Quantcast
Renting a car for long trip to save wear & tear on your own vehicle? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Renting a car for long trip to save wear & tear on your own vehicle?

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I haven't done this since I was in school and didn't have a nice/reliable car. But I have a Suburban booked for next month for 10 days just because I don't have a vehicle anymore that has enough room for my family of 4 plus all the stuff we need to spend 7 nights on a houseboat. Rental seemed like the more comfortable way of doing things. And saving the 2000km or so from my vehicle can't hurt either.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

We take our minivan. The rental would have to be free to make any difference in fuel savings as it can do about 7-8L/100kms on the highway.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I just did a trip to Tofino & back (6 days) in the Sierra and sort of wish I did the rental thing, even though I got decent mileage (12.1km/h over ~2600km). Especially considering I have a few free rental days with National due to corporate rentals. But most rentals don't allow pets so...

My Ride
    This and that.

I always find myself renting whenever I am driving any substantial distance ever since I got a tire blowout from hitting a pothole on a shitty route. My road trips are usually obscure court locations that aren't always the nicest roads and are sometimes remote. Plus I am always worried about putting mileage and ruining my actual vehicle but then you're always in shitty rental vehicles. That's actually part of the reason I am getting rid of my M3 and going to lease the next vehicle so I don't have to worry about anything and drive the damn thing whenever it needs to be driven without worrying about the mileage.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always find myself renting whenever I am driving any substantial distance ever since I got a tire blowout from hitting a pothole on a shitty route. My road trips are usually obscure court locations that aren't always the nicest roads and are sometimes remote. Plus I am always worried about putting mileage and ruining my actual vehicle but then you're always in shitty rental vehicles. That's actually part of the reason I am getting rid of my M3 and going to lease the next vehicle so I don't have to worry about anything and drive the damn thing whenever it needs to be driven without worrying about the mileage.
    wouldn't you be more conscious with a lease as they often have mileage limitations?
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    wouldn't you be more conscious with a lease as they often have mileage limitations?
    I am getting enough allowance to begin with, plus the arrangement I've made with the guy is such that if in a year or two I want something else I can go switch my car without caring about how much mileage is on it for a different vehicle without any penalties for breaking the lease early.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Renting a car definitely makes sense in the right circumstances. I do it all the time, especially since I DD the duramax right now.

Whip up a quick spreadsheet and crunch the numbers. I usually go with Enterprise as they have shuttle service (don't know about the others) and they have always treated me extremely well. To go from 15L/100km to 5L/100km starts to add up pretty quick, plus wear and tear on the truck is a lot more (those bigass tires are expensive!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2