Quantcast
94 Octane Disappearing From Some Mohawk and Husky Stations? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 94 Octane Disappearing From Some Mohawk and Husky Stations?

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

Default 94 Octane Disappearing From Some Mohawk and Husky Stations?

I don't use it myself, but it seems that 94 octane seems to be disappearing from a lot of Mohawk/Husky gas pumps. I saw an instagram post a few weeks ago that showed 91 stickers on top of what used to be 94 at one of the pumps, and then my brother this morning went to fill up at the East Lake Husky, and said he saw the same thing.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...199999996&z=11

Looks like only a handful left carry 94, anyone know if they are just phasing it out?

interesting. That must mean they are moving away from the heavy ethanol blend garbage. That would be nice

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I hope not, tons of cars running around on tunes specifically for it... including me

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I hope so, only means good things for business!

Edit-
    I'm saying this in jest of course. It would suck to remove that as an option for people, especially if tuned for it... but it probably is a positive for me

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

There was a discussion here some time ago regarding the need for ultra high octane fuels at our altitude/air density. Because of this, we can run something like -2 points here (I think Rage2 posted about this, will try to dig up)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have never let the stuff touch my cars so good riddance, screw ethanol.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

The one on 32nd Avenue N.E. has replaced 94 with 91 stickers as well. It's a real shame for people that drive a Subaru with an EJ257 as its by far the best gasoline available in Alberta for those engines seeing how prone they are to knock. Regardless of the ethanol blend it's still a far superior gasoline to say Petro Can 94 just ask Sonny at Airboy tuning what the difference is in the dyno. I typically alternate between Husky 94 and Shell 91 depending on convenience but I will be filling up exclusively with Shell 91 now.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    The one on 32nd Avenue N.E. has replaced 94 with 91 stickers as well. It's a real shame for people that drive a Subaru with an EJ257 as its by far the best gasoline available in Alberta for those engines seeing how prone they are to knock. Regardless of the ethanol blend it's still a far superior gasoline to say Petro Can 94 just ask Sonny at Airboy tuning what the difference is in the dyno. I typically alternate between Husky 94 and Shell 91 depending on convenience but I will be filling up exclusively with Shell 91 now.

Isnt it prone to knock because guys are running those turbos WAY out of their efficiency range?

I mean I have a lot of respect for tuners offering cheap solutions for power with the stock turbo. But running the vf43 near 20psi is just making it into an oversized hairdryer, thus the need to run higher octane to avoid detonation. In other words a bandaid fix for an improper setup.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Isnt it prone to knock because guys are running those turbos WAY out of their efficiency range?

I mean I have a lot of respect for tuners offering cheap solutions for power with the stock turbo. But running the vf43 near 20psi is just making it into an oversized hairdryer, thus the need to run higher octane to avoid detonation. In other words a bandaid fix for an improper setup.
    You have it backwards, you run better fuel so you can be more aggressive with the tune. And ethanol is way better for making power, and dissipating heat. So it's really good with turbos or blown setups.

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    You have it backwards, you run better fuel so you can be more aggressive with the tune. And ethanol is way better for making power, and dissipating heat. So it's really good with turbos or blown setups.
    I get that. But there is a difference between an aggressive tune and just a bad setup and slapping on a bandaid fix. If you want near 20psi on an ej257 a vf43 is too small. You're going to drastically increase charge temperatures requiring higher octane. That doesn't mean the ej257 is prone to knocking.
    Last edited by J-hop; 06-29-2017 at 03:55 PM.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

The 94 ethanol blend discussion is a can of worms waiting to be unleash.

Ehenol when mixed is super hard to tune for.
    The guaranteed minimum octane rating at the pumps is 94, but no one tank is ever the same.
    We're loosing 94 pumps here in Calgary because there is no dedicated ethanol pipeline to Calgary, and trucking it down from Edmonton is too expensive.

I say good riddance to it, there are only a few car manufacturers who offer support for correct ethonal blend fuel management, and even then it causes loads of problems as the Engine ECU has re calculate alcohol fuel percentage every time you fill up more than 20L

Subaru guys ran it to compensate for bad tunes, I used to run it in my STi, but after killing 4-5 primary o2 sensors I just stuck with shell 91.

I believe ethanol is a dying fuel, it's un sustainable here in North America.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Fuck me I will probably have to get my Civic retuned now. I guess I can get rid of my Husky rewards points card now with no 94 to buy.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

For the price per litre, I just run 100LL avgas instead of 94 as that's what the car was tuned for. Those of you without cats like me may wish to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    For the price per litre, I just run 100LL avgas instead of 94 as that's what the car was tuned for. Those of you without cats like me may wish to do the same.
    That sounds like a pain in the ass. Do you buy barrels of somewhere or pull up to an airport and fill your own storage tanks? What's it going for these days, about $1.41/L?

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Dam so this is a thing hey? Any official articles?

My Ride
    MR2

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaTuner View Post
    The 94 ethanol blend discussion is a can of worms waiting to be unleash.

Ehenol when mixed is super hard to tune for.
    The guaranteed minimum octane rating at the pumps is 94, but no one tank is ever the same.
    We're loosing 94 pumps here in Calgary because there is no dedicated ethanol pipeline to Calgary, and trucking it down from Edmonton is too expensive.

I say good riddance to it, there are only a few car manufacturers who offer support for correct ethonal blend fuel management, and even then it causes loads of problems as the Engine ECU has re calculate alcohol fuel percentage every time you fill up more than 20L

Subaru guys ran it to compensate for bad tunes, I used to run it in my STi, but after killing 4-5 primary o2 sensors I just stuck with shell 91.

I believe ethanol is a dying fuel, it's un sustainable here in North America.
    I used to live in Florida where 10% ethanol is in every gas station by law. Never heard of a tuner having issues with it, and I've had multiple cars dyno tuned multiple times over there. There's also an option for e85 (85% ethanol) at certain gas stations which provides a significant boost in power due to the ability to advance timing, and it also burns a lot cooler. The downside is that the gas mileage sucks because it burns a lot more fuel to get the same amount of energy, in joules. I had to run 1200cc fuel injectors, when 800cc would've been fine with regular 93 octane (there is no 94 in Florida). It also attracts moisture when left sitting for too long.
    Part of the reason they blend 10% by law is to support the farmers. Theres also a lot less pollution.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    There was a discussion here some time ago regarding the need for ultra high octane fuels at our altitude/air density. Because of this, we can run something like -2 points here (I think Rage2 posted about this, will try to dig up)
    That's only for naturally aspirated cars. Turbo's still need the higher octane, or anything with an aftermarket tune that's specifically runs 94 octane.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post

The EJ257 is an oversquare engine which makes it inherently knock prone. Add in a shoddy stock tune that was calibrated to make a 20 year old engine design compliant with current EPA regulations and you have an engine that even stock benefits greatly from the highest octane fuel available.

Also it has to be noted that Canadian gasoline is simply not as good as American gasoline in general. Cobb recommends Canadians use their California ACN 91 maps on Canadian cars because of this. In Vancouver sone of the GTR community cross the border as much as possible to fill up as BC Chevron 94 is worse than the Chevron 91 south of the border.
    Last edited by heavyD; 06-30-2017 at 08:00 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Husky 94 was never a great fuel for stock vehicles, or tuned vehicles with generic maps. It was great for forced induction vehicles with tunes specific for Husky 94.

This is the case because the large amount of ethanol reduces the fuel's energy density, but the higher octane value can be taken advantage of with aggressive custom tunes which overcomes that deficit and results in higher overall power. Some info on energy density here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoli...lon_equivalent

The bigger problem with vehicles tuned for Husky 94 is that it runs kind of crappy on anything but Husky 94 because the air fuel ratio is different enough compared to non ethanol fuels. Because Husky 94 isn't readily available elsewhere, your car really becomes terrible for any trips outside of the province unless you can switch to alternate maps. I believe newer standalones can compensate for this so it's better these days, but not entirely sure.

That's what I remember since I stopped tuning years ago. It's too bad Toma isn't here anymore, he would have a lot to add to this discussion, and probably more updated info since I stopped tuning.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Z

When the charge mixture is pulled into the cylinder it also cools the charge more because it has a higher latent heat of vaporization. Therefore it tunes even at a higher octane than the 94 it's stated as. Ethanol is a PHENOMENAL fuel for tuning, the more the better.

This is really shitty if true. I'd have to get both my cars retuned
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast