Quantcast
Cycling carry kit - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling carry kit

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Commuter, the ratchet style saved me hours already compared to a generic multi-tool. Looks like they still sell it http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...-0588626p.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you all have in your everyday carry kit?

I have a multitool, mini pump, patch kit, and tire levers.
    Found out the hard way last week that I should carry a tube.
    Same except I carry a tube instead of a patch kit. I used to patch tires all the time but I never do now. I'd rather catch the bus than patch!

Always use rim tape and run your tires at max psi if it's a commuter, I found that helped a bunch. I haven't popped a tube on my commuter in around 2000kms although I'm probably on my 3rd set of tubes as every time I change the tires I put in fresh tubes.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Can someone explain to me why we needed the Presta valve? Even the most high-end cars (as far as I know) still use Schrader valves.

I hate filling up my road bike because none of the pumps I use ever latch on correctly the first few tries. Super frustrating for me.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by sneek View Post
    I hate filling up my road bike because none of the pumps I use ever latch on correctly the first few tries. Super frustrating for me.
    I have this cheap Wal-Mart.com inflator on my compressor, works great first try on our cars, step-kids cars, in-laws cars, bikes, neighbors stuff.
    Name:  eaaad7f4-13db-4fe0-b763-f1543c5713b5_1.bb78eab0e3a85f198a8011c9480d52da.jpeg
Views: 320
Size:  16.2 KB

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I'm guessing that it has something to do with higher pressure in road tires. You can get an adapter to put on presta valve for Schrader fitting. My compressor barely hits 100PSI anyway. A floor pump is not that expensive and it doesn't take long to pump up a tire by hand.

I carry a spare tube, CO2 pump, CO2 cartridge, multi-tool, tire levers in my kit and I have a kit for each of my bikes so that I don't have to move them around. CO2 is really quick to use but you only get one chance so you do have to make it count. I haven't had problem with it and I had to use it three times on myself so far over the years. Keep in mind that CO2 doesn't hold very well so you should deflate and pump it back up with normal air when you get home. I have tubeless on my new road bike and I'll see how good they are.

Riding with a group is pretty safe as everyone carries a kit. You may want to carry extra going long on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    Can someone explain to me why we needed the Presta valve? Even the most high-end cars (as far as I know) still use Schrader valves.
    I've asked myself this many times as well.

I'm pretty sure lilmira is right. My gf has Schrader on her bike I run presta. We run them at about 80psi. My tubes hold pressure much longer than hers.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    You can get an adapter to put on presta valve for Schrader fitting.
    Yeah, these are only a buck or two and it'd probably be a good idea to have one on hand, or even just keep it on one of the valves.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Multi-tool, levers, tube, mini-chain tool, a few extra links of chain, pair of nitrile gloves and a mini pump. I've never used any of it, lol. The only flat I've ever had was s few blocks from home at the end of a ride, so I just walked it home and dealt with it the next day.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Both MTB and Roadie carry a patch kit, tire levers, small multi-tool, spare tube, and mini-pump. Only had to change a flat once while on a ride, and it would have been a good 40 minute walk home without the tools so I was really glad to have 'em. My chain on the roadie died once about 20 minutes from home, so I typically carry a chain tool, spare links, and a spare connector or two as well. All of this fits in or on the saddle bag (Spesh Wedgie). I also have clip-on rear fenders (SKS Mudguard) which I usually leave on unless its suuuper nice out (like tonight!).

I subscribe to the "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" mentality.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    I'm guessing that it has something to do with higher pressure in road tires.
    Ahh that makes sense, didn't think about pressure. Bought a new (used) bike last year with Prestas, and yes it does have road tires. Haven't had it out this year, so haven't looked at the pressure. I did get some adapters at Sportchek.

Ahh that makes sense, didn't think about pressure. Bought a new (used) bike last year with Prestas, and yes it does have road tires. Haven't had it out this year, so haven't looked at the pressure. I did get some adapters at Sportchek.
    Luckily all the new pumps I've bought in the last few years do both schrader and presta even though they may not look like it. In fact I don't think MEC even sells a single tire pump that is restricted to schrader.

Still good to have the adapters though.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Luckily all the new pumps I've bought in the last few years do both schrader and presta even though they may not look like it. In fact I don't think MEC even sells a single tire pump that is restricted to schrader.

Still good to have the adapters though.
    from what I've read, cheaper schrader/presta pumps will not be able to go higher PSI, might be able to go 60-80 but past that it will not be able to hold pressure anymore.
    pretty happy with the Filzer Zephyr Pro pump as it can take shrader and presta without having to change the head although it looks like the O-ring and head gets worn out easily if you use different valves, fortunately both bikes are running presta now.

I have this mini pump and had to use it on my road bike once, couldnt pump any further around 60-70psi.
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4010-9...inum-Mini-Pump

I picked this up last night as it's rated up to 100psi so I'll see how this one goes.
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5033-9...hort-Mini-Pump

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    from what I've read, cheaper schrader/presta pumps will not be able to go higher PSI, might be able to go 60-80 but past that it will not be able to hold pressure anymore.
    pretty happy with the Filzer Zephyr Pro pump as it can take shrader and presta without having to change the head although it looks like the O-ring and head gets worn out easily if you use different valves, fortunately both bikes are running presta now.

I have this mini pump and had to use it on my road bike once, couldnt pump any further around 60-70psi.
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4010-9...inum-Mini-Pump

I picked this up last night as it's rated up to 100psi so I'll see how this one goes.
    https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5033-9...hort-Mini-Pump
    That is good to know regarding your experience with the planet bike pump, I never really thought about that. I have the gem short you bought last night as my emergency pump. Ive used it once and was able to hit 80psi, but beyond that I have no idea how it will perform

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I carry 1 tire lever, (or none - quick release skewer lever works in a pinch), Spare tube, small patch kit. Chain tool, multi-tool, and a mini-pump that is both a pump and C02. (http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...on-mini-23366/)

I've had trouble with patches holding on road tires up to 100psi. I usually trash the tube also.

My Ride
    ute

Is this a road biking thread or a MTB thread?

I don't road ride, so I don't know what current tech is...but I haven't used a tube on my MTB in a few years at least.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

There is a bit of push to tubeless in road tires too recently. My TCR came with tubeless. I still carry a spare tube just in case.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Adding to this - Presta has a smaller footprint. This means a smaller hole required for the valve to fit through = increased rim strength. I would imagine this is especially important on narrow road wheels and dished wheels. It also means there should be more strength at where the valve meets the tube.

Carry kit:
    1 tube, 2 levers, 1 CO2. For super long rides I'll bring an additional CO2 or a hand pump plus a glue-on patch kit or 2nd tube. The cheap thin pre-glued patches have caused nothing but failure for me.

I just started biking so have enjoyed reading this. Also some of the reviews you guys have provided on items (pumps, etc) have help in my own purchasing. I do have one question. What kind of lock(s) do you guys have?

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    I just started biking so have enjoyed reading this. Also some of the reviews you guys have provided on items (pumps, etc) have help in my own purchasing. I do have one question. What kind of lock(s) do you guys have?
    Generally speaking, I don't leave my roadie or MTB outside.
    For my new gym-commuter, I have an ABUS Bordo 6000/75, and also carried a Kryptonite KryptoLok U-lock, and a wheel-cable (I guess I'm a touch paranoid...but it was still here when I came back!).
    I previously used a 1/2" treated chain (Magnum was the brand) which was cut through in just a few minutes.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast