Quantcast
Air Conditioning! - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While initially looking to prove you incorrect, I learned that auto films are designed to shrink in order to fit curved glass and that's why they potentially "may" damage residential glass.

The link I posted was from Home Depot and it's for residential glass, not auto.

Colour (or perhaps it's tint) me shocked that the company that makes the $$expensive$$ residential tint says to only use expensive tint.
    Maybe there's a more expensive one you can find! Is there one distilled from small batch, single grain, 100% agave, fair trade, Eco Sustainable, certified professional broadcast quality with real flakes of diamonds? That's the one you want.
    Well those are their words not mine haha, I was equally curious which is why I said I wanted to ask them for a better explanation to see if it was BS or not. I'm talking to them again next week to arrange my install.

Knowing how much of a pain it is to remove cheap tint from a window after the fact is all the deterrent I would need though regardless of it's performance. That's assuming it's similar to automotive tint though, which it may not be.

If anyone is willing to do this experiment on one of their home windows I'd be interested in the results. I would think there would be more residential window tint companies offering ultra-high margin cheap tints to people though if that was the case.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Well those are their words not mine haha, I was equally curious which is why I said I wanted to ask them for a better explanation to see if it was BS or not. I'm talking to them again next week to arrange my install.

Knowing how much of a pain it is to remove cheap tint from a window after the fact is all the deterrent I would need though regardless of it's performance. That's assuming it's similar to automotive tint though, which it may not be.

If anyone is willing to do this experiment on one of their home windows I'd be interested in the results. I would think there would be more residential window tint companies offering ultra-high margin cheap tints to people though if that was the case.
    I might try it on one of mine. The double pane thing will be worth looking into.
    And I've never removed auto tint, but I did forget that it's a well known fact that it's a nightmare. Something more to consider.

I might try it on one of mine. The double pane thing will be worth looking into.
    And I've never removed auto tint, but I did forget that it's a well known fact that it's a nightmare. Something more to consider.
    I think I would be worried to put any tint on the inside of a multi-pane window, expensive or not. I would think the window itself, the window frame, etc. would get even hotter due to the extra energy being reflected back through the window the same way it came in, compared to being stopped before it goes through the first window pane. That's just a guess though.

I've had interior tinted windows on some of my double panes for years now, nothing's happened to them.

The guy did do a check with some sort of device on the glass before he decided they were tintable.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Back in 2011 we got Film installed on most of our windows (29)
    Cost was about 3k. Made quite a difference, especially on the huge west-facing windows.
    This is the product they used Bekaert Panorama
    https://www.apexfilms.ca/panorama-window-film

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Our a/c is working wonderfully and after we cool the house to 22-23c (which really doesn't take long at all) we usually just open the windows for free cooling once the sun goes down.... but isn't the point of a/c so we dont have to play the window game.

You a/c guys, are you still leaving windows open all night for free cooling?
    I was doing this in the spring, but the fucking birds are driving me insane at 5:30am, so A/C and windows closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

The tint isn't the most expensive part, it's the labour...same with a lot of things, because it's so easy to make a cunt of if you try to do it with no experience

A massive +1 for Tint Tech though, they've tinted all my vehicles and I have worked in an office where they did the architectural tint on the windows, it does help A LOT

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    I was doing this in the spring, but the fucking birds are driving me insane at 5:30am, so A/C and windows closed.
    Yeah I got A/C so I don't have to open windows anymore, I don't like the noise, particularly magpies at the ass crack of dawn. Light is also an issue and you can't keep a window open with the blinds down unless you want those banging around when a breeze comes through.

If you want more fresh air just run the fan or get an HRV.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fucking Robins are up at the crack of 4 AM right now. Sadly so have I been a few days this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Yeah I got A/C so I don't have to open windows anymore, I don't like the noise, particularly magpies at the ass crack of dawn. Light is also an issue and you can't keep a window open with the blinds down unless you want those banging around when a breeze comes through.

If you want more fresh air just run the fan or get an HRV.
    Can't see why I can't just run over them with any kind of SUV.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Oh man... AC chilling the house, what a time to be alive.

Do you guys close your basement and/or main floor vents? I have those ones closed and I’m still seeing 3-4c warmer upstairs then main floor.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I close some vents, but be careful it's not too many or you end up with insufficient total airflow and that's worse.

But yeah, AC saving my ass. Love it.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    BMW/Lexus

I have requested quotes from W&J, Action Furnace, Arpi's. Any recommendations on AC brand or product type? 2 story house 3000 sqft

My Ride
    *The First*

Ok, so water is like, what? $8/tonne? And it's surprisingly cold. Like, let's call it 4°C?
    Why don't I cut a slot in my tin ducting and jam a car radiator in there that is flushing cold, domestic water through with a delta-T of roughly 20°C from the air?
    Let's say I get slightly fancier and run that exchanged water into a cistern or rain barrels to water my lawn, later on?
    I didn't get an A in Engineering Heat Transfer, but this isn't sounding like there's too much Marth.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPC0_LxlwIY

https://www.instructables.com/Free-Air-Conditioning/

Also according to every measurement I've taken, my tap water is ~13°C so your delta is a lot less than you think
    Last edited by jwslam; 06-02-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Oh man... AC chilling the house, what a time to be alive.

Do you guys close your basement and/or main floor vents? I have those ones closed and I’m still seeing 3-4c warmer upstairs then main floor.
    I close a couple in the basement, closet and bathroom but I had a friend tell me he closed some vents and ended up with condensation dripping everywhere - I haven't had that problem but I didn't even know that was a thing, unless he just doesn't have a proper install or something. I can't say I really notice much of a difference either way though.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPC0_LxlwIY

https://www.instructables.com/Free-Air-Conditioning/

Also according to every measurement I've taken, my tap water is ~13°C so your delta is a lot less than you think
    I swear I measured it at close to 4° once but I just double checked and mine is about 9° so you're right, there is less delta-T but it's not as bad as 13°.

My Ride
    Trucks

I swear I measured it at close to 4° once but I just double checked and mine is about 9° so you're right, there is less delta-T but it's not as bad as 13°.
    You can build a swamp cooler running water across an evaporative pad in the air duct. This is the poor man’s a/c and will help the house feel cooler at the expensive of adding humidity. Compared to evaporation, straight up heat exchange with tap water isn’t going to help you much.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Swamp coolers can be reasonably effective. No replacement for real AC though.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Swamp coolers can be reasonably effective. No replacement for real AC though.
    For sure. I built a swamp cooler for the rental house in Bowness I had as a student, before there were water meters there. The good ole days when I could live on just beer, steak and ice cream and stay fit.

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast