Quantcast
Air Conditioning! - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning!

Curious what noob questions you asked.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, it's AC season at my house. Kids bedroom was still 23c with the windows open at 10pm last night. Stupid infill are hard to cool down.
    Now we enter the season of it being freezing at the breakfast table. Good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Well, it's AC season at my house. Kids bedroom was still 23c with the windows open at 10pm last night. Stupid infill are hard to cool down.
    Now we enter the season of it being freezing at the breakfast table. Good times.
    The HVAC in my house sucks as well. Cooling the upstairs to ~21 means the basement is absolutely freezing. Our media room was ~15 last night when we were watching TV.

Although, given it's a wood-frame house that's nearly 50 years old it's probably nearly time to bulldoze and rebuild.
    Last edited by bjstare; 05-14-2021 at 08:11 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This house has always been weird for temp differentials, even with furnace fan running 24/7. Whatever, we've learned to live with it. Next house will have 2 furnaces and AC only for top floor with bedrooms.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

This house has always been weird for temp differentials, even with furnace fan running 24/7. Whatever, we've learned to live with it. Next house will have 2 furnaces and AC only for top floor with bedrooms.
    Have you tried rebalancing the vents? Closing the ones downstairs and fully opening the ones upstairs?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

yes. I adjust the vents every spring and fall to get the heat or cold to where I need it.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'm interested in this. I've always figured that if you open your basement windows and put the fan on continuous that it would circulate that frigid basement air around. But there seem to be many things in HVAC that are counter intuitive.
    I can confirm that exploitng natural convection seems to generally be a good idea. I've had good luck with opening an attic hatch and a basement window, but only after the outside temp has cooled below the indoor temp. The hot air absolutely pukes up into the attic and the cold air floods into the basement.
    Do this during the day, (because you forgot to close or in the morning) and your house will hit 29°C!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My last house was extremely similar to yours. Skylights and massively high ceilings on the top floor absolutely fucked the HVAC.

2 dedicated zones is what those houses need and very few of them have them.

I’m pretty lucky in this new place, the whole house stays pretty stable ( with 15min/hr fan scheduled )

Name:  52F57312-6116-4E0E-B0C7-DD3AAEEABEE2.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  36.4 KB

I highly recommend these ecobee sensors though, and put in some intelligent programming on which sensors to use when. For example in the evening, DO NOT average in the basement in determining if AC needs to be on. That setting only looks at the bedroom sensors.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Anyone have experience with room AC units? My kids room heats up during the day and even tin foiling the windows like a drug dealer doesn't keep it below 25-28 C

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Anyone have experience with room AC units? My kids room heats up during the day and even tin foiling the windows like a drug dealer doesn't keep it below 25-28 C
    What size is the room?
    What kind of window do you have? (does it open up or does it slide left/right)
    Is the window south facing? or what direction
    Have you blocked air flow with a door sweep?

Can sell my 12,000btu portable if you're interested.
    Also have a 5000btu window unit.
    Otherwise I'm gonna wait til July to see if I get more interest on kijiji that way.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

My last house was extremely similar to yours. Skylights and massively high ceilings on the top floor absolutely fucked the HVAC.

2 dedicated zones is what those houses need and very few of them have them.

I’m pretty lucky in this new place, the whole house stays pretty stable ( with 15min/hr fan scheduled )

Name:  52F57312-6116-4E0E-B0C7-DD3AAEEABEE2.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  36.4 KB

I highly recommend these ecobee sensors though, and put in some intelligent programming on which sensors to use when. For example in the evening, DO NOT average in the basement in determining if AC needs to be on. That setting only looks at the bedroom sensors.
    Speaking of this whats everyone ecobee setting now that we have sweet, sweet A/C?

- Switch to COOL mode and just set the temp to +22c and only look at upstairs sensors?
    - Add in evening comfort setting to lower the temp a degree or two more then during the day?
    - Run AUTO mode? Seem silly to have the furnace pop on for a couple hours one night if it gets really cold outside.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    It works. We did this for my daughter for two summers before we got central AC.

Pro: Very easy to control temp of the room. Set it and forget it.
    Pro: Low cost of entry. <$400
    Con: Probably a stop-gap, and you'll want central AC at some point
    Con: Uses just about as much power as central AC (or mine did at least), if you care about that kind of thing
    Con: Takes up floor space and is ugly

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    What size is the room?
    What kind of window do you have? (does it open up or does it slide left/right)
    Is the window south facing? or what direction
    Have you blocked air flow with a door sweep?

Can sell my 12,000btu portable if you're interested.
    Also have a 5000btu window unit.
    Otherwise I'm gonna wait til July to see if I get more interest on kijiji that way.
    Room is probably 200-220 sqft or so
    3 large windows facing east, they open about 20 degree maybe (dont slide, just open out with a crank)
    Have not blocked air flow

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    It works. We did this for my daughter for two summers before we got central AC.

Pro: Very easy to control temp of the room. Set it and forget it.
    Pro: Low cost of entry. <$400
    Con: Probably a stop-gap, and you'll want central AC at some point
    Con: Uses just about as much power as central AC (or mine did at least), if you care about that kind of thing
    Con: Takes up floor space and is ugly
    What unit did you get?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Speaking of this whats everyone ecobee setting now that we have sweet, sweet A/C?

- Switch to COOL mode and just set the temp to +22c and only look at upstairs sensors?
    - Add in evening comfort setting to lower the temp a degree or two more then during the day?
    - Run AUTO mode? Seem silly to have the furnace pop on for a couple hours one night if it gets really cold outside.
    Name:  6EED7719-BC1A-424E-95E5-54221BACEFF8.jpeg
Views: 228
Size:  183.3 KB

My settings that i use 365 a year. I feel like I keep my house warmer than many. Meh.

I use auto during bridge seasons, what seems silly to me is the very small amount of cost it adds to just have the house at the temperature I want. I feel like usage costs are a near 0 portion of my bill.

If the temp dips below 0 auto gets turned off which can be a bit annoying, by June I’ll probably switch it to cool only.

22C seems really cool to me and your AC will run ALOT, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t manually override to 22 sometimes. 24 is the level where I never feel like my house is too warm.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sometimes it's not about the expense, but the feelings. My feelings burn when I use heat and cool in the same day. That's a mental block I apparently cannot get over. Could be because my AC is undersized and struggles to cool my house properly. Oh well.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Yea I haven't actually used the a/c yet so no idea if 22c is too cold but we'll see this weekend i suppose.

I'm also having trouble getting equalized temp from the main floor to upper floor for some stupid reason. Fan has been running all afternoon at I'm still seeing +16c main floor and +19.5c upstairs (those temps are with no a/c as well, just opened the windows last night). Seems like running the furnace fan cools the main floor and doesn't do fuck all upstairs.

And ExtraSlowPoke is right, I'm not running AC and heat on the same day. I'd hate myself.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Is it an infill? If so that is life. Pick comfortable upstairs bedroom, or not frozen basement. I’d shut damn near very basement event.

I find I don’t need to cool to nearly the same temp I heat to in the winter.

AC is a godsend. People who say we don’t need it in Calgary are just wrong.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-14-2021 at 04:29 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Is it an infill? If so that is life.

I find I don’t need to cool to nearly the same temp I heat to in the winter.

AC is a godsend. People who say we don’t need it in Calgary are just wrong.
    Nope. 2 storey with huge south facing windows upstairs that cook from sunrise to 3pm. 2018 build so shits tight. I'm going to mess with closing vents in the basement (duh) and main floor to see if that helps.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’d invest in the extra ecobee sensors too to help steer the thermostat. I found they helped a lot at the margins.

I personally would not own another 2 story plus basement home without 2 true HVAC zones. This is not nessecsrilly a popular opinion but I think it’s an accurate one.

A skinny infill just exacerbates the problem.

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    The HVAC in my house sucks as well. Cooling the upstairs to ~21 means the basement is absolutely freezing. Our media room was ~15 last night when we were watching TV.

Although, given it's a wood-frame house that's nearly 50 years old it's probably nearly time to bulldoze and rebuild.
    Is the heat due to big windows facing the evening sun? That's why our West-facing bedroom still gets warm in the evening despite having A/C (though it's definitely better than without the A/C). If so, you might look into getting some tint - that's what we're doing and since it's very obvious that big window is where most of the heat is coming from (I've measured 50C behind the blinds on a summer evening), it should help a ton based on what the tint guys are telling me anyway. The film goes on the exterior and apparently rejects up to 90% of the solar energy.

It's way cheaper than A/C so it might be something people who don't yet have A/C want to try before shelling out $5K for A/C. My quote was around $500 for a large window and you probably only need to do the windows that bake in the sun toward the afternoon/evening or the bedrooms.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-14-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast