Quantcast
Omar Khadr awarded $10.5 million - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Omar Khadr awarded $10.5 million

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However Mr. KHADR should be spending time in jail for his role as a teenage (not child) terrorist.
    The US being soft on treasonous terrorists can be thanked for that one I guess.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle24421830/

One week after a judge set him free, former teen terrorist Omar Khadr has won yet another legal battle with the Conservative government, after the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that he was sentenced as a juvenile, not an adult.

*snip*

Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin said it was a straightforward matter: A U.S. military commission sentenced Mr. Khadr to eight years in prison for the war crime of murder, and the mandatory adult penalty for murder in Canada is life. Therefore it had to be a juvenile penalty. The Canadian government argued that Mr. Khadr had received five concurrent penalties of eight years for murder and other charges. The judges expressed bafflement at the argument.

“We can’t slice and dice the eight years,” said Justice Marshall Rothstein, a conservative member of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    Wait, are you suggesting that Omar give money to the families of the men who invaded his home in a foreign land, killed his family, shot him multiple times and took him prisoner when he was 15 where he was tortured and held captive illegally? You think he owes them money?

Damn, I hope you're going after every american soldier who killed civilians in Afghanistan and demanding they pay money to the families of the people they killed too. They weren't even willing combatants.
    Yes, what's so hard to understand about that? He's an Al-Qaeda terrorist and his 'family' that was killed was his fellow Muslim terrorists. He was convicted of his crimes and he even bragged about it. Even so, he apologized to Christopher Speer's widow in court, and if his apology was actually genuine, he would pay out any of his outrageous settlement to her family.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by SportEL View Post
    Yes, what's so hard to understand about that? He's an Al-Qaeda terrorist and his 'family' that was killed was his fellow Muslim terrorists. He was convicted of his crimes and he even bragged about it. Even so, he apologized to Christopher Speer's widow in court, and if his apology was actually genuine, he would pay out any of his outrageous settlement to her family.
    At 15.

Do you call the 13,14 and 15 year olds in boko haram terrorists too? Did he kill any civilians? Or just foreign soldiers attacking him?

Anyways, agree to disagree. I don't think 15 year olds being forced into a life like this by their families deserve to be written off as terrorists, have their rights stripped and treated as such, especially when he didn't actually commit any attacks and I definitely don't fault him for not wanting to give money to the family of soldiers that shot him and his family up in front of him at such a young age.

Maybe if he left home on his own to join Al Qaeda, I'd be more inclined to agree.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 07-19-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Account and reflection from the US medic that saved Khader.

http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news...-recounts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Probably give them 3 billion dollars for womens rights training.
    Lol... beats the hell out of paying 10m to Omar the committed terrorist
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    Lol... beats the hell out of paying 10m to Omar the committed terrorist
    Is that on Trudeau?

My understanding is that Khadr first filed suit in 2004, with multiple Supreme Court rulings that his rights were violated (the first ruling was in 2008). Every critical review of the case I've read more or less says "Harper fucked up and Trudeau paid out to limit the costs", which were estimated to be around $40 MM should it proceed to the end of trial (where the gov't would likely have lost).

If you know something I don't, please share.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post

You're missing the DURRHURR FUCK TRUDEAU! DURRHURR sentimentality.

You know, ignoring the fact it was our law enforcement fucking up and screwing over a citizens rights.

Is that on Trudeau?

My understanding is that Khadr first filed suit in 2004, with multiple Supreme Court rulings that his rights were violated (the first ruling was in 2008). Every critical review of the case I've read more or less says "Harper fucked up and Trudeau paid out to limit the costs", which were estimated to be around $40 MM should it proceed to the end of trial (where the gov't would likely have lost).

If I recall correctly, Trudeau endorses the decision and delivered a personal apology... lol
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Who the fuck still cares about Khadr? That doesn't even make the top ten list of shit to be angry about no matter what your political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Who the fuck still cares about Khadr? That doesn't even make the top ten list of shit to be angry about no matter what your political views.
    Chill, angry village man. It was something I remembered off the top of my head.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

If I recall correctly, Trudeau endorses the decision and delivered a personal apology... lol
    He does indeed endorse the decision. He said that he'd rather pay $10.5 MM than the est. $30 - $40 MM that they'd have been on the hook for. Let's not forget that Khadr had won multiple supreme court victories. There was no way he was losing.

He does indeed endorse the decision. He said that he'd rather pay $10.5 MM than the est. $30 - $40 MM that they'd have been on the hook for. Let's not forget that Khadr had won multiple supreme court victories. There was no way he was losing.
    I still dont understand how he could win. The justice system is fucking broken. Stubborn principles over logic. CANADA!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I still dont understand how he could win. The justice system is fucking broken. Stubborn principles over logic. CANADA!
    Because the law was knowingly broken by the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Because the law was knowingly broken by the authorities.
    I get that. But laws and "canadian rights" should (IMO) have been revoked the moment you chose to fight against your own country and kill allies. This case should have sparked new considerations on when citizenship and rights can be revoked due to extreme cases.

I get that. But laws and "canadian rights" should (IMO) have been revoked the moment you chose to fight against your own country and kill allies. This case should have sparked new considerations on when citizenship and rights can be revoked due to extreme cases.
    Rights apply to *everyone* in the country, citizens or not doesn't matter they are all entitled to the same human rights which are irrevocable. The whole herp derp I am conservative I want to take away random people rights I don't like is frankly stupid in the extreme and would lead us down the path towards becoming a totalitarian cesspool. Whose to say the government decides they don't like you next time and take away your rights?

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    Rights apply to *everyone* in the country, citizens or not doesn't matter they are all entitled to the same human rights which are irrevocable. The whole herp derp I am conservative I want to take away random people rights I don't like is frankly stupid in the extreme and would lead us down the path towards becoming a totalitarian cesspool. Whose to say the government decides they don't like you next time and take away your rights?
    Lol no one wants their rights taken away. Also, no one wants their husband, wife, children killed by terrorists either. Now, imagine your family was killed in a terrorist act, and one of the terrorist gets a lottery amount of payout due to "violations". Seriously, its people like YOU that have no sense of right or wrong. Just follow the damn books and be a stubborn robot.

Random people’s rights /= convicted terrorist rights

Let’s just clear that up

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

I agree with this.

I also agree with this.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

. Now, imagine your family was killed in a terrorist act, and one of the terrorist gets a lottery amount of payout due to "violations"
    Good imagination, but not what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Random people’s rights /= convicted terrorist rights

Let’s just clear that up
    calling Khadr a terrorist is a big stretch, let alone 'murder' during a firefight.

I thought this was about Iran..?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If we want to change the laws to have a special class of offense that somehow places citizens outside the regular system of rights and protections, I guess you'd better write to your MP.

But the idea that we'd strip away those rights retroactively because of how personally disgusted we are about the offense, is downright frightening.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast