Quantcast
2017 cheap beer thread - reviews, sales and discussion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 cheap beer thread - reviews, sales and discussion

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default 2017 cheap beer thread - reviews, sales and discussion

After the enjoyment we all got from the 2016 "cheap strong beer thread" I thought I'd start a new one for this season.
    Last Years thread HERE: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/399...ent-styles-yo!
    I'm no longer going to try to keep it to strong beers, because some days when it's 33c, you just need some hydration.

Tried out the "new" Minhas 1905 beer from Safeway over the weekend and I'm not impressed. They were running a sale of 24 can for $26.97, which is a great price. I think regular price is $10.99 per 8-pack, which is still good. The price drew me in, but overall, it doesn't feel like a winner to me. Didn't enjoy the blue "pilsner style" or the red "lager" cans. Neither was smooth and neither was good. I don't know if they brew this as the big brewing plant in Wisconsin, or elsewhere, the can is not informative. My recommendation with this beer if you are going to buy it is to get both varieties so you can wash the taste from the red out with the blue and vice-versa. Summary, as low as $1.12/can, taste bad

Luckily with this heatwave coming up, Safeway is selling the old reliable AGD for $16.99 per 15 pack this week. I opted for the AGD light because it's going to be so damned hot. They still feature the amazing fruit-cup style lid, (technically known as the 360 degree pop top) which in my opinion is the pinnacle of mans achievement, above the wheel, the telegraph, sliced bread and internet cat videos. Summary on sale this week for $1.13/can, refreshing, amazing lid, buy it.

So all you recession fighters, cheapskates, and just plain drunks, what's your brew this year? Criteria stays the same, must be under ten bucks for a six pack, or $1.67/can.

I don't have a taste-test planned, but if anyone wants to set one up, I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Can confirm 1905 is bad. Had both varieties camping this weekend and wasn't worth it. Brava remains the go to. agd and coop are good. Some of the pc beers are ok. Bowen island has some decent beers too but the price is getting up there.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Do Moscow Mules count?

Just loving them this year, especially when it's hot out... but ginger beer prices are killing me, I need a good brand and a place to buy it for less than $2-$3/340ml, nothing too spicy, if it's too hot like that pirate brand stuff then I end up using a ton of lime to cut it and that makes it even more expensive

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

AGD or my inexpensive fav, Coors Banquet. Could use one right now.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Do Moscow Mules count?

Just loving them this year, especially when it's hot out... but ginger beer prices are killing me, I need a good brand and a place to buy it for less than $2-$3/340ml, nothing too spicy, if it's too hot like that pirate brand stuff then I end up using a ton of lime to cut it and that makes it even more expensive
    Definitely buy the PC Brand Ginger Beer, 2L for about a Dollar. I prefer it to most other kinds of boutique ginger beers. Get a cheap bottle of vodka and you are set.

I do prefer my mules as "Scotch mules" though, JW Black is perfect.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by TYMSMNY View Post
    my inexpensive fav, Coors Banquet
    Wut? Banquet is the same price as import beers/some of the most expensive beer you can get?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Coors banquet is cheap in the USA. I always see it priced as premium here though.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Do Moscow Mules count?
    I never heard of this drink until this year, and I hear about them everywhere now, did they suddenly surge in popularity?

Got a 30 pack of Budweiser for $45 and 24 pack of Kokanee for $38 that come in an insulated Kokanee backpack, those were great deals. Otherwise Co-op Gold is a decent cheap brew.

I'm also still very impressed with these ones, though the price has risen a fair amount over the past few years, now close to $10 for a 6 pack (used to be $8):

https://www.bowenislandbeer.com/home

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Banquet is the only beer I buy anymore. Fantastic all arounder, but agreed not really cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I never heard of this drink until this year, and I hear about them everywhere now, did they suddenly surge in popularity?
    Agreed, though I do quite like them on a patio. Saw them for the first time in Jamaica last summer at a resort and the trend seems to have made it here. Dark and Stormy are equally popular right now.
    Last edited by killramos; 07-05-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Thread anthem:

Last weekend I got an 8 pack of Great Western Pilsner, 10 bucks even after taxes and deposit. 4.9%, palatable, wouldn't be my go to as I'm not a pilsner guy really.

Another one of my standbys has been Red Horse by San Miguel Brewing (Phillippines). Less than 3 bucks for a full-pint tallboy of 8% beer. Found it funny the can says FOR EXPORT ONLY, they won't even drink it in the Phillippines lol.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Dark and Stormy are equally popular right now.
    Those I love, I've been noticing them gaining traction in the past few years, I hope that continues

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    Another one of my standbys has been Red Horse by San Miguel Brewing (Phillippines). Less than 3 bucks for a full-pint tallboy of 8% beer. Found it funny the can says FOR EXPORT ONLY, they won't even drink it in the Phillippines lol.
    My buddy's wife is from there, her family drinks it a lot, got us hooked on them for a while here. They call it Kicking Horse for an obvious 8% reason lol. It's odd that in the bottles it's 7%
    Last edited by Swank; 07-05-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Have we got Kirkland Beer yet? I think its brewed by Minhaus, but was $22 for 48 pack in Montana

My Ride
    Blue boy

Laziza $7.99 for a 6-pack

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    Laziza $7.99 for a 6-pack

0.00%: thumbsdow

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

A dark and stormy and a moscow mule are essentially the same thing, except one uses rum and the other vodka.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^Thanks tips
    Last edited by killramos; 07-06-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by got_mike33 View Post
    A dark and stormy and a moscow mule are essentially the same thing, except one uses rum and the other vodka.
    Also, I dunno if you knew, but dark rum and vodka are actually pretty different from one another.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post

I'm also still very impressed with these ones, though the price has risen a fair amount over the past few years, now close to $10 for a 6 pack (used to be $8):

https://www.bowenislandbeer.com/home
    Just came in to say this exact same thing. Bowen Island is my new go to, just bought another 24 today before reading this thread and imo is the best in terms of variety and bang for your buck. You get 4 different types of beer in one box. Including hemp beer! Maybe I am growing up lol
    Source: i used to advocate for cheap beer until i hit my 30's (brewhouse, AGD, cheap pc brand beer they sell at sobeys, black ice, $1/can stuff that gives you gut rot etc) and would rather pay a bit more for Bowen. Granville Island is also really good but prices start to get up there.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Also, I dunno if you knew, but dark rum and vodka are actually pretty different from one another.
    Been on the dark and stormy train for a while. Definitely not cheap how I make em (Royal Jamaican Alcoholic Ginger beer 6/$16) plus the dark rum delicious though.

Always been good with AGD for the cheaper beer though.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_hustla View Post
    Just came in to say this exact same thing. Bowen Island is my new go to, just bought another 24 today before reading this thread and imo is the best in terms of variety and bang for your buck. You get 4 different types of beer in one box. Including hemp beer! Maybe I am growing up lol
    Source: i used to advocate for cheap beer until i hit my 30's (brewhouse, AGD, cheap pc brand beer they sell at sobeys, black ice, $1/can stuff that gives you gut rot etc) and would rather pay a bit more for Bowen. Granville Island is also really good but prices start to get up there.
    Yup, another one for Bowen Island. I've been drinking it since it was $8 for a 6-pack like Swank said.
    But now the 24-pack variety is about $27-28 at Superstore on sale, used to be $23-24 on sale. Still a great deal.
    I like their Artisan IPA the most out of the pack.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast