Quantcast
ceramic paint coating? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: ceramic paint coating?

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Default ceramic paint coating?

Has anyone done ceramic paint coating on their cars?

I'm toying around with that idea for the next ride but wondering if it's worth it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

PM Tej.S or killramos, either or both has done it.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Thanks, will do.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I had a ceramic coating and full front PPF done by Rainer at SR International a couple months ago. Very happy with the results. Car is so easy to clean honestly just a quick rinse off once a week is all the car needs.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

If you're looking to save some cash, you can DIY after proper car preparation process, and save a few thousand dollars. Some products like GTecniq C1 crystal lacquer ($81) are super-easy to apply and use.

Another route will be using top-rated polymer sealants such as Sonax Polymer netshield ($27) or Menzerna Powerlock. ($36) and 30 minutes of your time.

Here is a good read: https://www.areteautosalon.com/featu...ramic-coatings.

Just like any LSP, ceramic coatings are not scratch-proof, requires maintenance, and does not last forever, its nothing different than a good 'ol wax or polymer sealant in terms of appearance, shine, and longevity.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    If you're looking to save some cash, you can DIY after proper car preparation process, and save a few thousand dollars. Some products like GTecniq C1 crystal lacquer ($81) are super-easy to apply and use.

Another route will be using top-rated polymer sealants such as Sonax Polymer netshield ($27) or Menzerna Powerlock. ($36) and 30 minutes of your time.

Here is a good read: https://www.areteautosalon.com/featu...ramic-coatings.

Just like any LSP, ceramic coatings are not scratch-proof, requires maintenance, and does not last forever, its nothing different than a good 'ol wax or polymer sealant in terms of appearance, shine, and longevity.
    Interesting read, thanks. (un)Lucky for me, I have a few months to figure out what path i want to take.

Had Jed (now at Porsche) put on the Opti Coat Pro+ on my wife's XC90. It's the first time doing a coating like this and would totally recommend it and Jed.

I have it as well. Rainer from SR International did mine too am I am very happy with it. Everyone asks if I just waxed it, but all I ever have to do is power wash it every now and then. It's already saved me from a couple big sap drips and bird poops too. Bugs come off like nothing after a highway trip.

I also talked to Jed before I did anything, he was super helpful but he works at Porsche now and the cost was $1200+. SR was much cheaper and had more options available to better suit what I needed.

its nothing different than a good 'ol wax or polymer sealant in terms of appearance, shine, and longevity.
    This part is not true. They last for years if you maintain them properly (regular washes and the odd clay bar) - nobody would buy it without knowing that. 6 months later for me already, it went through the worst of our winter, has been washed probably 20+ times, and it performs like the day I got it. It also is parked outside, exposed to the sun and elements every day. You have to wet sand or power polish these coatings off. Wax/sealant you can remove with simple household products or clay. I used to use AutoGlym sealant "Extra Gloss Protection" which has been tested as one of the very best, and the ceramic coating is already very clearly holding up better.

That link had very little actual information in it and no objective data.

Nicky - Talk to Rainer for a proper education, he can explain everything to you and show you samples of the different products. Then you can make an educated decision either way when you have the facts from someone who actually deals with it every day and uses it himself.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-05-2017 at 02:14 PM.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

Another +1 for Rainer at SR. I'm sure I've boasted about him enough on these boards haha. He is absolutely fantastic to deal with, and he's pretty OCD (which is great for his field of work).

Pretty much agree with everything Mitsu posted above. I had my coating applied before winter. Two trips to BC + winter weather.. Still looks like the day I got it.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Based from my experience, I cannot justify the cost of ceramic coatings every 2 years and its advertised level of protection.

Paintwork maintenance is key. I can drive all day long, all winter and it beads and dirt comes off easily after two bucket method and blow dry.

I was an early adopter on coatings back when there were only a few brands to choose from, it has gotten out of hand in the past couple of years.

Good luck nickyh!

^^ They last longer than 2 years, which is way longer than any wax or similar - again I think you should talk to someone who actually works with the stuff.

I think I paid about $500 for a 4-year coating. That is extremely reasonable IMHO, considering how many times I would have to wax and how much longer I would spend at the wash. Also not having to worry about sap / bugs / salt / bird poop is comforting - it's already saved my paint twice.

I had mine done with Rainer at SR International as well for their Titanium Coating line. Nano coatings do last longer; but like anything, maintenance is key. I love the ease of just a simple wash and not have to worry about waxing.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

As an avid OCD detailer myself, I've seen this hype get ridiculously out of hand and prices has skyrocketed, profit margins are insane.

What product or coating is used on your vehicle? That price is good if it includes decontamination, product, and labor.

All coatings, regardless of marketing claims, will begin to wear away from abrasion with each wash and environmental factors. 2 years is a very generous approximate as we have severe conditions here in Alberta.

Longevity is backed by proper aftercare. Once the "top layer" of the coating wears away, you'll notice a drop in hydrophobic performance but dirt and grit will still come off easily, as the chemical coating is still present in the paintwork's "pores." That is why the industry recommends "reloading." A coating should be topped up with a booster after every wash, as minimum. Decontamination is also key before applying LSPs.

Not my intention to make this post long, based from experience, research, and application, investing on a good paintwork correction (a good OCD detailer) is the only part of the industry of detailing that is worth the cost. I mean, no one wants to spend 20-30 hours of paint correction in a confined space with all these chemicals and arm-numbing, ear-aching tools.

Depending on your preference, select your finest LSP based on what is important to you.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

When I had my coating applied, it came with a full mechanical polish and detail as part of the prep. So keep that in mind when you quote your "insane profit margins".

Even if it is 2 years, and you are the only one I have ever heard quote these coatings as lasting that short a period of time, how much is an annual paint correction costing you to keep your car looking up to the same standard as my coating? Oh yea and I don't have to wax the car every month to keep it up in between the corrections. And lets not even get into the clear coat wear you are enduring by correcting your paint that often.

There is a place for everything absolutely and I am not calling down good old fashioned detailing. Just that the coatings are a pretty competitive alternative for those who don't have the free time to detail their cars that often.

I think it's a great value service and product and I would 10/10 do it again.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

As an avid OCD detailer myself, I've seen this hype get ridiculously out of hand and prices has skyrocketed, profit margins are insane.

What product or coating is used on your vehicle? That price is good if it includes decontamination, product, and labor.

All coatings, regardless of marketing claims, will begin to wear away from abrasion with each wash and environmental factors. 2 years is a very generous approximate as we have severe conditions here in Alberta.

Longevity is backed by proper aftercare. Once the "top layer" of the coating wears away, you'll notice a drop in hydrophobic performance but dirt and grit will still come off easily, as the chemical coating is still present in the paintwork's "pores." That is why the industry recommends "reloading." A coating should be topped up with a booster after every wash, as minimum. Decontamination is also key before applying LSPs.

Not my intention to make this post long, based from experience, research, and application, investing on a good paintwork correction (a good OCD detailer) is the only part of the industry of detailing that is worth the cost. I mean, no one wants to spend 20-30 hours of paint correction in a confined space with all these chemicals and arm-numbing, ear-aching tools.

Depending on your preference, select your finest LSP based on what is important to you.
    +1. You should be paying for a proper paint correction and not these rediculous prices for a coating alone. A coating will not last year and years, especially without proper maintenance and reloading.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Hasn't C1 pretty much been replaced by CSL by now? Both should be topped with Exo to provide extra gloss and hydrophobicity.

All these coatings will require annual maintenance, usually decontamination and top up to maintain the hydrophobic properties. I believe Rainer offers and recommends annual maintenance.

And just because your car is coated doesn't mean it won't get scratched, even the best detailer in the world wouldn't be able to keep a car scratch free for 5 years.

FYI, I "detail" 1-2 cars a week in the summer months. With cleaning, prep, correction, polishing, and coating it takes me 2 days to do one car.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Yes, I believe they are phasing out C1 to Crystal Serum Light.

gpomp knows his stuff, and has lots of experience in detailing, and red turbo civics lol. Nickyh - you should contact him.

I'd offer my services but is super busy this summer. Maybe in the fall, if you remember, contact me. I can also lend some tools and products for detailing if you want to DIY, it's not hard once you get to the rhythm and take your time.

I think last time I was aimed at $25 an hour for paint correction, and pay for your own choice of LSP or top PowerLock and 1Glanz for free.

I don't remember the exact name but it's made by CS-II, I think it was from the Omega line and it's supposed to last 3-4 years if I take care of it. I Can't imagine the profit margins are that good because they had my car for about 3+ hours, doing stage 1 polish, clay/paint prep, etc. They even coated my glass, door jambs, behind licence plate, rim faces, etc.

Nobody should be buying these coatings if A) the paint isn't prepped properly and B) you aren't willing to do the easy maintenance - but I don't imagine many people seek out this kind of coating without doing basic research. Anyone paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for just the application or just the product probably did zero research and is getting ripped off. It's pointless if you aren't going to prep the paint first because you won't be getting what you're expecting performance-wise. I don't get the sense anyone is buying these coatings thinking it protects them from scratches or rock chips, and if it's being sold like that anywhere that is extremely shady.

This is the first time I have ever read anything negative about these coatings, or that they don't last as long as advertised. I trust the sources that tell me it does what I paid for, and I am definitely seeing the benefits to date. It will be the very first thing I do on any new car I ever get as well. Even if it doesn't last as long as it's supposed to, it's such a reasonable price for the level of protection and hassle-free washing that I would do it again in a heartbeat. I also don't live anywhere with a driveway/garage anymore so the ol hand wash and the time consuming sealant/detail is far more difficult for me to do.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    When I had my coating applied, it came with a full mechanical polish and detail as part of the prep. So keep that in mind when you quote your "insane profit margins".

Even if it is 2 years, and you are the only one I have ever heard quote these coatings as lasting that short a period of time, how much is an annual paint correction costing you to keep your car looking up to the same standard as my coating? Oh yea and I don't have to wax the car every month to keep it up in between the corrections. And lets not even get into the clear coat wear you are enduring by correcting your paint that often.

There is a place for everything absolutely and I am not calling down good old fashioned detailing. Just that the coatings are a pretty competitive alternative for those who don't have the free time to detail their cars that often.

I think it's a great value service and product and I would 10/10 do it again.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't mean to be biased, I just wanted to help out the community and provide economical ways of protecting one's paintwork (budget balling).

I quoted a generous 2 years with proper aftercare and reloading to be realistic in real world conditions. You hear me say this because I don't get paid to advertise or claim anything for profit.

Paint correction should only be done once, with proper care and maintenance of your paintwork. I've gone almost 3 years without paint correction and minimal scratches and swirl-free on a Black Sapphire Metallic paint.

Relying on just the coating alone for years, without using a booster or reloading, is negligence of paintwork.

The majority of the cost should be eaten from the paint correction itself.

An over the counter coating like Crystal Serum Light and EXO V3 kit for $144 and CarPro Reload for $81, then DIY on which a 30ml bottle can be applied 3 times over a small SUV.

Looking at the cost perspective, let's say $80 plus $25 an hour for labor, with the LSP package above I mentioned, I can coat a vehicle 2 times (CSL, top off with EXO V3) for around $130 with 2 hours of labor.

Cost of booster or reloading, let's say $25 for product, and 2 hours for labor on decontamination (chemical wash, no clay, or correction) and LSP application.

At $25 an hour, a 20 hour paint correction is $500, plus let's say another $100-200 for materials and products used.

SONAX has their new ceramic coating out now. Have had lots of people DIY. $94.99

https://store.gtrauto.ca/collections...ic-coating-kit

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast