamilton's car telemetry data was analysed by the stewards on Sunday and he was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Vettel crash 'like headbutt in football'
    'F1 2017 just got nasty - and it's Vettel's fault'
    Vettel should think before he acts - Ricciardo
    Did officials consider disqualifying Vettel?

The four stewards in Azerbaijan spent some minutes contemplating what was the most suitable punishment for Vettel.

They had no doubt Vettel had driven into Hamilton on purpose in a fit of pique.

They chose the second-most severe form of punishment - a 10-second stop-and-go penalty. The only tougher option was disqualification which it was considered, on balance, Vettel's actions did not deserve.

Some have argued the stewards got it wrong and Vettel should have been kicked out of the race.

But it is also clear the penalty has appeared less severe because, as it turned out, Vettel ended up finishing ahead of Hamilton and extending his championship lead.

The Mercedes driver had to pit to have a loose headrest replaced and came out of the pits behind Vettel.

Had Hamilton not had this problem, he would have won the race with Vettel in fifth and the Mercedes driver would have taken the championship lead by three points, rather than seeing his deficit extend to 14.

Insiders are suggesting that FIA president Jean Todt is perturbed by Vettel's behaviour. Only he has the power to call a new hearing, as has been done in this case.

Has Vettel got disciplinary problems?

Vettel has an immediate problem in the wake of the three penalty points he was given in Baku in addition to the stop-and-go penalty. He now has nine on his licence - and 12 in a 12-month period means an automatic race ban.

The first two of those nine points were for forcing Felipe Massa's Williams off the track at last year's British Grand Prix, so they are soon to drop off Vettel's licence - but not before the Austrian Grand Prix next weekend.

So Vettel will have to avoid any further controversy at the Red Bull Ring or he could end up missing the British Grand Prix.

Beyond that, this is the second road-rage incident from Vettel in the past eight months - the first being when, antagonised by the driving of Red Bull's Max Verstappen in Mexico, he swore at race director Whiting.

He apologised to Whiting in person after the race and did so again in letters to both Whiting and FIA president Todt later that week.

However, he was warned further action could be taken if he behaved in a similar fashion again and that is what has happened here.

Hamilton and Vettel
    The collision with Hamilton was Vettel's second road-rage incident in the past eight months
    Did Hamilton do anything wrong?

The red-flag period gave the race stewards in Baku the chance to properly analyse telemetry data from Hamilton's car.

They looked at his behaviour at all three safety-car restarts and concluded the Mercedes driver did nothing wrong. The FIA said he did not brake or lift off excessively and maintained a more or less constant speed.

The language in that statement leaves room for doubt as to whether Hamilton slowed down before Vettel hit him.

Some on social media have reacted to on-board video from Hamilton's car, claiming telemetry graphics indicated he did brake shortly before the initial impact, and used it as evidence that Vettel was right to accuse Hamilton of 'brake-testing' him.

But the video does not show this. Close analysis of the footage shows Hamilton is slowing as he approaches the apex of the corner, and keeps the brakes on lightly past the apex. His minimum speed is 51km/h as he exits the corner. But he has come off the brakes and is coasting before Vettel hits him.

At this point, Hamilton was preparing for the restart, and managing his gap to Vettel while bunching up the pack, trying to ensure he had the most advantageous position. As the leader, that is his prerogative.

The FIA says there was no heavy braking or anything contrary to the rules.

What do others within F1 think?

As one senior source said: "Seb was not expecting it and he should have been. He accelerated anticipating Lewis would too. But Lewis had a clear view of the safety car ahead of him with its lights off. Why would he accelerate? He wants to get a gap (to the safety car), plus it's his right to control the pace."

Former F1 driver and David Coulthard agreed, saying in his Channel 4 commentary: "Hamilton hasn't accelerated then decelerated, he has kept a constant pace. Sebastian has misjudged it and then in his anger made contact with Hamilton.

"I don't think there is any part of that you can point a finger at Hamilton and say he has done something wrong. Vettel was anticipating what he would do, forgetting the fact the lead car can control the pace."

The eventual race winner, Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo, also backed this view.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Just read on the BBC site, Button says the wannabe messerschmitt fighter pilot should not face further action. I don't know, I wonder if Button would feel the same way if he was going for the title and a German rammed him on purpose?
    Is the 10 second penalty enough? Maybe next time fingerboy gets anal sensations at the sight of Goomba'ss rear end he might have to stick his finger up his own buttocks to calm himself?

I think Button needs to go back to Button moon....

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just read on the BBC site, Button says the wannabe messerschmitt fighter pilot should not face further action. I don't know, I wonder if Button would feel the same way if he was going for the title and a German rammed him on purpose?
    Is the 10 second penalty enough? Maybe next time fingerboy gets anal sensations at the sight of Goomba'ss rear end he might have to stick his finger up his own buttocks to calm himself?

I think Button needs to go back to Button moon....

I saw the same thing in BBC and my thought was the same. Button is saying this because he is not in it.
    On the other hand I don't think 10 Second penalty was enough for Finger Boy's actions.

My Ride
    golfR

i think it is enough and it would've been perfectly fine had Lewis's headrest not get undone and made him finish behind Vettel. Lewis was just unlucky he had that issue.
    However, the FIA is looking into this because there's history with Vettel.
    After his outburst at Charlie he was warned about his behavior that's putting the sport into negative light.
    The only outcome I see from this is he gets a race ban or mandatory anger management course.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Do you not think there is difference in this case? I agreed there is history. But in this specific case during the race, drivers make some stupid miscalculated manoeuvres that cause accidents and they get 10 second or drive through penalty. But all in all they are racing.
    In the case of messerschmitt this was not racing incident, he was using his vehicle to attack a rival driver... no..?

If another driver intentionally rams another driver, instead of being banned, they might argue for a 10 second penalty as messerschmitt got away with it?

My Ride
    golfR

The way I see this situation, there are two sources where the punishment are coming /came from; FOM and FIA.

With the FOM, the 10 second stop-and-go penalty is the second highest penalty. Next one is DSQ.
    If Lewis didn't have to go through the extra pitstop, he wouldn've won the race and Vettel would've been 5th. That would've been a hefty punishment if you ask me.
    I think this punishment is enough since it didn't hurt Lewis in any way nor damage his car. Had it damaged Lewis's car, then I think a DSQ is well deserved.
    Cheering for #44 here and would be nice if Vettel gets the DSQ but ya, I don't think it's fair.
    I do agree with you that there is a difference. Had this been during a race, a DSQ I think would be deserved with or without damage to Lewis's car. At racing speeds, using your car as a weapon can be fatal.

Now that the FOM's punishment has been served, here comes the FIA with their own as they have felt that their warnings to Vettel before fell on deaf ears.
    I do disagree with Button and Brundle.
    The last 12 months Vettel hasn't really been on the good side of the FIA (not FOM).
    The Massa incident then the Charlie incident. He got a warning from the FIA after the Charlie incident to govern himself accordingly. This latest incident shows that he didn't heed the FIA's warning and now they are out to get him.
    Maybe they'll throw the book at him to set an example to prevent similar situations again, or like I said before they'll force him to an anger management course and be done with it.
    They could also get him to do more FIA Road to Safety promotions for the season.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6