Quantcast
Air Conditioning! - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning!

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Close the vents
    I just spoke to 2 companies and one guy said to shut the vents and the other said you shouldnt because it can wreck the unit?

i was totally expecting a couple month wait but it sounds like i can get one in about 3 weeks
    Last edited by Rocket1k78; 07-06-2021 at 02:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    I just spoke to 2 companies and one guy said to shut the vents and the other said you shouldnt because it can wreck the unit?

i was totally expecting a couple month wait but it sounds like i can get one in about 3 weeks
    You don't shut all the vents in your house ... what kind of hvac person did you talk to? Just close the basement (and open up the main floor to full)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post

Lol...

Don't close all vents.

Just the basement vents.

The by product will be a more efficient system as all the air will be directed where you want.

My Ride
    VAG products

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Lol...

Don't close all vents.

Just the basement vents.

The by product will be a more efficient system as all the air will be directed where you want.
    This is what I do, seems to work well

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    You don't shut all the vents in your house ... what kind of hvac person did you talk to? Just close the basement (and open up the main floor to full)
    wasnt me that said shut all the vents in the house, i was just talking about the basement
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    You're the only one that mentioned shutting all the vents in the house. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to recommend that.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

When you turn on your A/C, do you leave the fan on "auto" or "on"? Someone told me that if you have it on "on" the air will circulate better than leaving it on "auto"
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by R!zz0 View Post
    When you turn on your A/C, do you leave the fan on "auto" or "on"? Someone told me that if you have it on "on" the air will circulate better than leaving it on "auto"
    I leave my fan ON at night between 7pm and 7am, AUTO during the day. For sure the temps in the house will be more even with the fan running steady but there is a significant power usage doing this as well as increased filter changes / wear on the motor.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fan on 24/7/365. Energy use is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I leave my fan ON at night between 7pm and 7am, AUTO during the day. For sure the temps in the house will be more even with the fan running steady but there is a significant power usage doing this as well as increased filter changes / wear on the motor.
    Original 80s era furnaces here. Because they don’t have fan control from the thermostats (the auto/on is a physical switch on the furnaces), in summer I keep both fans on 24/7 (a/c only on upstairs furnace) and it keeps the entire house pretty stable. Probably waste a lot of electricity especially on days like today and given they aren’t the newer efficient types of motors but whatever, I’m on atco 3 for all until December so taking advantage of it.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Don't have Central Air yet but during the heat wave, all my co-workers were saying turn on the furnace fan to vent the cool basement air up the house. Okay I switched the thermostat fan to On from AUTO. Nothing happens. Furnace blower doesnt turn on? Before I moved in, there was a switch on the 2nd level that said Vent Switch, which when turned on, the bathroom vent would turn on and I believe the furnace fan turned on.

A few years back my furnace circuit board got shorted, so replaced with a new unit from AMRE. The guy who came to install it got everything working again but could he have possibly re-wired it in-correctly? Is this an easy fix of just connecting a wire?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Z

You should be able to just turn your furnace fan on. Not sure what's going on electrically but regardless of thermostat that should be an available option

Edit: from 2 posts ago it looks like that isn't an option on old thermostats. However, manually or automatically it should be possible
    Last edited by g-m; 07-15-2021 at 05:27 PM.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Original 80s era furnaces here. Because they don’t have fan control from the thermostats (the auto/on is a physical switch on the furnaces), in summer I keep both fans on 24/7 (a/c only on upstairs furnace) and it keeps the entire house pretty stable. Probably waste a lot of electricity especially on days like today and given they aren’t the newer efficient types of motors but whatever, I’m on atco 3 for all until December so taking advantage of it.
    I wired up a relay and light switch going to main floor to turn it on/off on my 80's furnace, works well. I used an amp clamp a few years ago to figure out the power usage and it really adds nothing to power costs even if you are paying normal prices. $20 a month if it's on 24/7 at around 5.5c/kwh if I remember correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I wired up a relay and light switch going to main floor to turn it on/off on my 80's furnace, works well. I used an amp clamp a few years ago to figure out the power usage and it really adds nothing to power costs even if you are paying normal prices. $20 a month if it's on 24/7 at around 5.5c/kwh if I remember correctly.
    I really want to do something like this. Did you wire the relay to the switch or directly to the fan wiring? Also I was thinking instead of a light switch, couldn’t it be wired to the fan control conductor coming out of the thermostat?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I really want to do something like this. Did you wire the relay to the switch or directly to the fan wiring? Also I was thinking instead of a light switch, couldn’t it be wired to the fan control conductor coming out of the thermostat?
    I've got it wired to a wall light switch that wasn't in use. To do it with new material, I'd probably use a 120v relay with 24v coil, and wire it to the thermostat. Though I do like the simplicity of just a on/off wall switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Does anyone know if it is possible to add an a/c to only 1 of 2 furnaces in a home? My fil wants to get a/c to cool the upstairs bedrooms but I told him it would be unlikely that the contractor will install on only 1 of the 2 furnaces. Not sure if im talking out of my ass or my mouth on that.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to add an a/c to only 1 of 2 furnaces in a home? My fil wants to get a/c to cool the upstairs bedrooms but I told him it would be unlikely that the contractor will install on only 1 of the 2 furnaces. Not sure if im talking out of my ass or my mouth on that.
    That’s actually quite common. Companies will definitely install just the upstairs ac.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Pretty sure 1 ac unit on 1 of 2 furnaces is quite common.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've heard that it's pretty common.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

A/c installers are dirty whores. They will do anything you pay them to. And yes, a/c is commonly on the upper floor only.

Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast