Quantcast
Driving from Toronto to Calgary - Route advice please - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Driving from Toronto to Calgary - Route advice please

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Default Driving from Toronto to Calgary - Route advice please

I'm driving a car from Toronto to Calgary in 2 weeks with a friend.
    According to Google maps, there are 3 main routeshttps://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Toron...51.0486151!3e0

They are all similar in time, but I expect the scenery may be better with one route over another.

Anyone with input on which route may be the most enjoyable, I'll appreciate your experience.

Thanks
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

From everyone I've talked to (not personal experience)
    Do NOT go through Northern Ontario. Single lane each way, 60kph, many logger trucks, too many twists and turns to pass.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

G0 through the US, do not go around the north side of lake superior.
    Cheaper gas, cheaper food, better service, everything better.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

I would choose the route that goes near/past Chicago, a friend of mine that did a coast to coast road trip a couple years ago went that route on the way to Toronto and then the all Canada route on the way back. He said there was way more places to stop/visit and things to see in the US and that the Canada route was actually awful. Poorly maintained (this could be different now since he drove it a couple years ago) and just about nothing to see for most of it as it was either a clear cut road through a forest or a flat prairie and nowhere to stop for long gaps at a time.

Check what places would make the most sense for you if you wanted to stop, the route I like you can decide which border crossing you want to go through (check wait times before you arrive) either Sarnia or Detroit/Windsor, stop in Chicago and in St. Paul/Minneapolis (Mall of America is there). You also get to avoid state parks that could have slower speeds and are likely full of families with campers and trailers which the other USA route goes through.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Do NOT go through Northern Ontario. Single lane each way, 60kph, many logger trucks, too many twists and turns to pass.
    Isn't northern ON is beautiful? I thought @Ekliptix wanted scenery route.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I just did Calgary to PEI about 3 weeks ago, highway 17 and 11 are trash in terms of paving and yes down to one lane each way which can be very frustrating. Some areas are very scenic but unless you are really taking your time then there's not much point in going this route unless you aren't pressed for time.

Unless you don't want to deal with Customs for whatever reason, I'd go through the states for time and fuel savings...gas was upwards of $1.30 for 87 octane in some spots fuuuuuuuuuuu.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I have done this trip half a dozen times. My vote for speed is the US route - Chicago is a nightmare - try to arrive there at 10-1pm. This route is boring.
    Second option is to take the northern way - always my favourite because that's where my family is from. You can usually do Toronto - Sault Ste Marie at a leisurely pace. I always stopped in Nipigon, ON which is a small town. Then Regina, and on to Calgary. Very scenic along 17 but be careful around Dryden, ON. That's OPP training ground, and they like them some AB plates. Spots along the way are the Terry Fox Memorial outside Thunder Bay, The Big Goose in Wawa, Lake of the Woods near Kenora, The Canadian Mint in Winnipeg.

EDIT: almost forgot - have to check out the Hoito for pancakes in Thunder Bay - bet you can't eat 6. If you are stopping, may as well get some Persians from the Persian Man as well.
    Last edited by SkiBum5.0; 06-22-2017 at 10:19 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post

It's 90, not 60... twists and turns are fun, it's also beautiful and traffic is pretty mild, we did about 120km/h the whole way... which I don't recommend near Sault Ste. Marie (2 tickets, one on each side of town... only ones the whole trip)

I pick north, cause you don't have to time passing through major urban centres, or time border crossings, plus I usually have dogs so don't need to worry about vet letters or any other nonsense

Gas wasn't too bad... except in Sault Ste. Marie, hwy robbery there... which is weird considering it's a border town

My Ride
    X5

I've done this route. Definitely go through the US as you highlighted on your map. That is the best route for sure. speed is quicker, better scenery, better food, cheaper gas.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I guess I'm wondering what scenery you get on the US route (southern one) versus through Canada? I get that there are large patches of nothing on the Canadian route - I prefer that. The middle route utilizes a ferry that you have to time just right - it's also really expensive - $150-200 for a car plus two people. Did you you see all the construction icons on that southern route? It took us almost 2 hours to cross the greater Chicago area getting there near 9:30am (too early + heavy construction).

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Having towed these routes, north all the way. Do 15 over and the cops wont give a shit.

Go along the great lakes for views though. It says the far north route is quicker, but thats only if you go slow.

My Ride
    is broken

Fuel prices alone make the US trip easier. Looking at Gas buddy its around .80-85$/L right now.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
    I'm driving a car from Toronto to Calgary in 2 weeks with a friend.
    According to Google maps, there are 3 main routeshttps://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Toron...51.0486151!3e0

They are all similar in time, but I expect the scenery may be better with one route over another.

Anyone with input on which route may be the most enjoyable, I'll appreciate your experience.

Thanks
    What will you be driving?

My Ride
    04 Skyline 350GT TT

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    G0 through the US, do not go around the north side of lake superior.
    Cheaper gas, cheaper food, better service, everything better.
    you will also want to go below the "Lake of the Woods" you will go to the US side again but you get to take a sweet land bridge Kinda like the Florida keys

544 wrhp 555 ft/lbs torque @ 15psi

My Ride
    2008 Z06

The consensus is go the south US route with HiTempguy's comment being the most convincing to take one of the 2 Canadian routes. Leaning towards the south US route at the moment.

Driving this:
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  134.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1542.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  121.6 KB

My Ride
    is faster than yours

That thing is awesome!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

If you go south, its basically all interstate. Seems a crying shame.to do such a roadtrip in that truck and to go south, but maybe that is just me. Do you have a 700r4 in it? Another bonus is you won't be run off the road if it is only a 3 speed and ypu cruise at 65mph.

I'll say it again, The North route is beautiful.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Will you have your new truck registered? Might be a pain in the ass depending on customs officer crossing back and forth on in transit permits

My Ride
    bmw

I have done the northern ontario route and it would be my first choice again. It is very scenic and worth seeing once if you are not in a huge rush. If time is a factor and not into scenic drives, then just go through the states.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    If you go south, its basically all interstate. Seems a crying shame.to do such a roadtrip in that truck and to go south, but maybe that is just me. Do you have a 700r4 in it? Another bonus is you won't be run off the road if it is only a 3 speed and ypu cruise at 65mph.

I'll say it again, The North route is beautiful.
    i completely agree

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Ive done both multiple times. Go the US route. If you have some extra time I would definitely recommend making a day trips/stop in Chicago. Pretty neat city.

Last time I did it I went through Detroit tunnel, made a stop in chicago, then continued west on the 90 towards Sioux falls since I wanted to see Black Hills/Mount Rushmore, then north along Great Falls. But the later part is a bit of a detour.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast