Quantcast
Air Conditioning! - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning!

My Ride
    something green

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need a certain plenum width and CFM fan to push air through the coils. If its not sufficient, you can just upgrade the fan.
    The house I bought a few years ago came with A/C, the whole install could be the subject of a book called "How not to install residential air conditioning". Needless to say, it just didn't work, it would run all day and lose ground, even when running at night when the temperature outside fell below setpoint inside, it still couldn't gain ground. We often just shut it off and opened the windows.
    This year with the humidity, I finally got tired of it and put some effort into fixing it. I did the ECM Azure upgrade to the furnace and I bought the programmer so I could custom set the blower speeds. I ended up driving the motor to max which is 99% torque and 1400 rpm, added a pound of gas to it, then I went nuts with the duct sealer on all the visible ductwork to seal up the gaps. The problem with the ductwork and registers in the floors, is you need really good air volume and velocity to get the cold air up to make a dent in the room temperature, not enough and it just floats along the floor and then falls to the lowest point in the house it can. With the mods and tuning, it now can maintain 21c even when its over 30c outside. By conventional sizing my house needs almost 6 tons of cooling, I have enough airflow now it's cooling the entire house with just 3 tons on the upstairs furnace. I programmed the motor to run on heating at the same speed the old motor tach'd at.
    Too loud for Aspen

Is there a resident Beyond member that does any AC installs on the side?

I'm looking for either a 2.5 or 3 Ton side discharge unit installed before summer if anyone knows of someone. I've been getting some quotes and each company contradicts the last one. It's certainly not clear as to which make or model to purchase so I'd rather a non bias opinion haha.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

+1 Need a recommended installer

My Ride
    Trucks

W&J Heating.

There's lots of recommended installers in the thread. I don't think there is a Beyond AC guy anymore. I used Caloris and was happy with service and price, and I was supporting small business rather than a giant chain.

My research pointed me towards Lennox units for quality/reliability and FWIW my installer refused to install Carrier anymore because he said honoring their warranties was too much of a nightmare because they were constantly breaking. That of course is anecdotal.

So happy we got A/C though, once you get it you'll wonder why you waited so long.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    W&J Heating.
    x2

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Just got quotes from W&J and Arpis.

W&J is $44xx compared to Arpis Lenox unit at $52xx +. Arpis also had less expensive Goodman unit that was still more then W&J. Don't quote me on the Arpis numbers but they were in that ballpark (might have even been a little higher). And those numbers include a bunch of Costco gift cards + 2% rewards.

Booking W&J before the spring rush so the pregnant wife doesn't murder me while trying to sleep in +30c weather.

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Booking W&J before the spring rush so the pregnant wife doesn't murder me while trying to sleep in +30c weather.
    Smart man.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Just got quotes from W&J and Arpis.
    Is that in home quotes, or just phone / email?

Thanks for the reminder...

Lining up quotes now.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Is that in home quotes, or just phone / email?
    In home. Which seemed stupid, I could have sent them a photo/video of the furnace and outdoor space (all they needed).

My Ride
    XT6

In home. Which seemed stupid, I could have sent them a photo/video of the furnace and outdoor space (all they needed).
    Would you be open to sending me the quote from W&J and do you know if it's an apples to apples pricing (both the same Lennox)?

Can possibly adjust the price for you if you would be open to going with Arpi's.

I got a rough quote from WJ Heating for a Trane furnace - Once they confirm, it's probably going to be under 4k which has been the cheapest i've found for a 2.5 ton unit 14.5 seer unit.

Most other places are 5k for a 13 seer unit. Insane!

After the in home quote today I'll post it to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by B69 View Post
    I got a rough quote from WJ Heating for a Trane furnace - Once they confirm, it's probably going to be under 4k which has been the cheapest i've found for a 2.5 ton unit 14.5 seer unit.

Most other places are 5k for a 13 seer unit. Insane!

After the in home quote today I'll post it to the thread.
    I had a 16 SEER 3-ton 71db Lennox Elite unit installed for $4,530 just for another data point for you. Plus a winter cover haha.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I had a 16 SEER 3-ton 71db Lennox Elite unit installed for $4,530 just for another data point for you. Plus a winter cover haha.
    AC prices seem to have really jumped (~$500-700) during COVID, those of us who installed in the last couple years get pretty lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    AC prices seem to have really jumped (~$500-700) during COVID, those of us who installed in the last couple years get pretty lucky.
    I didn't know that - mine was done last year so maybe it's gone up since then.

I used a small business though rather than a big name like WJ, so it's possible that price is still available.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I didn't know that - mine was done last year so maybe it's gone up since then.

I used a small business though rather than a big name like WJ, so it's possible that price is still available.
    Yeah you and I got ours done around the same time. They seem to have been increased in time for this Spring - probably a combination of supply issues and materials cost increases.

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Yeah you and I got ours done around the same time. They seem to have been increased in time for this Spring - probably a combination of supply issues and materials cost increases.
    Yeah good point - I never thought about their cost for parts, which has probably gone up from the respective manufacturers like Carrier, Lennox, etc. due to their own COVID-related supply chain issues.

Any comments on the Lennox Elite VS Merit series? is the extra $$ worth it for the Elite?

Looking at these two options at the moment:

1) Lennox Elite series, 16-Seer 3.5-Ton Single Stage - $5,300
    2) Lennox Merit Series, Air Conditioner Condensing Unit, 3.5 Ton, 14 SEER, - $4400
    *these prices were from last year, but didn't end up pulling the trigger then, so will prob have to get updated prices

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    Any comments on the Lennox Elite VS Merit series? is the extra $$ worth it for the Elite?

Looking at these two options at the moment:

1) Lennox Elite series, 16-Seer 3.5-Ton Single Stage - $5,300
    2) Lennox Merit Series, Air Conditioner Condensing Unit, 3.5 Ton, 14 SEER, - $4400
    *these prices were from last year, but didn't end up pulling the trigger then, so will prob have to get updated prices

I paid up for the Lennox Elite mostly for how much quieter it was and I think it had a better warranty. I live in a duplex so not annoying my neighbor was a priority. I was originally going to go with the Signature as it's even quieter but I later found out how massive it was and ended up sticking with the Elite which is plenty quiet - about as loud as a microwave when it's running.

If those are last year's prices, those seem overpriced by about $1,000 each.

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast