Quantcast
Air Conditioning! - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 121

Thread: Air Conditioning!

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3
    Posts
    4,240
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My furnace is from 2000. Mid effiency. Would they just add A/C existing to this or do I have to get a new furnace as well
    You need a certain plenum width and CFM fan to push air through the coils. If its not sufficient, you can just upgrade the fan.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgarian Living in Edmonton
    My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Q50S
    Posts
    6,337
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need a certain plenum width and CFM fan to push air through the coils. If its not sufficient, you can just upgrade the fan.
    Okay thanks.

    Time to start calling companies for some quotes
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

    Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,829
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My furnace is from 2000. Mid effiency. Would they just add A/C existing to this or do I have to get a new furnace as well
    In most cases it should be possible but there are certain things that could be showstoppers.

    Also make sure you shop around and get quotes from multiple companies. For example in my case with original furnaces in my place from 1980, W&J said they would not add a/c to my system without replacing furnace, but every other company said they would. So just watch out for that

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    529
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Getting quotes from Arpis, Action furance, W&J, and Caloris. Will update the thread on which I decide to go with.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I just had Breck at Hunter's Heating install a 4 ton 13 SEER Lennox unit. Great guy and good price. www.huntersheating.com

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    529
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just had Breck at Hunter's Heating install a 4 ton 13 SEER Lennox unit. Great guy and good price. www.huntersheating.com
    Can I ask how much?

  7. #107
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    Mom's Spaghetti
    Posts
    1,856
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can I ask how much?
    You just did.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's 2 step?
    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sup sugar daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll add it on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LoL.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,338
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You just did.
    No, he asked if he was allowed to ask. He hasn't actually asked yet.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    Mom's Spaghetti
    Posts
    1,856
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, he asked if he was allowed to ask. He hasn't actually asked yet.
    That is almost as inefficient as SKR asking people to ask questions on his behalf. Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's 2 step?
    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sup sugar daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll add it on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LoL.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    529
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Got one quote so far from Arpi's.

    Lennox EL16XC1 (elite series), 16 SEER, 3.5 ton - $5300
    Lennox ML14XC1 (Merit series), rated 14-16 SEER, 3.5 ton - $4440

    Seems like it might be on the pricier side compared to what others have been quoted.

    Few more quotes coming this week.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport
    Posts
    2,591
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    So I am thinking of getting whole house AC for next year, and just got a few questions for those who had an install done.

    1. Does an AC unit require a concrete pad? If it does, does the install include the pad?
    2. Basement is finished, my utility room is across the hall from where my electrical is, with finished ceiling all across. Would the installer be able to get a wire across without destroying the ceiling? All the trusses run perpendicular to the path of the wire..

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,829
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I am thinking of getting whole house AC for next year, and just got a few questions for those who had an install done.

    1. Does an AC unit require a concrete pad? If it does, does the install include the pad?
    2. Basement is finished, my utility room is across the hall from where my electrical is, with finished ceiling all across. Would the installer be able to get a wire across without destroying the ceiling? All the trusses run perpendicular to the path of the wire..
    1. no concrete pad required, it can be either mounted on some metal brackets to the side of your house or on a rubber pad
    2. Really depends on your specific situation. If it's truly a clear path, they should be able to fish it through but otherwise they might have to cut one or two access panels to help it. Best to get them to assess your specific situation when they come in for a quote.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,140
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I am thinking of getting whole house AC for next year, and just got a few questions for those who had an install done.

    1. Does an AC unit require a concrete pad? If it does, does the install include the pad?
    2. Basement is finished, my utility room is across the hall from where my electrical is, with finished ceiling all across. Would the installer be able to get a wire across without destroying the ceiling? All the trusses run perpendicular to the path of the wire..
    1) No. You can get pre-made pads (rather than poured concrete) or brackets that bolt into the side of your house. Mine is on brackets and despite what I thought, it produces zero vibrations and I am quite pleased with it.

    2) 100% depends. If you have ceiling tiles or pot lights, they probably can fish it through, but it depends on what way your joists are going as to how much of a pain it will be. If they are perpendicular like you say, that will make it harder. Probably not a huge deal - you won't be the first person with a less than ideal install location.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cochrane, AB
    My Ride
    Trucks
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Wires are easy, can you get 2 copper pipes between the furnace and outside where the outdoor unit will be sitting? Also, the concrete pads you see everywhere are fake. They are just coated styrofoam.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    It was around $4200 (GST included). Inquire about a cash job option to save a few bucks.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,338
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Wouldn't cash job mean no warranty?

  17. #117
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    Mom's Spaghetti
    Posts
    1,856
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't cash job mean no warranty?
    Exactly. On the other hand, a lot of contractors don't honor their warranty anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's 2 step?
    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sup sugar daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll add it on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LoL.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cochrane, AB
    My Ride
    Trucks
    Posts
    1,503
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't cash job mean no warranty?
    Versus using a credit card and burning 5% of the profit.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,829
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    You need to switch payment processors if it’s costing you 5%. Should be no more than 2.5% and that’s at the very expensive end of things

  20. #120
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Pt Cruiser
    Posts
    877
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Cash jobs are fine, just get a paid invoice.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. air conditioning after D16 to B16 swap

    By super-wang in forum Performance Modifications
    Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 01-25-2006, 09:24 PM
  2. Air Conditioning - whose reputable to service?

    By yohan4ws in forum Mechanical
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 07-16-2004, 01:37 PM
  3. 2000 integra air conditioning parts

    By 98type_r in forum Automotive Parts
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 03-25-2004, 10:02 PM
  4. WTB: Air Conditioning parts for '99 Civic

    By Horatio in forum Automotive Parts
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 07-09-2003, 12:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •