Quantcast
Air Conditioning! - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Mine is sure getting workout this year. Wonder if it'll crap out before the cooling season is over?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

You have bad luck, I will send over some good juju vibes.

My Ride
    V8s

Just something to consider, if install is done in the winter you'll have to have a second service appointment once it warms up for them to actually come and pressurize it (or whatever it is that they do). They couldn't even do mine when it was like 15* out, they had to come back on a warmer day.

If you're going to get one anyway, why wait until Winter? There's still at least 2 more months left of A/C weather, might as well get it ASAP if you have made the decision.

Availability only seems to be a problem if you're set on using one of the big chain installers or a very specific unit.

I’ve been walking around in a thong to keep cool. I hear it’s trendy now.

My Ride
    Fremont

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    W&J is booking 4 weeks out. They quoted me on a 3 ton XR14 for $3900 but I got a call yesterday saying they couldnt get the unit in until next year. I'm going with a 3 ton XR13 for $3800
    Was thinking I should wait until the winter but sleeping has been kinda miserable for me

Same thing happened to me with W&J, went with 3 ton XR13 for $3800.

Actually I took the hint from your June 29th post about W&J and Airtech, and went for it.
    Called early july for quote and booked the install date at the same time.
    Installed yesterday and things went well, 9am to 2:30pm, one guy working in a sweltering house.
    W&J does a milk run and drops off the equipment & materials in the morning, the tech shows up does the work and collects payment info. Boxes and trash should be picked up today.

The decibel issue is a bit over blown.
    I don't hear it at all on my deck around the corner, neighbour and I don't have windows on the AC unit side either.
    Other than my fan motor going, I get a very faint whistling at the air filter box that doesn't happen in the winter. Just needs to be fiddled with.

iirc, apri & costco (also apri), was $4500, and sept booking but fully can't remember now.
    Last edited by LLLimit; 08-05-2021 at 08:16 AM.
    -

Thanks for the info guys. Interesting that prices haven’t moved at all since I got AC at the old house years ago.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by LLLimit View Post
    Same thing happened to me with W&J, went with 3 ton XR13 for $3800.

Actually I took the hint from your June 29th post about W&J and Airtech, and went for it.
    Called early july for quote and booked the install date at the same time.
    Installed yesterday and things went well, 9am to 2:30pm, one guy working in a sweltering house.
    W&J does a milk run and drops off the equipment & materials in the morning, the tech shows up does the work and collects payment info. Boxes and trash should be picked up today.

The decibel issue is a bit over blown.
    I don't hear it at all on my deck around the corner, neighbour and I don't have windows on the AC unit side either.
    Other than my fan motor going, I get a very faint whistling at the air filter box that doesn't happen in the winter. Just needs to be fiddled with.

iirc, apri & costco (also apri), was $4500, and sept booking but fully can't remember now.
    Glad I could help! W&J is doing my house right now. One guy, said he would take between 4-5 hours. I did the math between the XR14 and XR13 and it wasn't much. W&J still ended up being the cheapest.
    Neighbor just paid 5k for a 16 seer unit and his install was yesterday. Didn't think it was worth the premium for something we use maybe 4 months a year

My Ride
    Fremont

Last edited by LLLimit; 03-21-2022 at 09:17 AM.
    -

My Ride
    '12 G37x Sedan

I tired searching to see if this has been asked already and didn't come across anything. Has anyone had a TX Valve (TXV) installed on their A/C system? If yes, do you recommend it or feel it's not needed?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wat dat?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '12 G37x Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Wat dat?
    Supposedly it's a valve that controls how much refrigerant is being pushed through from the condenser into the coil. If you're running the A/C for longer periods it ensures the coils don't freeze and become an icebox within the furnace.

I would think if you're keeping the thermostat set around 21-23, shouldn't lead to ice build up.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sounds like the kind of thing a well designed system shouldn't need. Also decreases efficiency I'm certain.

Yup, if your ac was sized correctly from the get go it shouldn’t freeze up.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by HR-ZD403 View Post
    I tired searching to see if this has been asked already and didn't come across anything. Has anyone had a TX Valve (TXV) installed on their A/C system? If yes, do you recommend it or feel it's not needed?
    Your system uses a TxV if its designed for one, or a fixed orifice if that’s the design. Retrofitting in a thermal expansion valve paired to an outdoor unit that is not designed to provide subcooling, will likely cause more issues than correcting the original setup.

In regards to freeze up issues. Older furnaces and duct sizing in this area generally do not allow sufficient CFM for proper cooling. (never mind the registers and return airs in the completely wrong locations). Add in low humidity here is the Summer months and it is a common bandaid to have a larger capacity evap coil than the capacity of the outdoor unit. ie My place I installed a 2.5 ton indoor coil with 2.0 ton orifice and 2.0 ton outdoor unit. Without the mismatch, the indoor coil would run a lower pressure and too low a superheat, probably causing an occasional freeze ups. Tx valves are used to handle variable output setups, not needed if a/c just runs flat out.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 08-05-2021 at 09:48 PM.

2 ton orifice? I see you know my ex-wife.

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I am tired from a restless 40 week pregnant wife, but I spit out my coffee,
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    That would be a 2 tonne orifice, good sir.

My Ride
    '12 G37x Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Your system uses a TxV if its designed for one, or a fixed orifice if thatÂ’s the design. Retrofitting in a thermal expansion valve paired to an outdoor unit that is not designed to provide subcooling, will likely cause more issues than correcting the original setup.

In regards to freeze up issues. Older furnaces and duct sizing in this area generally do not allow sufficient CFM for proper cooling. (never mind the registers and return airs in the completely wrong locations). Add in low humidity here is the Summer months and it is a common bandaid to have a larger capacity evap coil than the capacity of the outdoor unit. ie My place I installed a 2.5 ton indoor coil with 2.0 ton orifice and 2.0 ton outdoor unit. Without the mismatch, the indoor coil would run a lower pressure and too low a superheat, probably causing an occasional freeze ups. Tx valves are used to handle variable output setups, not needed if a/c just runs flat out.
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I'm actually in the process of getting pricing on replacing my furnace with a high efficiency model (either 2 stage variable speed fan or modulating variable speed fan) and an A/C unit. What I've been suggested are as follows:

• Modulating Furnace 80,000 BTU 3 Ton Blower with a 13 Seer Air Conditioner 2 Ton (Single Speed Condenser Fan Motor) or
    • 2 Stage DC Drive Furnace 80,000 BTU 3 Ton Blower with a 13 Seer Air Conditioner 2 Ton (Single Speed Condenser Fan Motor)

The TxV is $150.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by HR-ZD403 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I'm actually in the process of getting pricing on replacing my furnace with a high efficiency model (either 2 stage variable speed fan or modulating variable speed fan) and an A/C unit. What I've been suggested are as follows:

• Modulating Furnace 80,000 BTU 3 Ton Blower with a 13 Seer Air Conditioner 2 Ton (Single Speed Condenser Fan Motor) or
    • 2 Stage DC Drive Furnace 80,000 BTU 3 Ton Blower with a 13 Seer Air Conditioner 2 Ton (Single Speed Condenser Fan Motor)

The TxV is $150.
    Yes, use a Txv in this case.

Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast