Quantcast
School Me: Lexus GX - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: School Me: Lexus GX

My Ride
    V8s

Default School Me: Lexus GX

I'm shopping around for an SUV for my wife, and have narrowed it down to a few models, one of which is the GX470/460. Budget around $20k for something that's great value, but would like to come in under that if possible. I'm not thrilled about taking on a car payment, so looking to get into something cheap and reliable.

Seems the used market for these is all over the map. Lots of them with very high kms (>250k), and pretty wide range of prices.

I have a couple of questions for anyone that's owned/owns one of these:

- What did you pay for it and how many kms on it? What constitutes a good deal for one of these?

- I've heard they run forever. Should I be scared of one with >200k on it? I've never bought a car with this many kms, and don't really like the idea... but I could be convinced.

- On a related note to the previous question: What are the common problems with this car when the mileage gets up there?

Lastly, if there's a Lexus or Toyota that's similar to this (reasonable features, great reliability) that I should be looking for that will be better value or easier to find, I'm open to suggestions.

TIA!!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Rear air craps out, lots of people replace it with springs, timing belt is a decent sized bill, so check for proof of that being changed

4Runner is the same truck, limited gets you pretty close in features too

I find while Toyotas run forever the 200km range is where you will end up sinking a decent amount into wear items, also being an older luxury vehicle you will have issues with the odd feature ie. telescopic steering wheel

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I picked one up last year, its been great!
    I paid 20k with 110km and it was an american import. (Previous owner imported it) In the States they are becoming a little harder to find in good shape as more and more people are buying them for the Offroad premise. Same basics as a V8 4runner, but with a way nicer interior and more likey driven by a soccer Mom. All of the suspension bits transfer over from a 4runner, Tacoma and early model FJ.
    Timing belt needs to be replaced at 160km, got a qute locally and it was around $1200, not a huge deal.

Rear airbags can start to leak, but its a few hundred dollars to convert to regular coils, but super easy as I did mine a few weeks ago. OEM shocks are pricey to replace, but again many people go aftermarket.
    It seems like the non navigation ones are most sought after, as you can replace with an aftermarket deck for all the modern amenities. I have oem Nav with a VAIS tech plug in for USB/ipod connectivity, and Ive been very happy with it. Sport package is also great to get, but like a needle in a haystack. They have a tinted look headlights and fogs with black interior as well as some suspension differences.

This page shows the main differences:

http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

For me, I went with a 2007 for the vvti engine and the aux port up front..also more up to date Nav.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I paid 20k with 110km and it was an american import. (Previous owner imported it) In the States they are becoming a little harder to find in good shape as more and more people are buying them for the Offroad premise. Same basics as a V8 4runner, but with a way nicer interior and more likey driven by a soccer Mom. All of the suspension bits transfer over from a 4runner, Tacoma and early model FJ.
    Timing belt needs to be replaced at 160km, got a qute locally and it was around $1200, not a huge deal.

Rear airbags can start to leak, but its a few hundred dollars to convert to regular coils, but super easy as I did mine a few weeks ago. OEM shocks are pricey to replace, but again many people go aftermarket.
    It seems like the non navigation ones are most sought after, as you can replace with an aftermarket deck for all the modern amenities. I have oem Nav with a VAIS tech plug in for USB/ipod connectivity, and Ive been very happy with it. Sport package is also great to get, but like a needle in a haystack. They have a tinted look headlights and fogs with black interior as well as some suspension differences.

This page shows the main differences:

http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

For me, I went with a 2007 for the vvti engine and the aux port up front..also more up to date Nav.
    I would pay 20k for something with 110k on it in a heartbeat. How long were you watching for before that popped up? I've been looking for a few weeks now, and people want crack prices. $16k for an american import with 261k on it? No thank you.

Having said that, literally took a break from writing this post and saw one get posted. '08 with <100k for $15k. Either it's a salvage/rebuilt or I'm getting a new car tonight

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Solid choice, would love a GX. Biggest thing I disliked about our FJ was the repair costs considering it was a toyota and lack of interior space. At least you are getting something nicer for the money in the GX.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

You should get a Ferrari 812 Superfast.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    You should get a Ferrari 812 Superfast.
    Can always count on you for down to earth advice, thanks bud.

My Ride
    V8s

Hm. Looks like it was written off a couple years ago. I mean it's so cheap so I was expecting to find something like that, but still a bit disappointing. The search continues.

Any of you guys bought a car that's been written off and recertified before? (Note, I'm not buying this one, but was tempted)
    Last edited by bjstare; 06-26-2017 at 04:53 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Bought a couple rebuilt cars, one I knew was rebuilt, but it was an old cheap beater and the rebuild was like 10 years prior, plus the body was mint... so didn't care

Other was another beater, sketchy dude that would only meet us in a parking lot and "forgot" the registration... again, so cheap i didn't care, neither had any issues

I'd say I'd start caring when resale could be an issue (ie. over $7 or $8k)

My Ride
    V8s

Just occurred to me, but this is a little odd. It shows damage history, has the estimate repair for total loss... but in the other section shows as "Normal" (i.e. not rebuilt or salvage). Glitch in the matrix.

Anyone ever seen this before?

https://reports.carproof.com/main?id...8ZiRvFIG7d0S8I

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Option A: estimate was high, and ended up getting repaired for less

Option B: was an at fault, didn't want to go through insurance, sold for parts and someone did a sketchy private "repair"

Option C: someone screwed up or was lazy when reporting some other repair for some other vehicle

I've bought damaged vehicles before and usually it says what part of the vehicle was hit and the cost of repair, the system isn't perfect

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

I still have my 2005 GX470 (have it for ~9 year), super solid, the air suspension fu-ked up once, $900 or so, not bad, consider if a Range Rover or BMW X5 air suspension could be $3K plus to fix .. timing belt not cheap, all 3 diff need service regularly .. the third roll seat is pain in the butts to put on and take off ..

The second gen GX460 is much nicer, Look and drive nicer, one button to fold/unfold the third roll, timing chain instead of belt, better gas mileage, (still a V8) worth the extra money over the older GX470, but good luck to find one for under $30G ..
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    bus

Ouch, a 38k repair bill. I would pass

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

A family member picked up a V8 4runner limited recently. They took it to Toyota for a timing belt change. It was $500. This was at Canyon Creek Toyota. I am sure they would do a Lexus one for the same price if you called there and asked, unless there are some other differences between engines.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    A family member picked up a V8 4runner limited recently. They took it to Toyota for a timing belt change. It was $500. This was at Canyon Creek Toyota. I am sure they would do a Lexus one for the same price if you called there and asked, unless there are some other differences between engines.
    A lot depends on what else they are doing... If its just timingg belt thats reasonable, most add thermostat, water pump, Idler pulley etc at the same time. All parts are the same, and it is usually cheaper to go to Toyota as opposed to Lexus. I have been having my work done at Balance Auto or the Gear Shop.

I looked for a few months for my GX, originally I wanted the black interior with grey exterior but got sick of waiting.

Although I hate this color, the price is decent for the mileage, options and year...
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
    Last edited by R-Audi; 06-27-2017 at 11:27 AM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Here is a picture of mine... recently replaced the suspension with Icon coilovers, Icon rear shocks, All Pro rear coils and SSO coil conversion. Tires are slightly larger at 265/70/17 on Konig Six-shooter wheels.

My Ride
    V8s

^That looks fantastic.

Yeah I saw that champagne colored one. It seems like it's just an OK price, nothing special. And I really don't like the idea of buying from a used dealership.

Just have to be patient. I'm open to an RX as well (my wife would probably prefer it), but they go for not much cheaper than the GX with comparable year/kms, makes it a tougher sell for me.

My Ride
    G37X

Although I hate this color, the price is decent for the mileage, options and year...
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
    They probably won't tell you it's a rebuild until after you've driven it and wasted some of your time going there though. At least that was my experience there.

Here is a picture of mine... recently replaced the suspension with Icon coilovers, Icon rear shocks, All Pro rear coils and SSO coil conversion. Tires are slightly larger at 265/70/17 on Konig Six-shooter wheels.

Thread hijack. Can you post more pics please, that thing looks pimp. I want one now!!! Anyone wanna buy a Taco? haha.

Heard a lot of good things about the GX, apparently nothing major and the typical Toyota reliability. Buddy has an 2006 LX470 - same engine as the GX470 btw, over 400k km - not a fucking issue with that thing overall mechanically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Ive got one as well, far superior to the gx460 in terms of build quality. You won't regret it
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast