Quantcast
So... nobody excited for the OnePlus 5?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: So... nobody excited for the OnePlus 5??

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default So... nobody excited for the OnePlus 5??

It's a nice step up from the OnePlus 3T for only an extra $50. Considering some of the new BYOP plans, I am definitely considering one as I am sick of my Nexus 5X.

Full specs:

1080p screen
    Snapdragon 835
    Adreno 540
    6gb or 8gb of ram
    Android Nougat

Tech Altar had a rather scathing review of OnePlus and the 5 stating its nothing revolutionary and the pricing isn't that great. But for $650 for a full on flagship phone compared to say $900 for a frieking Google Pixel, I think the choice is clear If you can handle not having the latest OS updates, this phone seems perfect for cheap asses like myself.

Thoughts?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don't really get "excited" for cell phones

Necessary evil, replace when they get too slow to be annoying or die after a couple hours
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

I was totally excited for it until the unveil...
    For the price - absolutely, you can't go wrong. It's just missing some things that seem to make sense to have...
    - Waterproof
    - Pressure-sensitive screen
    - Image stabilization
    - Maybe a retina scanner (S8)

I was hoping to see what the unicorn colour was all about but nothing...

But if you don't care for any of that, it's not terrible. I think I over-hyped myself... Now I wait to see what the new iPhone has to offer.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I was going to go that route then I heard they will no longer provide updates/support for the One Plus 2 which came out in Aug 2015. So that made me kinda iffy. So Its a toss up now between HTC 10, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I purchased the slightly older Samsung S7 for $450 BNIB.

Coming from a Note 3, it was a worthwhile upgrade!

I recently saw someone in the Marketplace selling a Lenovo Zuk Z2 Pro and read up on it. Good specs and price, might get one of those for my GF.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I just got mine yesterday. Been used just short of 24hrs.

Nothing to get excited about.

The Good:
    - 8GB of RAM, no app ever close or need to be restarted now
    - Fast storage UFS 2.1, 700MB/s
    - Ordered on Tuesday, arrived on Thursday while most areas in world still waiting for theirs. Official launch is next week but I guess I got lucky.
    - Camera is fast, 12-16 fps on burst, full manual controls, zoom like all dual lens systems
    - Oxygen OS cleaned up a bit, quite good stock experience, no junk.
    - Gesture still cool and now expanded since I last had a OnePlus
    - Dual Sim

The indifferent:
    - Screen is carry over from 3T with just a color tune.
    - 835 being 835, just as smooth as S8.
    - Audio is ok.
    - No MicroSD slot but offer 128GB storage.

The bad:
    - Camera sucks with low light
    - Camera isn't true optical zoom past 1.6x
    - No OIS and no EIS either when taking video in 4K.
    - Bokeh is alright but too gimmicky
    - Generic phone design with big chin. Looks old in the new 18:9 all screen era.
    - Touch screen tracking isn't perfect, mostly felt playing Pokemon.
    - Automatic network search is shit on Freedom, it default to lower speed HPSA+ network. Have to manually lock it to LTE.
    - Lies and Lies, caught cheated on benchmark, and the zoom lens isn't really 2x optical.

Verdict:

At $719 for 8GB/128GB model, it is $300 cheaper than S8 and $80 cheaper than G6 and you do get more for the $. If you think you can get away with 64GB, $649 6GB model is a even better deal.

The key is how often security patches is sent out. 3/3T seems to be quarterly which is better than anything from Samsung and LG. But it's not as smoking hot deal as previous OnePlus models. And if you don't care about patches, I'm sure ZTE, Huawei and Xiaomi will have sub $600 models with 835 chipset soon.

I think Oneplus now has a brand crisis and we will seen how soon they will have to drop the Never Settle, Flagship Killer motto. Because they have settled (started to cut corner) and they ain't killing any flagships out there.

And if DJI app didn't screw up under the 18:9 resolution of S8 and G6, I would have never jump to OP5 this early since this is the only normal resolution, 835 + Band 66 supported phone out there.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-23-2017 at 02:41 PM.

I"m so shocked with how much hype this phone had... But as always Oneplus disappointed.

The lack of QHD screen and expandable storage are definite deal killers.. but worst of all is that they promoted the camera so much and it doesn't have OIS.

Yes the processor and ram are good but at the end of the day, the phone isn't so cheap for a 1080p screen.

The ZTE axon 7 was ~ $470 and it had QHD screen.. lol. Oh and it was launched much before the Oneplus 5.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Hero_X View Post
    I"m so shocked with how much hype this phone had... But as always Oneplus disappointed.

The lack of QHD screen and expandable storage are definite deal killers.. but worst of all is that they promoted the camera so much and it doesn't have OIS.

Yes the processor and ram are good but at the end of the day, the phone isn't so cheap for a 1080p screen.

The ZTE axon 7 was ~ $470 and it had QHD screen.. lol. Oh and it was launched much before the Oneplus 5.
    Yeah, OP, if price is your goal, you can't beat Axon 7. Newegg have it on sale some time at $470 or $500 with freebies. Best budget phone right now.

It's a fairly weak phone IMHO, not terrible for the price, but it's getting too close to the flagship pricing for what it offers. They cheated in benchmarks once again, and also outright lied (again) about camera capability, but in the end the performance is predictable anyways because it has off-the-shelf internals for the most part.

The camera is not very good compared to even 1-2 year old flagships, no weather sealing,weak screen, no expandable memory, etc. Their "flagship killer" motto also seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way when they release their phones which are always far from it and way over-hyped, and they try to generate sales based on outright lies. They make sure to hit a few key specs for advertising purposes and then start cutting the corners.

If you want a "bargain" phone with good specs and don't care about the things the OnePlus is missing, I would wait for the other players like ZTE to release similar or better phones for cheaper or buy a few month old flagship from a major brand.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    But it's not as smoking hot deal as previous OnePlus models. And if you don't care about patches, I'm sure ZTE, Huawei and Xiaomi will have sub $600 models with 835 chipset soon.

I think Oneplus now has a brand crisis and we will seen how soon they will have to drop the Never Settle, Flagship Killer motto. Because they have settled (started to cut corner) and they ain't killing any flagships out there.

And if DJI app didn't screw up under the 18:9 resolution of S8 and G6, I would have never jump to OP5 this early since this is the only normal resolution, 835 + Band 66 supported phone out there.
    I completely disagree that its not a smoking deal. You need to compare apples to apples, which you are not remotely doing.

G6 is $840, has less internal memory, uses snapdragon 821. So for $200 less, you get a superior phone. That's an insane difference in costs considering the margins. When people say "flagship killer", I don't think they mean it BEATS flagships. They mean on an absolute performance vs price scale, there is superior value here. Is it the best? No. But I personally feel that a lot of your points are nitpicky.

I agree that no phone is worth getting excited over as I am not 16 anymore Killramos, poor choice of wording maybe, but as I am in need of a new phone, this seems like a good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero_X View Post

The ZTE axon 7 is inferior in multiple aspects. Do you really notice screen resolution? I've never once gone "man, my phones screen resolution is bumming me out" but to each their own. It would be like saying a TV sucks with only 1080p vs 4k below 60", even if it had superior display characteristics everywhere else.

And finally, I don't think things like expandable memory are something to use as a comparative measure. Some phones have that, some don't. Phones with certain items (like expandable memory) target specific customers and were never the target audience to begin with. Its like myself and Iphones, I'll never use another one, so why would Apple cater the phone to me?

The gripes about the camera are warranted, but I'm not an instafag. I take tons of pictures (usually of cars) and then post them. They look good enough 99% of the time regardless of what phone you are using What I am getting from the comments so far is that maybe for power users, the phone is not ideal. But that's why flagship phones for $900 are available I'd think.

Edit-
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If you want a "bargain" phone with good specs and don't care about the things the OnePlus is missing, I would wait for the other players like ZTE to release similar or better phones for cheaper or buy a few month old flagship from a major brand.
    I don't get this. No other phone manufacturer has done this, at lower prices. Please provide examples, otherwise, you aren't comparing apples to apples.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 06-23-2017 at 03:42 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I was going to go that route then I heard they will no longer provide updates/support for the One Plus 2 which came out in Aug 2015. So that made me kinda iffy. So Its a toss up now between HTC 10, Samsung Galaxy S8
    I don't see how this should be a deciding factor. ALL manufacturers stop providing updates and support for old devices, including Google. Do you expect companies to keep spending R&D money on maintaining old devices when most people just keep them around for a year or two at the most?

My Ride
    is broken

Phones are not exciting to me anymore. It works and runs all my apps? What else is new these days?

Gone are the revolutions of Touch screens, built in speakers, or multiple cameras. Its all the same for the past 5 years just slightly faster or with more memory.
    All i want is 10 days battery life now.

Ill leave you guys to circle jerk over the specs and just replace mine when money warrants.

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Phones are not exciting to me anymore. It works and runs all my apps? What else is new these days?

Gone are the revolutions of Touch screens, built in speakers, or multiple cameras. Its all the same for the past 5 years just slightly faster or with more memory.
    All i want is 10 days battery life now.

Ill leave you guys to circle jerk over the specs and just replace mine when money warrants.
    As I've said many times before, the only areas of innovation these days are really with the camera, design, screen, unlocking methods, waterproofing, etc. Phones have been fast enough for all but power users for a year or two now. If you don't need those things to enhance your experience (or don't care) then good for you, it will be cheaper haha. 5 years though? That's a bit much. Screens and cameras especially as well as general device performance have made pretty enormous strides in that time, both with software and hardware. If you don't care, that's fine but it doesn't take away the fact. 5 years ago were the days of the Galaxy S3, Nexus 4, iPhone 5, etc. Those phones would be frustratingly slow to use these days outside of basic tasks, and the cameras were pretty average. If all you want is week+ battery life, you should use a flip phone. Try comparing an iPhone 5 to iPhone 7 (or 8 in 2 months) or Galaxy S3 to S8 and tell yourself they are the same, just 'slightly' faster I'm not sure too many people would agree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I completely disagree that its not a smoking deal. You need to compare apples to apples, which you are not remotely doing.
    1st of all, I could care less about the chipset. Each year there is the defacto flagship chipset. 835 is 2017, as 820/21 is 2016 and 810/808 for 2015 and so on. It doesn't differ by much and much like PC, the % of improvement is less and less every year (except 810/808, those are great hand warmer in winter but horrible in summer heat)

G6 drop in early got a last year chip. That's why it is selling itself at $200 less than Samsung S8. And given what Samsung S8 offers, there is really no reason to get a G6 unless you want to be different. The real fight is S8 vs OP5.

And for $300 difference between these two (even tho Samsung is throwing in a BT speaker and there are trade-in and carrier deals attached to them to make them even cheaper). Samsung got better screen, camera, but less storage. So it's not a whole lot of money for these factors alone.

After all I drop $750 on an OP5 because for what I care about, frequent security patches (fingerscrossed), 16:9 aspect ratio, OLED screen, band 66 LTE, clean OS, OP5 hit all the check marks and I need one right now and it's going to be my defacto drone controller this summer.

But QHD would be nice for VR (which my BB Priv still kinda good for).

In this market, OP5 is a good enough phone at a good enough price. It's not the best at everything, it's not priced like the best. And I'm ok with that. But remember at a time you could have the best spec for $350? That's how OnePlus started and how it got its fans.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-23-2017 at 05:25 PM.

My Ride
    X100 | A80

Now that the s8 has been out for a few months there are many deals out there. I think most carriers are offering about $200 off (with a plan) so in that case it's only $150 more than the OP5 and you're getting a much better screen, better camera, smaller device, SD card support, decent earbuds and local support. They're doing a crazy deal in the states right now with a trade in program, hopefully Canada gets something similar in the future for those who are looking to purchase outright.

I was a big fan of my OPO, CyanogenMod was so quick compared to the crap Samsung puts on their devices, but at the end of the day the phone was just too big with a case on it, and support from OnePlus at the time was brutal.
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I was intrigued by it, but I just can't settle for a phone that isn't at least water resistant. It's just too convenient to be able to wash it off when I need to. Therefore I shall wait until the S7 comes down to a price that I am willing to pay.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Got mine yesterday. Upgraded from a Note 3 so the speed difference alone was great for me. Anything else out now, or coming soon, is about $1000+ outright, so it made sense for me. Hopefully it lasts as long as my note 3 has, which is still kicking, just figured it was a time for an upgrade. Impulse purchase really.

So far I am super pleased with mine. I could never tell a difference between a 1080p vs 4k screen, so makes no difference to me, plus probably get better battery life with the lower spec screen. The fingerprint scanner is instant, it's amazing, given that I use an iPhone 6 for work. So far it does everything for me that I could possibly need, and supports like every single network band out there, so great for travelling, which I do often.

For anyone interested, if you use this referral link you get $30 off accessories, link

I've had the OP1, OP2, and now the OP5. I like this phone a lot more than the OP2. It's noticeably lighter, the design is nicer, and I like that the fingerprint sensor is not as indented, and it's a lot faster than the OP2. I have no clue why so many Manufactuers are putting their scanner on the back. The front makes sense to me as I can have it on the table and unlock it without picking up the phone. I hope they never change this. The camera is better, and they've expanded the off-screen gesture options by adding more possibilities. The Dash Charge technology is a lot faster with charging than my OP2, supposedly faster than other manufacturers, and doesn't heat up and slow down the phone while charging because the heat is regulated in the Charger.

Do any people actually notice a difference between QHD screen and 1080p. I doubt most wouldn't notice. The water resistance doesn't matter to me, as there's not much instances my phone would even get wet. The main problem though is the LTE is not working properly on Freedom. It doesn't automatically lock onto LTE, or even when I manually try to, most times it doesn't either. This is a Dealbreaker! It does seem that from what Xtrema has said in another thread, that it's Freedom's fault. I hope they fix this. Otherwise, I don't know if I'd want to keep the phone. 15 day return policy right?

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

It is nice, and still good value, I have been on and off using couple 1+ for last few years ... (still using the 1+X, IMO one of the best looking phone in the market) but at $650 ..and it still look like an iphone, boring looking, so I probably pass on the 1+5 this time ..
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    V8s

I don't think it's a flagship killer, per say, but I'd definitely be buying one had I not bought a 3T at the beginning of the year. I had a OPO before that, which I was a little disappointed with in terms of software/OS. I'm very happy with the 3T though.

Thing is, I can't justify nearly $1k for an appliance that I'm going to drop/break/abuse and replace in a year or two, especially when I don't really appreciate the incremental difference from a OnePlus phone to an actual flagship. I also don't want to go all the way down to a ZTE or similar phone, as I'm skeptical that the OS won't be all that fantastic, updates will be infrequent, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast