Quantcast
"What's your lowest price"? how do you respond to that? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: "What's your lowest price"? how do you respond to that?

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I delete my ads when I sell the item, the people who ask "still available?" never reply so why waste my time?
    What is even more annoying is when people put "if the ad is up the item is still for sale" then you message them and it's sold. Kind of like putting "urgent" on a non-urgent email. Just defeats the purpose after too many dumb people screw around.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I don't sell a whole lot on Kijiji anymore, but when I do, I make a no-nonsense ad about what scenarios I will accept $X for. When someone asks me what my best price is, I just ask them to read the ad again.

as a buyer, I lowball the shit out of people, like embarrassingly so. I usually respond to an ad like "I know you are asking $500 for it, but I can come pick it up in an hour with $200 cash in hand if you are cool with that. Not trying to be a dick or anything, but, it's what I can realistically afford to spend on it"
    These ads have usually been up for 4 or more days, have low view counts, and it works like 80% of the time.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Holy fack so many replies. I actually ask people "what's your lowest price" usually when whatever they posted is overpriced and I want to gauge if they actually are willing to negotiate. Also if I don't want to waste a bunch of time haggling. If I came straight in with a lowball then you may never get a reply. I would never ask for expensive stuff though , ie anything over 200+

I recently sold a TV with the guy asking me whats the lowest price. I offered what I wanted and he obliged. Smooth sale no extra haggling.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    I recently sold a TV with the guy asking me whats the lowest price. I offered what I wanted and he obliged. Smooth sale no extra haggling.

You didn't kick him in the balls? Or start cussing him out and threatening to kill his family?

I don't believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by klumsy_tumbler View Post
    This is literally the WORST. I've had two people that were unimpressed when I didn't cave to their "I only brought $X with me..." schtick, only to "agree" to paying the agreed upon price, minus some money for their gas. GFY, indeed. I don't care how far you drove, that's definitely not my problem. Haven't had anyone walk away yet, they just didn't get an already discounted item for dirt cheap like they wanted.
    Yup, they never leave - probably because of the time/money it took to get there. Just a pathetic tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPulp View Post
    Oh that reminds me of when I was selling my focus!
    Was selling it to this kid from out out town, we negotiated the price and he came to pick it up. He showed up with his mom, did the normal check and were happy with it. Then his mom starts to ask about price... Her son and I explained we already negotiated. She keep throwing out offers and starting really annoying me. She explained that she had taken courses on how to negotiate. I replied that's nice. She kept trying to push and just before I was about to tell them give me the price we agreed on or get off the property her son finally got her to drop it. She even tried the not enough cash on her, she had to write a cheque for the remain It was a small amount so I accepted the risk, it cleared and all was good.

"I took a course on how to negotiate"
    How'd that work for you?
    Lol, I love how she warned you first. At the VERY least, don't warn the person you're about to negotiate with that you are about to test out everything you learned at negotiation school

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    A few times this has happened I've actually said the price just went up $10-20 if you want it now (when I knew I was giving them an awesome deal). Watch them squirm after that when they will now have to pay more then the agreed upon price and they cry that they were just negotiating or joking around to see my reaction. If you want to try and fk around it's going to cost you.
    Not a bad idea, as long as you don't really care about selling it right then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Screw you over makes it sound like they are scamming you.

They aren't. They are negotiating. Is it in poor taste? Sure, but they aren't going to ever see you again and they really don't give a f*&k what you think.

And legitimately, I've had it happen where $10 has randomly vanished that I had in my pocket to make $50 or $90. There aren't atm's on every corner anymore, shit does happen, most machines don't give 10's either. I've both been on the receiving end and have done this. Anything more than $10 though and I go get the extra $20 or whatever.

That's why I price most things in $20 increments, saves hassle that way.
    I dunno man, I've never gone to buy something and just assumed I had the exact change for it - that seems like a good way to waste both your time and the seller's. I don't have money flying out of my wallet either haha. That said, most things seem to be priced in $20 or $50 increments, what happens though is people negotiate by $5 or $10 and then show up with less and expect you to round down to the lowest $20 or $50 increment...so annoying.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by Boat View Post
    Holy fack so many replies. I actually ask people "what's your lowest price" usually when whatever they posted is overpriced and I want to gauge if they actually are willing to negotiate. Also if I don't want to waste a bunch of time haggling. If I came straight in with a lowball then you may never get a reply. I would never ask for expensive stuff though , ie anything over 200+
    Asking the seller that makes it sound like you're not willing to negotiate, so the seller already thinks you're going to be a lowballing headache. And it doesn't give the seller the impression that you're even interested in it if you can't be bothered to make an offer. Why should the seller try if you're not going to? Ask, "are you willing to negotiate". That's a good way to gauge if a seller is willing to negotiate.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Another thing I hate:

You make a deal of, let's say $190, prior to buyer showing up. Buyer shows up with just $20 bills and say I don't have change so will $180 do?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Tell him that you have change and take 200. Give him 5 back and just say "sorry man, I only have 5. It's only 5 bucks, I'm sure you don't mind."

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by Seks View Post
    Another thing I hate:

You make a deal of, let's say $190, prior to buyer showing up. Buyer shows up with just $20 bills and say I don't have change so will $180 do?
    I usually meet them at a gas station right by my place, make them run inside for change

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Another thing I hate:

That's why I always have a couple 5's and a couple 10's on me when I meet up with people.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I'd rather get lowballers in an email rather than in person.

I had a couple come look at a dining set when I lived in mohagany. Add said price was firm. They showed up, looked at it, offered half. I said no. They started sobbing "aww we drove all the way from the north west, help us out". I said "get out of my house". They were quite offended.

Joke was on me as it ended up selling for less 1 year old set, sold for 20% of purchase price, perfect condition. Fml.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Another thing I hate:

Had a guy try that on me for that exact amount. I told him either give me $200 or find change for $190. Then he magically found another $10 in the car

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    I'd rather get lowballers in an email rather than in person.

I had a couple come look at a dining set when I lived in mohagany. Add said price was firm. They showed up, looked at it, offered half. I said no. They started sobbing "aww we drove all the way from the north west, help us out". I said "get out of my house". They were quite offended.

Joke was on me as it ended up selling for less 1 year old set, sold for 20% of purchase price, perfect condition. Fml.
    Honestly, furniture is one of the most overpriced items people try to sell. Doesn't matter if it's barely used and in pristine you will only get a fraction of what you paid for it unless it's something rare or sought after.

It's been interesting reading some of the replies in the thread and what side people fall on for responses/expectations.

About a year ago I was helping liquidate an entire office for a business. So it included about 20 desks worth, tons of power tools, equipment, etc. Pretty wide range. In total had I think between 500-600 in person transactions via kijiji. Thankfully some were quite painless and walked through the back shop just picking up stuff, asking how much and adding it to the pile. Others the very opposite...

From my couple months experience with that, the "what's your lowest price" e-mail probably went without a follow up response when I replied 90%+ of the time. As a rule most of the stuff in the office was priced between 15-25% of new value assuming in great condition and knowing what items hold a better value. Some of the responses you get via kijiji are absurd. Some of the most rude and ridiculous people I have ever met in my life.

I have some hilarious interactions that range from threats, the oops i didn't bring enough, haggling after things were already put in the vehicle/dismantled all the way to me smashing an item with a sledgehammer haha.

My Ride
    Audi

In the last few years I don't really have the patience to negotiate when selling things on kijiji / beyond etc. I do research and then list the price I think is reasonable. So when asked what the lowest price is, I ask them to offer me a price that is reasonable and tell me why it's a reasonable price (ie: if the same thing is somehow on sale for less money), otherwise too bad.

My favorite is when they show and then try to negotiate with me some more. Recently had a guy show with a friend to pickup some cabinets. Friend proceed to try and lowball me right before they start taking the cabinets out of the house. I said... "This thing new is X, if you can give me a good reason why I should accept that price, I will consider it. Otherwise you can go and i'll sell someone else the cabinets". He responded with "that's not how we negotiate, the way it works is i offer you a price, and then we come somewhere in between"... to which I said, " I negotiate commercial deals for a living. I can tell you that when negotiating, don't throw out ridiculous demands because if you offend the other party they will walk away". [ he gave me the money I asked for, we then had a few chuckles about something else, i helped them load the cabinets and we were done ].

Holy there are some salty fucks in here....

When i ask "Whats your best price?" its when i think you are out to fucking lunch with your deal. If its a fair offer, I pay it without negotiation. If its close....I counter offer.

I'm not wasting my time dicking around and i assume the person getting my not doesn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    Holy there are some salty fucks in here....

When i ask "Whats your best price?" its when i think you are out to fucking lunch with your deal. If its a fair offer, I pay it without negotiation. If its close....I counter offer.

I'm not wasting my time dicking around and i assume the person getting my not doesn't either.
    If the seller is out to lunch I just offer below what I think it's worth and see where they counter. If still out to lunch then I leave.

Really though saying "what is the lowest you'll take" is exactly like saying "can I see your cards" in a game of go fish. It makes absolutely no sense at all in a negotiation and just sounds silly....

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

What, No Uppercut as a reaction guys?!

I sell and buy a fair amount on Kijiji and varagesale, and I do a LOT of firearms transactions. I do my homework on what its worth, and give below market price on almost everything unless its in demand or rare. I do a lot of national and international stuff and so working out exchanges and shipping costs sometimes come into play.

So many people expect the shipping to be included when it's already a hell of a bargain with the shipping price which I can appreciate because a lot of businesses have free or cheap shipping, but when you're prices less than a business even with the shipping its a bit ridiculous.

There are a lot of low ballers out there for sure offering sometimes 25% of your already reasonable price, and I generally dignify it with one response of half way to my lowest and oddly enough I have had good success. On the other hand when I know people are selling something for way too much (So common with guns and gun parts) and I quantify my offer with good reason they get all bent out of shape. People are weird but I don't lose any sleep over it. I try and be as cordial as I can, as some of the worst initial offers I have responded to have ended up being some of my best repeat customers.
    Travel

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by botox View Post

Honestly, furniture is one of the most overpriced items people try to sell. Doesn't matter if it's barely used and in pristine you will only get a fraction of what you paid for it unless it's something rare or sought after.
    Quite right. At the time I looked at what others were selling and compared it to the retail price. By and far most people were asking 75% of retail for used furniture. I priced all of mine at 50% retail, assumed it was a good deal. Market dictates value however.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Quite right. At the time I looked at what others were selling and compared it to the retail price. By and far most people were asking 75% of retail for used furniture. I priced all of mine at 50% retail, assumed it was a good deal. Market dictates value however.
    Yo but it's mint, only a few tears, some kid vomit I didn't clean 100% and my ass juice but other than that it's brand new.

Yea I agree, our sectional is pretty much throw away after we're done with it as far as I'm concerned. But I'm still going to put it up for 80% of retail

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5