Quantcast
Air Conditioning! - Page 36 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

2 furnaces is the real solution.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    It's a good idea in larger two story homes.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Regardless of vent openings and furnace fan run times my basement is always 1-2 degrees colder then main floor and upstairs is 1.5-2.5 degrees warmer then main floor.

Had read stuff online saying to actually just open all vents in the entire house fully (what I'm currently trying) but it ain't working worth a shit.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    That would be great for heating a home in a balanced manner, floor to floor, but typically furnaces aren’t great for cooling a home.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

Run circulating fan 24/7 when AC is off is also a smart move for multi-level houses.
    I hit the circulate function on thermostat but I dont hear any blower running at the furnace at all. How do you get this to work?
    Last edited by dj_rice; 07-13-2022 at 09:33 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Regardless of vent openings and furnace fan run times my basement is always 1-2 degrees colder then main floor and upstairs is 1.5-2.5 degrees warmer then main floor.

Had read stuff online saying to actually just open all vents in the entire house fully (what I'm currently trying) but it ain't working worth a shit.
    I don't know what a normal delta between basement and 2nd floor would be. At my house it's 2-3 degrees difference and I run fan 24/7.

Upstairs is always much warmer than the main floor for us during summer, very annoying to be honest. We have the furnace fan running 24/7 with all vents open and still upstairs is 3 degrees warmer than downstairs easily. We even bought those cyclone air vent boosters and placed in the bonus room and bedrooms and maybe has made a small difference, but not as much as I'd like.

I still would've gotten AC regardless but I make sure to let friends I provide feedback to know what to expect from an upstairs perspective. I don't know anyone who has an upstairs that is cooled properly to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post

I have my vents closed in the basement, fan running 100% of the time for recirculation, and blinds automatically opening/closing through the day to block direct sun but allow indirect natural light into the house. Those 3 gave me a difference of 1.5C between basement and top floor. I posted about it a few years ago, with all the sensor data for all 3 floors before and after.

In the winter the basement vents are opened up, and top floor vents half closed off for the other way around.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Trucks

Keep your door closed to the basement or put one in. Cold air is like a waterfall and it will most definitely pool in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
    Wish the AC would cool the bedroom instead of the basement

Attachment 107456
    You don't need the AC on, just run the blower on the furnace. As long as you have the basement vents closed, all that nice cool air will get deposited upstairs with no AC required

Rage2, doesn't your house have some sort of monster wall of glass? Even with curtains/blinds (which IIRC you have motorized ones) they still radiate heat into the house, so I don't doubt you'd always have some temp differential.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I have my vents closed in the basement, fan running 100% of the time for recirculation, and blinds automatically opening/closing through the day to block direct sun but allow indirect natural light into the house. Those 3 gave me a difference of 1.5C between basement and top floor. I posted about it a few years ago, with all the sensor data for all 3 floors before and after.

In the winter the basement vents are opened up, and top floor vents half closed off for the other way around.
    Good info. Yea I'm gonna go back to basement vents closed and fan on 100% of the time and see what happens. Our blinds are all closed during the day as well so no issues with solar heat gain that way.

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    What did you tint it with?
    Tint Tech does residential window tint.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    You don't need the AC on, just run the blower on the furnace. As long as you have the basement vents closed, all that nice cool air will get deposited upstairs with no AC required

Rage2, doesn't your house have some sort of monster wall of glass? Even with curtains/blinds (which IIRC you have motorized ones) they still radiate heat into the house, so I don't doubt you'd always have some temp differential.
    Correct. On the really hot sunny days, the main floor is actually warmer than the upstairs bedroom, and I have a higher difference between basement and main floor.

My AC actually runs a lot less than it used to because it’s always pulling cold air from the basement to circulate through the house. It hasn’t turned on once today. Yesterday at a high of 32C there was a total of 8 hours run time.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    Fun fact of the day. A/C units are categorized by tonnage because that’s exactly how much ice you would need to melt in a day to do the same cooling. 3 tons of ice per day to match a 3 ton unit. (1 ton = 12,000 BTU/hr). Also for you enginerds here, when you plan to install a 5 ton cooling system in a local municipal airport tower, you don’t need numerous massive pilings going down to bedrock to hold it’s small footprint. It only weighs 500 lbs. haha

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Fun fact of the day. A/C units are categorized by tonnage because that’s exactly how much ice you would need to melt in a day to do the same cooling. 3 tons of ice per day to match a 3 ton unit. (1 ton = 12,000 BTU/hr). Also for you enginerds here, when you plan to install a 5 ton cooling system in a local municipal airport tower, you don’t need numerous massive pilings going down to bedrock to hold it’s small footprint. It only weighs 500 lbs. haha
    Structural engineers need to be put in camps.
    There are 17 piles under a 6" slab holding up a "farmers fuel tank" at the Keephills power plant. Fuck you, Hitachi!

Name:  Screenshot_20220713-190424_Firefox.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  675.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    What did you tint it with?
    Don’t recall what we went with, but it was thru a local company called Sundown Solar Inc. It was basically car tint but for residential windows.

My Ride
    *The First*

I was just advised to try closing vents on main floor and wide open top floor & basement. Fan always running. We'll see how this goes but I don't have the tech to measure everything.
    I've also pointed a fan at the cold air return in the basement which I bet totally Turbo charges it does the square root of fuck all.

My Ride
    Trucks

Might be worth try closing everything on the main floor, return air included. Might make the basement return real noisy, might not. If you aren’t running a/c or heat you can’t hurt anything with some experimentation. I’m sure you know the basement isn't some inexhaustible source of cool air, but it should make things a little more comfortable at the top floor.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 07-14-2022 at 09:45 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fuck around and find out.

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 ... LastLast