Quantcast
Omar Khadr awarded $10.5 million - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Omar Khadr awarded $10.5 million

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still dont understand how he could win. The justice system is fucking broken. Stubborn principles over logic. CANADA!
    Regardless, would you rather pay out $10.5MM or $30-40MM?

$40 million won't even buy one F-35 that drops out the sky for no reason.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Lol no one wants their rights taken away. Also, no one wants their husband, wife, children killed by terrorists either. Now, imagine your family was killed in a terrorist act, and one of the terrorist gets a lottery amount of payout due to "violations". Seriously, its people like YOU that have no sense of right or wrong. Just follow the damn books and be a stubborn robot.
    You know his "confession" was acquired under extreme duress, right? This case is far from simple, and when people such as yourself go around simplifying it, it makes a mockery of our judicial system and demonstrates just how much bias and misinformation affects otherwise good peoples decision making.

It's people like YOU that try to erode the foundations of our democracy. See how stupid that sounds? It doesn't sound any better coming from you.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by freshprince1 View Post
    I am so done with Kadhr. Can we PLEASE keep this thread on topic. PLEASE!
    lol, first time on beyond?

Khadr is a hero. Give the boy a platoon and see what he can do.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Regardless, would you rather pay out $10.5MM or $30-40MM?
    Give him 40m bb gun shots to the nuts?
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Give him 40m bb gun shots to the nuts?
    Maybe you should just answer the question I posed to you, would you rather pay out $10.5MM or $30-40MM?

Maybe you should just answer the question I posed to you, would you rather pay out $10.5MM or $30-40MM?
    The question is pointless. It is not the sum amount that bothers me. Its the reason and moral standards that the so called justice system follows. Yes, 40M is less than 10M. Its like me asking you: Would you rather I stabbed you 100x or 1000x?
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride

The question is pointless. It is not the sum amount that bothers me. Its the reason and moral standards that the so called justice system follows. Yes, 40M is less than 10M. Its like me asking you: Would you rather I stabbed you 100x or 1000x?
    False equivalence does not an argument make.

My Ride
    4x4

Look at the lawsuits over mesothelioma, the 60s scoop, indigenous hospital's, there's what 4-5 just on veterans benefits as well...

It's pretty sad that those are decades delayed and drawn out and fought ad-nauseum - really actual bad government wrong-doing against honorable citizens...

But Omar gets 10.5million - right now no problem...

That's more than most of those class actions will total. But Canada's government has taken the position to delay delay delay and letting more and more die before it will be resolved...

That's where the anger comes from. Omar should have spent his life in court trying to get resolution - we did that to Korean war vets who fought for us - why should he get preferential treatment?

Look, I totally get where you're coming from and I'll totally agree that our justice system fails us or appears to do so some cases.

I'll give you another example, auto accident soft injury payout caps being set at $5,000 - fair or not? Many people, maybe most, will argue that it is fair but can you really deem such to be fair until you are in such a situation? My wife is battling soft tissue injury issues right now and will so for the rest of her life because of a driver who was texting, ran a red light and t-boned my wife's vehicle without even touching their brakes. 2.5 years later and there's been one offer to my wife's lawyer which was turned down, the next offer will probably be the one that we'll settle on and even at that, it will not ever make up for the continuing pain and reduced mobility she'll endure for the next 30-40 years of her life. I suppose we should be thankful that she can walk and still perform day to day activities, not pain free though, or at the worst she is not dead - a second later would've probably meant a funeral for me to plan.

My Ride

I suppose we should be thankful that she can walk and still perform day to day activities, not pain free though, or at the worst she is not dead - a second later would've probably meant a funeral for me to plan.
    After I herniated my back in 2010 my life changed forever. Chronic pain changes you, but it can be manageable. Cannabis helps me immensely and doesn't turn me into a zombie. I'm sorry this happened to her man and hope that she finds an equilibrium that allows her to live (mostly) pain-free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    But Omar gets 10.5million - right now no problem...
    Suit was filed in 2004 mate.

And he - or anyone else - should not spend their life in court. It's pretty lame of you to assume people should suffer because other people are suffering. Think beyond Khadr; that's just a shitty attitude, don't you think?

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Suit was filed in 2004 mate.

And he - or anyone else - should not spend their life in court. It's pretty lame of you to assume people should suffer because other people are suffering. Think beyond Khadr; that's just a shitty attitude, don't you think?
    Suit was filed under Paul Martin government? Your point?

People who didn't actively go out and seek to disrupt Canadian forces members in a foreign country have had lawsuits delayed since the 1960s... Because our government doesn't want to settle with them or pay for their mistakes. These suits continue to this day. And the Trudeau liberals continue to refuse to settle stop filing appeals or accept the judgement. The costs of these suits are billions, but we continue to delay as a government tactic - fighting to not pay those ordered payments to spouses which has turned to children which has turned to grandchildren (probably into great grandchildren now).

But Trudeau actively settled out of court and payed out immediately to Omar.

I don't think any of that is appropriate. I don't think it's appropriate government lawyers have spent careers fighting Canadians. None of us should... But while those are under ongoing and continuing appeals and litigation it's extremely unfair to payout Khadr.

My Ride

People who didn't actively go out and seek to disrupt Canadian forces members in a foreign country have had lawsuits delayed since the 1960s... Because our government doesn't want to settle with them or pay for their mistakes. These suits continue to this day. And the Trudeau liberals continue to refuse to settle stop filing appeals or accept the judgement. The costs of these suits are billions, but we continue to delay as a government tactic - fighting to not pay those ordered payments to spouses which has turned to children which has turned to grandchildren (probably into great grandchildren now).

I don't think any of that is appropriate. I don't think it's appropriate government lawyers have spent careers fighting Canadians. None of us should... But while those are under ongoing and continuing appeals and litigation it's extremely unfair to payout Khadr.
    Two things:

1) I wasn't speaking to which government as in power when I commented that the suit started in 2004. My point was that he spend 12 years in court. It's not like it was a quick cycle.

2) Your concerns re: the government bullshit re: the lawsuits are very valid. You're right to have them. You're not right to think that the same bullshit to be subjected to anyone just because the government is being assholes in these suits. We should be demanding better treatment and processes in these cases, not trying to make everyone suffer the same bullshit.

The concerns regarding the government dragging their heels on other lawsuits don't hold a lot of weight when the Sixties Scoop lawsuit wasn't even appealed by the government and they settled (around the same time as the Khadr settlement) as was the Toth case for veterans benefits (entered settlement negotiations Dec 2017, but the sides didn't come to an agreement until Jan 2019). The other notable vet affairs cases on the books didn't come until 2019 either (one of which wasn't filed until November 2019). I also don't know what the government's mesothelioma cases are, but that's pretty much been downloaded to provincial Workers Comp claims at this point IIRC.

The Sixties Scoop was a 2009-2017. Khadr was 2013-2017. Toth was 2014-2017.

Regardless of the length, it seems like there was a government in place in 2017 that wanted to get things done with these lawsuits and settlements, no? After that we have some 2018-present and 2019-present which doesn't seem like an unreasonable timeline for nine and ten figure court cases, does it?

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Andy, these old suits are news to me. Gotta link?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Andy, these old suits are news to me. Gotta link?
    About every 3-4 months on a slow news day - tv news talks about one.

First hand I know my grandfather was involved in one from the 70s on pension issues with the forces, he died 15+ years before it was resolved.

Look, I totally get where you're coming from and I'll totally agree that our justice system fails us or appears to do so some cases.

I'll give you another example, auto accident soft injury payout caps being set at $5,000 - fair or not? Many people, maybe most, will argue that it is fair but can you really deem such to be fair until you are in such a situation? My wife is battling soft tissue injury issues right now and will so for the rest of her life because of a driver who was texting, ran a red light and t-boned my wife's vehicle without even touching their brakes. 2.5 years later and there's been one offer to my wife's lawyer which was turned down, the next offer will probably be the one that we'll settle on and even at that, it will not ever make up for the continuing pain and reduced mobility she'll endure for the next 30-40 years of her life. I suppose we should be thankful that she can walk and still perform day to day activities, not pain free though, or at the worst she is not dead - a second later would've probably meant a funeral for me to plan.
    I disagree with the fixed cap. Your example is exactly what I mean by the system is broken and special handling should be made for unique or serious cases. Exactly why I disagree with paying out a murderer/terrorist. We are not robots, we have a judgement calls that should supersede written laws if deemed rationale, reasonable, justified, etc.

My Ride

About every 3-4 months on a slow news day - tv news talks about one.

First hand I know my grandfather was involved in one from the 70s on pension issues with the forces, he died 15+ years before it was resolved.
    So in other words, you can't validate your claims? I mean, you're making 'em... maybe prove it.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    So in other words, you can't validate your claims? I mean, you're making 'em... maybe prove it.
    I'm not wasting my time digging for what case was filed on what year for what cause - you're welcome to go nuts.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 LastLast