Quantcast
Insurance Policy Question. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Insurance Policy Question.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Default Insurance Policy Question.

I have been dealing with my Insurance mainly over email. In the last year, I will send an email asking for a quote on a vehicle, and the Insurance agent will just open up a policy, and send me a pink card with out giving me a price on a premium, or asking me what coverage I would like. As soon as the policy arrives in the mail, I email back asking to cancel the policy I never wanted, but still get charged for the next months billing.

My question is weather that is even legal to do.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thanks

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You should be able to cancel any policy within a few days or a week without paying a single dime, no matter why it was opened up.

I don't know the legalities, but I do know that this kind of thing has never been a problem for me with any company I have dealt with. Sounds very shady, I would be switching asap. Car insurance is so easy to switch, there's no reason not to. Touchstone has treated me good for several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I thought Touchstone was an insurance broker and not an insurance company.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I thought Touchstone was an insurance broker and not an insurance company.
    What does that have to do with anything?

Anyway, back to the OP. Something is very off with the communication here. Is your agent ESL and perhaps has trouble interpreting written questions? The nice thing with email is that there is clear evidence as to what you did or did not ask for so you should be able to have the agent go back and void the transaction which would result in you not paying anything.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

The agent I speak with is fluent in English, when she does call and leave a voice mail.,

I honestly believe she is just bolstering her bottom dollar with the sales commissions, its really frustrating.

I just called in to get a dirtbike reduced from full coverage to PLPD, which is only $8 a month from my policy, which they wanted to charge me $1200/yr for (almost every other place is asking less than $300 for full coverage) And got a confirmation letter saying that the policy generated a refund of X amount of dollars, but the two months that I paid for at their mistake was not going to be refunded...

I've never dealt with this, and it just flat out feels like I'm being robbed.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?
    Well it just seems many people refer to Touchstone as an insurance company, just trying to clarify - no knock against a Touchstone.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaTuner View Post
    The agent I speak with is fluent in English, when she does call and leave a voice mail.,

I honestly believe she is just bolstering her bottom dollar with the sales commissions, its really frustrating.

I just called in to get a dirtbike reduced from full coverage to PLPD, which is only $8 a month from my policy, which they wanted to charge me $1200/yr for (almost every other place is asking less than $300 for full coverage) And got a confirmation letter saying that the policy generated a refund of X amount of dollars, but the two months that I paid for at their mistake was not going to be refunded...

Sounds like time for a new insurance company...or through a broker (they generally do a better job of providing good service).

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaTuner View Post

What the actual hell??? I can't even...
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Rick, you ARE being robbed. I can't imagine any reason to stay with this company. Isn't there some kind of insurance ombudsman who you can take this to? I'd be raising hell just on principle.

A broker (like touchstone) is unlikely to fuck you around in this manner because customer service is a big reason you go with a broker. Plus you can always complain to the actual underwriting company if your broker fucks with you. They wouldn't stand for it I suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?