Quantcast
Air Conditioning! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 43 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning!

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

Default Air Conditioning!

OK - just about had it with the heat.

Need some recommendations/referrals to a good full-home AC install.
    I'm currently looking at ARPI's which seems OK but I know nothing. What should I be asking/looking for?

Any recommendations for a good, affordable and reliable system for these hot days? We don't typically get many days of heat but I might as well invest in one now...

My Ride
    bus

I used W&J heating, best price and warranty when I got mine a few years ago. I'm sure whoever you call will be backed up for weeks from the heatwave.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Jordan Lotoski has a A/C guy
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

I just used W&J last week. They were the lowest price, followed by Gavin Rairie (mentioned a few times in past threads). Everyone else was higher price or not as well reviewed.

Jordan from W&J was very prompt to get a unit in for me. He initially quoted me a Friday install, but problems arose the next day and he couldn't get anyone in till the following Tuesday. So he had people come and work on site for bits an pieces on the prior Wednesday/Thursday and finally for 30 mins on Friday morning to get it up and running to ensure we'd be cool for the weekend.

Things to note: slimline units are tough to get a hold of right now. Jordan had to pull a few favours to get me one, also needed it since I live in a detached infill (not much room on the sides).

Brent at Shift Air Mechanical. I used them for 2 A/C units and a garage heater and they offered the best price and good service/install.

My Ride
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector; 2015 Jeep Wrangler

I went through some old threads on here looking for companies to check out. I ended up going with Air Central for my install just 2 weeks ago.

I requested a quote on a Friday morning, had a tech out later that afternoon to give me a quote. Wife and I were back and forth deciding whether or not to do it, and ended up texting the technician back the next day (didn't want to call him as it was Canada day, so just wanted to leave a note saying we were interested). He ended up calling his head office on Sunday, and got me an install for the next day at 8:30AM. We were extremely happy about this as the next week was shaping up to be hot.

The same tech came out on the Monday with one other person and installed the unit in about 3 hours (we had a fairly simple install). It has been working great and the price was slightly cheaper than the other companies we looked into (about 300-400 cheaper).

Can't recommend them enough, Air Central was amazing to deal with from start to finish!

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

Thanks all!

redblack is correct - all booking into next week for a quote which kinda sucks cause I'm late on this - as is the rest of the city it seems.
    Anyway, I got ARPI's, Airdrie Air, W&J all booked for next week. Waiting for Air Central to get back to me but I suspect they'll be next week as well.

Gavin was the only one (Jordon's guy from another thread) that has a potential opening for Friday which would be good.

By the time I get it, the heatwave will be over lol. I'll update with my quotes next week.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

When we did ours a couple years ago we got quotes from Arpis and W&J Heating. I think Arpis has a really good reputation but they were quite a bit more expensive (like $700-800) then W&J so we went with the cheaper quote. Install seems OK and no problems keeping the house cool like a meat locker haha.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Anyone with a mini-split system? Wondering how they like it, probably the better way to go for a bungelow like mine. Seer ratings also seem significantly higher.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Just a heads up regarding brands, some good insider info here:

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoker77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This X2. I do infrastructure for federal government buildings and HVAC is a big part of what I do. Being government we cant favor any one company and have every brand imaginable in the 800+ buildings I'm responsible for.

Carrier is horrible I've seen:
    -units burst into flames upon commissioning (installed professionally).
    -Factory wiring not matching the drawings they provide.
    -Old foil tape used(or incorrectly installed) that came loose and shorted out (expensive) control boards.

I'm also not a fan of Trane not because of reliability but the cost of their replacement parts are much higher than others and often is proprietary and hard to get or obsolete and require a retrofit kit that jacks up the repair cost.

York or Engineer air is what I always try and get the PM's to put in.

My Ride
    Trucks

As a tech I say Lennox all the way. And ya, f*ck Trane. Lol

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

We have a Carrier a/c unit.... and I'm not sure why but I always thought they were one of the better/best units to get?

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Brent at Shift Air Mechanical. I used them for 2 A/C units and a garage heater and they offered the best price and good service/install.
    I had Brent come out for a quote. Knowledgeable guy, gave me a good quote. Followed up the Thursday before the appointment, that we had scheduled for Monday, said he didn't know if he could make it, never heard from him again. Decided rather than chasing him down, I took my business elsewhere. Ended up going with Reliance. Sales guy felt sleazy, but he matched my quote from Brent, and the install went smoothly, so no complaints there.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    14' 435i

Action Furnace did my parents and just recently, mine!!

Couldnt be happier with the install, warranty and price of the whole thing. Very professional installers, VERY smart and knowledgeable salesperson. Even ran some extra wire for me just incase i wanted to add anything extra to my NEST thermostat. Quoted and installed with in 5 days..

My Ride
    XT6

Arpi's will take care of you.

403-236-2444
    Last edited by Chandler_Racing; 07-10-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    We have a Carrier a/c unit.... and I'm not sure why but I always thought they were one of the better/best units to get?
    I've never had a problem with Carrier on a previous house. I got the Carrier Infinity series from W&J with the 10 year warranty for $100 so I don't have to worry about a thing.

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

Quote Originally Posted by GOnSHO View Post
    Action Furnace did my parents and just recently, mine!!

Couldnt be happier with the install, warranty and price of the whole thing. Very professional installers, VERY smart and knowledgeable salesperson. Even ran some extra wire for me just incase i wanted to add anything extra to my NEST thermostat. Quoted and installed with in 5 days..
    Just requested an appt online for Action Furnace. So far I have 4 but all are next week. Not terrible but not right away either. No ones fault but my own for jumping on this late though...

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Probably because you don't hear much talk about any others. Lots of advertisements are for Carrier/Trane. To be honest, I hadn't heard of any of the other ones that are recommended before.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Just a heads up regarding brands, some good insider info here:
    This is great info. Thank you!

Good to question installers if they actually know the codes around placement of the units. There are a lot of rules that apparently these companies aren't aware of or at least the front end installer isn't (ie distance from neighbouring property, required distance from fence for property access. I now know of 3 people who have had to move theirs because they weren't up to code and neighbors complained

New houses are so close together these days that there is no way around it other than applying for an easement.

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    New houses are so close together these days that there is no way around it other than applying for an easement.
    Yea the 3 people I know that had problems all live in the new higher density/skinny lots. You end up in the situation where you either put it in a place that is a major inconvenience or apply for an easement (which I have yet to see one granted).

Shitty though, a company operating in Calgary should be able to figure it out and properly inform the customer before purchase not leave it up to the homeowner to figure it out (in these cases too late) and be screwed.

Page 1 of 43 1 2 11 ... LastLast