Quantcast
2017 cheap beer thread - reviews, sales and discussion - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 cheap beer thread - reviews, sales and discussion

My Ride
    Silverado

Rolling rock 15 packs are on sale at Olympia for $19

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I love rolling rocks for hot days. May grad a couple packs for an upcoming trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Old Milwaters.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Picked up 15 Rolling Rocks from Olympia today, that's a great price. They are also selling 48 Kokannee or Bud for $69.99, which is a good per/can price for those brands.

Also ended up at Superstore Liquor today (because what else does an underemployed guy do? ) and they have the following:
    AGD 24 can packs for $25.98, which is stellar.
    PBR is 20 cans for $23.98
    Bowen Island 24 can variety pack for $30.49 (I got this after the recommendations above)

I have some lake time coming up on the weekend so I'll do a little taste-test and maybe even post some notes. Don't expect to get as plastered as last time because a)it's not strong beer and b)my wife and kids are joining me. Although, where there's a will, there's a way . . .
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Lariat

I have been picking up Alberta Genuine Draft lately. Awesome price and a pretty solid beer. The cool full top opening is nice as well!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Name:  20170716_105638~2.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  113.7 KB
    I'm working on a review right now

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Local liquor store had 'Boxer' pilsner for $9 (all in, with tax and deposit) for an 8-pack... I stared at the 24 pack of AGD for $26, but for the benefit of this thread went the Boxer

I shoulda got the AGD

Is boxer pilsner new? I think I've only seen the original boxer (lager?)

Waiting on that review ExtraSlow. I've had AGD before but not AGD light, or that Main Sail ISA

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ok team, here's the review. If you can believe it, the wifi connection here at the lake slowed me down, actually had to take notes with a pen and paper like a goddamned savage and then type them out the next day. Getting a little plastered may have contributed to the delay. Fuck it, I'm on vacation.

Anyway, here's the testing procedure. I got myself a snack of "Bugles Remix cheese flavour", because when I was a kid, bugles were something I never saw in my own house, only at my friends, so they seemed exotic. I sat myself in a muskoka chair with a cooler, a pen and paper, and to work.

Starting with the Bowen Island varieties:
    Reef Break Hemp Blonde - 14 IBU - Creamy feel, but I can't help wondering if hemp really gives it a flavour or maybe it's just marketing to hippies and stoners? In any event, slight floral note. Tastes kind of similar to vegetable thins crackers, if that makes any sense, and I sort of dislike those crackers. Very nasty when paired with Bugles, but these bugles are kind of nasty by themselves anyway, so maybe I shouldn't blame the beer.

Main Sail ISA - 40 IBU - does have a hoppy flavour, but as you might expect from a "session" ale, it's mild. I kind of hate hops, so this isn't great, and why would anyone want a bitter beer anyway? first sip of each can is too bitter and has too much hops for me, but the rest of the can is fine. These cans get empty pretty fast, so they must be fine. Absolutely horrific combination when paired with Bugles, and that's saying something coming from me.

Artisan IPA - 45 IBU - had a "drying" mouth feel and gives nasty burps, I blame the hops. Once again, I'm reminded that bitter hoppy beers are not my thing, I could have done without these in the variety pack. Strangely, they weren't as bad with the bugles, they cut the flavour really well and left my mouth feeling clean. Kind of like the ginger does with sushi. Man I could go for some sushi right now.

Westcoast Lager - 17 IBU - This has a taste reminiscent of various macro-brew "red ales", and it's quite drinkable. Not in any way a strong flavour, but not boring like most cheap lager. Feel like this would go well with fish and chips, or maybe a salmon burger. Maybe I'm reading too much into it's place of origin in Vancouver. Pairing with the bugles, it was a palatable combination, somewhat odd, but maybe that's the Styrofoam texture and synthetic cheese flavour at work.

Rolling Rock - Like most american beers, this is mislabeled. They call it an "extra pale ale", but anyone from Britain would laugh at you and call it either an "American Adjunct Lager" or more likely, "total piss". Highly carbonated, this is good for hot days and low expectations. It does have a bit of character that the folks over on the BeerAdvocate forums say is from dimethyl something. I don't know, but I do know that this beer need to be cold, like really cold. really awful skunky notes when it's warm. I'ts possible this case was old stock, as it had more of that "off" flavour that some people identify that I'm used to, and I've drank a lot of these over the years. Very handsome cans, and you can feel classier bringing this to a party than showing up with Kokanee. It's a false sense of superiority, but some days that's all we have to hang on to.

AGD Light - From our friends at Big Rock, this is reliably available for a great price. Plus it has the greatest lid of any beer yet invented by mankind. That 360 degree lid operates like a childs fruit-cup, and allows you to drink as if from a pint glass (if you are classy) or just damned quickly (if you aren't). This is a pretty boring lager beer, but it's well done, no nasty flavours, and it sells so well that it's pretty near impossible to buy an old case. The "regular" cans have a little more flavour and I think are maltier as well, but I like the crisp boring flavour of the lights best. I'm not a complicated man.

Summary, if you want something more interesting than the usual suspects in the cheap beer isle, the Bowen Island 24-pack will not disappoint. However, if your palate is trained to boring flavourless beers, you may be better served with AGD or Rolling Rock. I can say with certainty that cracking all six of these before lunchtime while sitting on a dock is a good way to kill some time and get a pretty nice buzz going.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 07-19-2017 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Also, shout-out to the Co-op beers as well. I went through some Co-op lagers before I cam out here, and I have experience with the co-op strong as well as the "red ale" version.
    Sometimes the regular lager is cheaper than the rest, and when that's true, it's a good boring beer. the strong is one of the better strong beers out there, but slightly more harsh, which is to be expected.
    The red ale is actually pretty great. has just enough extra flavour that you may be able to fool yourself into thinking it's classy, especially if you have had six or eight of something else first. It's a mild flavour, so pairs well with lawn chairs and chicks with lower back tattoos.

Someone else should post up some reviews, or at least some current prices.

I believe Big Rock makes:
    AGD(regular and Light) as stated above
    PC Beers(Pilsner, IPA, Honey Red, Light) - This week's flyer Wed-Sun 12 packs are on for $11.88, so 99 cents a can
    Co-Op(Regular, Light, Strong, Red)

Any others I don't know of?

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Banquet is the only beer I buy anymore. Fantastic all arounder, but agreed not really cheap...

Agreed, though I do quite like them on a patio. Saw them for the first time in Jamaica last summer at a resort and the trend seems to have made it here. Dark and Stormy are equally popular right now.
    Not too bad at Costco, works out to be about 1.85 per can.

AGD for after hockey. The widemouth is so money.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by bulaian View Post
    I believe Big Rock makes:
    AGD(regular and Light) as stated above
    PC Beers(Pilsner, IPA, Honey Red, Light) - This week's flyer Wed-Sun 12 packs are on for $11.88, so 99 cents a can
    Co-Op(Regular, Light, Strong, Red)

Any others I don't know of?
    They do the River Valley beers as well

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Any more reviews of the co-op beers? Coop liquor store opening a block away from me in a few weeks and getting tired of AGD and Brewhouse

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Coop beers are good for cheap beers.
    Maybe I should do a "big rock private label" review soon.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, I talked myself into it. Picked up cases three PC beers (skipped the IPA) as well as coop strong, coop red, coop light, coop lager and another rolling rock.
    I will look at the river valley stuff this week and may grab that as well.
    Hoping AGD goes on sale again.
    Headed for a ten day camping trip on Friday, so should have adequate time to taste and reflect on the finer points of these beverages.

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

I saw that PC is now making a "Cerveza" brand of beer, I would assume it to be a Corona like beer, has anyone tried it?

For my vote for best cheap beer, look up...

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

What's your guys suggestions for cheap (good?), Ginger beers? Ciders?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    for cheap (good?)... Ciders?
    This would intrigue me. I'm normally a domestic beer kind of guy, but lately I don't mind Strongbow once in a while. Can't stand sweet ciders though Needs to be crisp/dry.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've never seen a decent price on "real" dry cider. Wife drinks this, and it's usually three times the cost of my beers.

Wandered into liquor depot today and grabbed three kinds of the "River valley" beer, so this big rock taste test is shaping up nicely. $15.99 per twelve pack.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast