Quantcast
57 over ... What am I up against/lawyer recommendations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 57 over ... What am I up against/lawyer recommendations

Default 57 over ... What am I up against/lawyer recommendations

Before I even post the story I understand I messed up, I realize I'm in shit, and I expect to be torn up by some members of this forum. I am looking for lawyer recommendations that won't break the bank, and experiences with similar fines. I am considering hiring copper amongst other lawyers to handle this (anyone have experience with them?). Here's the type up I've been sending to several lawyers:

On Saturday June 17th I was driving my motorcycle in the Devon area as practice for my road test. I was north bound on highway 60 near the Devonian when I took a turn off in graminia road (township road 511).

This is a road where I often come with my friend to practice my defensive riding maneuvers as there is very little traffic.

I left the highway heading west bound at 100-110 as I believed I was still In a 100 zone. I had been practicing my emergency braking for a couple km when I approached a knoll on the road. I reduced my speed approaching the knoll and checked my mirrors to be sure I had no vehicles behind me, reached the top of the knoll and seen no vehicles for a great distance, and accelerated to perform a final emergency stop. I did not watch my speedometer as I accelerated downhill and began harshly applying my breaks when I seen lights come on in the distance. I performed my sudden braking and immediately pulled over for the approaching peace officer.

The officer asked me why I was doing 57 over the limit (clocked at 137). I told him he must be mistaken as I believed I was only 37 over. He informed me I was in an 80 not a 100 zone.

I began to explain to the officer what I was doing and the reason for the acceleration. I explained I was on a road with very little traffic that I was familiar with l, practicing defensive driving techniques - as we know the QE2 is a highway speed of 110, where most drivers operate at 120-130kmh. I wanted to have practice stopping incase I found myself In a real-time traffic emergency. I explained to him I did not realize it was an 80 zone nor that I knew the speed my bike had accelerated to on the small slope. Again it was a quick acceleration with the intention of sudden breaking.

The officer agreed with me there was very little traffic with no oncoming vehicles, and seemed to understand where my calculated risk came from. Regardless I was handed a fine for 137 in an 80 zone, with a mandatory court appearance.

My intention was not to speed over 50 kph, nor to speed in general, only to accelerate and decelerate quickly to get a feel for my new motorcycle. I would rather have experience performing such maneuvers In a controlled environment under my own will/comfort then for a first time in a realtime emergency situation.

It is worth mentioning the peace officer was moving at 45kph with another motorcycle ahead of him between my bike and his cruiser. I'm not sure how he was able to get my speed.

I have 1 prior speeding ticket 2-3 years ago for 25 km over, other then that I have a full class 5 license at 12-15 available demerits.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:52 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I would find out if he actually clocked you or just estimated. If the latter, you might be able to talk it down based on that alone.

As far as getting off scott-free, not gonna happen as you already admitted to the cop you were speeding.

While I understand why you were doing what you were doing, please don't think that is going to help you in court. The *reason* for someone speeding is irrelevant 99.9% of the time.

The bike is a Suzuki sv650

He clocked me with radar, he was in the oncoming lane with a motorcycle ahead of him (left portion of the lane) between us.

With that head start, you should have kept going

My Ride
    NC1

If there's nothing else on your record, I am positive you can get away without a suspension.

I got a couple of these 5-6 years ago so unless things have changed, here goes:

First offense for 50 over.
    - Paid Pointts or one of those traffic guys $600
    - Ticket reduced to 30 over and 4 demerits
    - Pay $600 fine
    - Take online AMA course ($100) and get a 3 demerit reduction

Only thing I can think of is, all of the above costs more now. There are members who have gone in themselves to talk to the judge so they skipped paying the Pointts guy $600. However if you call them for a consultation they will scare you into using them lol

Good luck!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i'd just represent yourself. if you are on GDL, push court date over and over again till you can get your full license... then you should be fine. in my experience if you dont show a repeating pattern, tell the judge you need to drive to work, show remorse for your actions they will reduce it to a 40-49km/h ticket no problem. with a full license this wont affect your chances of driving. those traffic court "lawyers" are bottom feeding losers and sometimes can fuck you over by not even showing up. not worth the $2k they will charge you, they dont have some sort of magic wand. you can do what they do just as easily and just walk out with your $400 fine, vs $400 fine, plus their fee

Honestly, your letter seems like something a cheesy strip mall lawyer would toss together. You need to actually talk to a lawyer before making any statements, as they can only defend you based on what is said, and if you lay it out, they can't advise you to change anything. Your write up really paints you as a victim (just not believable from the justice POV), and we all know the truth is somewhere in between. With a ticket such as this, spend the money on an actual lawyer, or educate and defend yourself (honestly the best option, its not that hard). The ticket defense guys are probably not going to help you anymore than you can help yourself, and just take your money.

BUT, how are you quoting the officers speed (im sure based on your estimate), but yet question a piece of reliable technology when it comes to your speed? Why is he driving 45 if you were in an 80 zone as you stated?
    Last edited by NoSup4U; 06-21-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Thank you for the advice so far, I have signed up for a defensive driving course and have started preparing an apology letter. I understand it seems as though I'm playing the victim card which is not my intention. I realize the laws of the road is black-and-white and I have committed an offence. All I am trying to explain is that I was not intentionally excessively speeding or driving recklessly. My intentions were to practice high-speed breaking in a safe spot. It's not like I was driving on the QE2 doing 180. I was on a back road where I mistook the speed limit from the get go And over accelerated on my quick acceleration.

As for my statement about the officers speed when I was pulled over I requested to look at his radar. He brought me over to his vehicle and showed me the speed at which she clocked me as well as the speed at which is a vehicle is moving when clocked. His speed of 44 km/h is not an estimate. It is what his machine was showing.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Those vehicles are equipped with radar at the front and back of the vehicles. It has a full sensor up front that can catch vehicles coming towards him in the oncoming lane regardless if a big truck, bike, or whatever was in front of him.

If he tagged you with that, you better believe the officer will pull that for the ticket (if he's compotent and does his paperwork properly)

Can't stopping on a motorbike be practiced from 80kph? Or even from 100kph on highway 60 as I can not imagine that that highway is all that busy.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Quote Originally Posted by Nbmotorman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for my statement about the officers speed when I was pulled over I requested to look at his radar. He brought me over to his vehicle and showed me the speed at which she clocked me as well as the speed at which is a vehicle is moving when clocked. His speed of 44 km/h is not an estimate. It is what his machine was showing.
    If that's the case like I stated earlier, i would for sure try and get a lawyer. I think Points is your best bet. Considering its clocked on the radar general practice for a big ticket like that is usually pulling the readings for the day, and booking that in as evidence with the ticket. Only thing I can recommend is when going to court, asking for the test readings performed that day on the radar to make sure that it tested ok. Usually the officer would record that in their notebook for that day.

I absolutely agree stopping from 100 can be valuable practice. Like I stated i slowed down when I was approaching the knoll and accelerated when I hit the top. I got to the top doing about 85 and was focussing on the vehicles ahead of me when I was accelerating. I don't know if you're familiar with the type of motorcycle I drive but they accelerate quickly. I did not think I hit a speed of 137 I can promise you that. I'm sure I could've practised on highway 60 but this road is directly off to the side of The highway and never has traffic. I would prefer being in an absolute controlled environment then on a 2 Lane Highway. I also believe if an officer seen me slamming on my brakes for nothing on highway 60 that it would raise more questions than on an auxiliary Road.

I admit in hindsight errors were made, I'm not looking to get off the ticket, I understand and accept the circumstances. My question was simply what am I up against and if anyone has lawyer/paralegal recommendations in the Edmonton area. I'm the main source of income to my household and am an apprentice electrician. My job requires my license and I can't afford to have it suspended over a mistake/poor judgement call. I'm not a repeat offender and I did not intentionally commit the crime with which I'm being charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Nbmotorman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I absolutely agree stopping from 100 can be valuable practice. Like I stated i slowed down when I was approaching the knoll and accelerated when I hit the top. I got to the top doing about 85 and was focussing on the vehicles ahead of me when I was accelerating. I don't know if you're familiar with the type of motorcycle I drive but they accelerate quickly. I did not think I hit a speed of 137 I can promise you that. I'm sure I could've practised on highway 60 but this road is directly off to the side of The highway and never has traffic. I would prefer being in an absolute controlled environment then on a 2 Lane Highway. I also believe if an officer seen me slamming on my brakes for nothing on highway 60 that it would raise more questions than on an auxiliary Road.

I admit in hindsight errors were made, I'm not looking to get off the ticket, I understand and accept the circumstances. My question was simply what am I up against and if anyone has lawyer/paralegal recommendations in the Edmonton area. I'm the main source of income to my household and am an apprentice electrician. My job requires my license and I can't afford to have it suspended over a mistake/poor judgement call. I'm not a repeat offender and I did not intentionally commit the crime with which I'm being charged.
    I was probably playing with motorcycles before you were born and have owned cruisers, sport and dirt bikes. In my experience, braking practice and getting to know one's machine can easily be done within posted speed limits.

Now I've never been caught doing 57 over but it is probably sage advice to listen to what others have said on here, have I gone 57 over - yupp and a lot more. I do sincerely hope that you can get whatever reduced and keep your license - I won't chastise you for speeding because numerous vehicles that have been new to me has been taken to their top speed limit except my old work truck but she deserves some TLC at 504,000km. Maybe best to spend some monies to get representation that can serve you well. I would imagine the fallout at home isn't good, I know my ass would be on the hot seat if I got caught speeding excessively and even more so if a conviction could negatively affect my employment.
    Will fuck off, again.

You are fucked. I would not risk with points, rather get a traffic lawyer.

No radar detectors for bikes? I was dong 160 in a 60, detector went off, managed to slow to 96 before he locked a speed. Not sure my detector is the most legal arond, but every enthusiast should have one.

My Ride
    This and that.

Happened in Devon? Which court is it out of, Leduc? I might consider taking it on as I do a handful of 'high-stake' traffic matters every now and then. PM me and we can chat.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

i got clocked and pulled over going 173 on stony on my bike, no suspension! call points, bend over
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)