Quantcast
So... nobody excited for the OnePlus 5?? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: So... nobody excited for the OnePlus 5??

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Its nice. I just dont think its worth the jump from my OnePlus3. Though if I lose/break this 3 then ill def stick with OnePlus and head that way.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I'll throw another recommendation in for the Axon 7. Its been an amazing phone, one of my favorites. I also paid $400 so can't go wrong. Don't see much that this phone offers that I don't get now
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

[QUOTE=HiTempguy1;4666532]It's a nice step up from the OnePlus 3T for only an extra $50. Considering some of the new BYOP plans, I am definitely considering one as I am sick of my Nexus 5X.

/QUOTE]

I got a 128 gig model to replace my awful Nexus 5X. I was really happy with my Oneplus One but dropped it travelling and had to order the Nexus 5X. The OP5 is a fast phone with plenty of storage. Nothing too ground breaking other than the insane amount of ram. It is a good phone that I hope will last 24+ months.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by SportEL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do any people actually notice a difference between QHD screen and 1080p. I doubt most wouldn't notice. The water resistance doesn't matter to me, as there's not much instances my phone would even get wet. The main problem though is the LTE is not working properly on Freedom. It doesn't automatically lock onto LTE, or even when I manually try to, most times it doesn't either. This is a Dealbreaker! It does seem that from what Xtrema has said in another thread, that it's Freedom's fault. I hope they fix this. Otherwise, I don't know if I'd want to keep the phone. 15 day return policy right?
    I did a QHD vs 1080p AMOLED vs AMOLED comparison. You can't tell the difference until you strap on VR headset.

As day 5 on this phone on Freedom, I have accepted my fate for now. Wherever this is good LTE signal, it locks on tight. Wherever there is spotty coverage, you will be switched back to HSPA+ or 3G and stay there until you manually flips it back. This happens after each call/text as well.

If you are on 3G or H+, you are on the old network. 4G is the new LTE network. So that different than some other other phones with shows LTE instead of 4G. Or some other phone that shows 4G when you are on H+.

LTE speed is a plus with Pokemon, especially with the new raid battles.

Now there are confirmed issues with Wifi on OP5, which may also impact hotspots:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...ev&sh=eb756bf9
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-26-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SportEL View Post
    Do any people actually notice a difference between QHD screen and 1080p.
    I find it's easy to see the difference at normal usage viewing distances, especially with small text and even more so with VR. You can't see any aliasing and everything just looks so perfect and smooth. Beyond 1440P, fewer people would see a difference, but you would for VR since you can already see pixels pretty easily at 1440P with VR. Everyone is different though. If you can't see a difference, don't pay for it and enjoy the battery life advantages of 1080P.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I find it's easy to see the difference at normal usage viewing distances, especially with small text and even more so with VR. You can't see any aliasing and everything just looks so perfect and smooth. Beyond 1440P, fewer people would see a difference, but you would for VR since you can already see pixels pretty easily at 1440P with VR. Everyone is different though. If you can't see a difference, don't pay for it and enjoy the battery life advantages of 1080P.
    I agree, I see it every time I fire up my Asus phone for old times sake and look at it next to my Axon. Its not eve close. Watching video on it is just amazing
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    I agree, I see it every time I fire up my Asus phone for old times sake and look at it next to my Axon. Its not eve close. Watching video on it is just amazing
    Edit: 0624 patch is out. Get it, it fixes my Bluetooth issue.

You could be comparing AMOLED to LCD. AMOLED to AMOLED, the difference isn't as obvious.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-26-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Anyone have the weird scrolling issue? Some are more sensitive to it than others. Looks like displays are installed upside down and the phone's code is set to rotate everything 180 degrees which seems a bit odd.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/30/...e-down-screen/

My Ride
    Bicycle

Anyone have the weird scrolling issue? Some are more sensitive to it than others. Looks like displays are installed upside down and the phone's code is set to rotate everything 180 degrees which seems a bit odd.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/30/...e-down-screen/

I could not replicate it.

But the video of people who got hit, got hit hard.

I don't notice that effect on mine.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Mine doesn't do that either. They say it's a small number of people....and they said it's the same displays all around, wonder wtf is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Mine doesn't do that either. They say it's a small number of people....and they said it's the same displays all around, wonder wtf is the difference?
    I suspect like a lot of things, some people just don't notice it, don't care, or aren't sensitive to it even though it might still be there. Lots of screen/visual things are like that.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I suspect like a lot of things, some people just don't notice it, don't care, or aren't sensitive to it even though it might still be there. Lots of screen/visual things are like that.
    Or it could be that some apps brought out the worse of the effect than others? I tried twitter and facebook and both are fine.

My Ride
    Bicycle

3 week in review:

Screen: As stated before, nothing special here other than the unconventional way to mount it. I don't have jelly effect but feel sorry for people who does. Still better than any iproducts but I would say 2K screens ARE sharper. Being 1080p in 2017 is just middle of the road.

Camera: A DXOMark of 87, so it is in the realm of flagships. Pictures from this phone is best I have seen on a cell phone. Bokeh is a gimmick, zoom while still inferior to real camera, also the best I have seen on a cell. Video performance suffers due to bad app and lack of OIS or gyroscope tied EIS like the Pixel. Shaky video unless you attach it to a gimbal.

Connectivity: This is where this handset fails.

BT: Failed out of the gate but patch 1 fixed it.
    Wifi: Failed out of the gate and after 3 patches, it's still not to be trusted. Now when I can't get online with wifi, I have no idea if it's a bad AP or bad phone. Most likely the latter.
    Cell: Also bad if you are on Freedom. Seems ok if you are on Big 3's network but I have no input on that.

Battery: Good life and Dash Charging IMO is the best in the biz. Phone doesn't burn up like QC2 or QC3.

Verdict:
    Connectivity is really the downfall for this phone. It has always been since OP1. Sad to see that 3 years later and they still can't get it right out of the gate.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-13-2017 at 01:48 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    3 week in review:

Screen: As stated before, nothing special here other than the unconventional way to mount it. I don't have jelly effect but feel sorry for people who does. Still better than any iproducts but I would say 2K screens ARE sharper. Being 1080p in 2017 is just middle of the road.

Camera: A DXOMark of 87, so it is in the realm of flagships. Pictures from this phone is best I have seen on a cell phone. Bokeh is a gimmick, zoom while still inferior to real camera, also the best I have seen on a cell. Video performance suffers due to bad app and lack of OIS or gyroscope tied EIS like the Pixel. Shaky video unless you attach it to a gimbal.

Connectivity: This is where this handset fails.

BT: Failed out of the gate but patch 1 fixed it.
    Wifi: Failed out of the gate and after 3 patches, it's still not to be trusted. Now when I can't get online with wifi, I have no idea if it's a bad AP or bad phone. Most likely the latter.
    Cell: Also bad if you are on Freedom. Seems ok if you are on Big 3's network but I have no input on that.

Battery: Good life and Dash Charging IMO is the best in the biz. Phone doesn't burn up like QC2 or QC3.

Verdict:
    Connectivity is really the downfall for this phone. It has always been since OP1. Sad to see that 3 years later and they still can't get it right out of the gate.
    I'm on Rogers and reception is great for me, no complaints. WiFi was somewhat of an issue at first but was addressed with a later patch. Haven't had problems since. Don't use BT yet, but will in a few weeks when I get my vehicle, will report at that time how that goes. Loving the battery life, and I agree, Dash Charging is amazingly fast, and phone stays normal temp. Camera is great for what I use it for, and phone is fast, so I really have no complaints. Loving it.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

My nexus5x died on the long weekend so I ended up buying a Oneplus 5.

Zero regrets. This phone is everything its cracked up to be. I honestly don't know if I'll ever need a smartphone better than this.

I am sure the S8, Iphone X, are all at the same point. But for only $650 (I got the peasant version), it works perfectly. My buddy also bought one which has the jelly screen, mine seems fine. Even with the jelly screen, it didn't bother me.

The battery life is great, and fast charge is life changing. Even using a "normal" high watt wall charger or cigarette lighter charger (2.5amp) it charges very fast.

I'm on koodo/telus network, haven't noticed any reception differences.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    seems fine. Even with the jelly screen, it didn't bother me.

The battery life is great, and fast charge is life changing.
    Agree. Never realized how awesome fast charging can be. Forgot to change phone one night, was at like 6% in the morning. Plugged her in, before leaving to work 40 min later, it was at 95%.

My Ride

Dash charge is the future. Awesome tech

My Ride

To Further prove my previous post... New article out comparing the charging systems out there.

Speed, Thermal, and Performance Comparison of Fast Charge Standards

https://www.xda-developers.com/charg...neplus-huawei/

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    Dash charge is the future. Awesome tech
    Dash Charge > Quick Charge 1/2/3.

High amperage is better than high voltage.

The problem is it's hard to find car chargers other than the official one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast