Quantcast
Air Conditioning! - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning!

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone know if it is possible to add an a/c to only 1 of 2 furnaces in a home? My fil wants to get a/c to cool the upstairs bedrooms but I told him it would be unlikely that the contractor will install on only 1 of the 2 furnaces. Not sure if im talking out of my ass or my mouth on that.
    If they do it, make sure the contractor sizes it properly because depending on how open it is from upstairs to main floor, a lot of cool air will go downwards if they leave the bedroom doors open.

I have one a/c only on my upstairs and wish it was sized a bit bigger as sometimes it has trouble keeping up. Although it was partly my fault on the sizing because i was planning on getting a second unit on my main floor furnace later on.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There's a limit to how much you can "upsize" it because the furnace will only flow so much air anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    BMW/Lexus

Does anyone know if it is possible to add an a/c to only 1 of 2 furnaces in a home? My fil wants to get a/c to cool the upstairs bedrooms but I told him it would be unlikely that the contractor will install on only 1 of the 2 furnaces. Not sure if im talking out of my ass or my mouth on that.
    Yes you can. We got a 3 ton a/c for upstairs and it keeps the main floor pretty cool. No need for a/c in the basement.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    A/c installers are dirty whores. They will do anything you pay them to. And yes, a/c is commonly on the upper floor only.
    @SKR is gonna need some contact info... For A/C installers...
    Right meow!

My Ride
    '18 Murano

We have 2 furnaces, 1 AC. 1 furnace does the main floor and 2nd floor, other one does basement (weird, I know... 1999 showhome) so totally makes sense to only have 1.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    We have 2 furnaces, 1 AC. 1 furnace does the main floor and 2nd floor, other one does basement (weird, I know... 1999 showhome) so totally makes sense to only have 1.
    I have 2 furnaces, 1 AC on top floor, but the furnaces are split differently. 1 furnace for top floor and basement, 1 furnace for only the main floor. It also struggles to keep up on 30+ days, and runs all day, but I still sleep like a baby at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Interesting seeing those 2 furnace configurations. I thought the standard for 2 furnace homes was one for main + basement, the other for upstairs.

I have two furnaces (main+basement and top floor). I had wanted only one AC unit for the upstairs.
    Asked around and was told that they don't recommend having just one for top floor because the unit will struggle to cool since it'll pick up the heat from the main floor. Is there any truth to this or can I get away with getting like a 3T unit for just the upper?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Considering most people cool their whole house with one unit I would say they are full of shit

Maybe rough in the second furnace and see how it goes?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzes View Post
    I have two furnaces (main+basement and top floor). I had wanted only one AC unit for the upstairs.
    Asked around and was told that they don't recommend having just one for top floor because the unit will struggle to cool since it'll pick up the heat from the main floor. Is there any truth to this or can I get away with getting like a 3T unit for just the upper?
    That single AC unit will have to work much harder, and run a lot more hours, and when it's 35c outdoors, you may not be able to keep your house at 17c indoors, but it can be done, and it is done, all the time. It may have a shorter service life, but so what?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

We have two furnaces and two AC units, however only the upstairs unit works and it runs all the time to try to keep up. Without closing the bedroom door you can hardly notice how much it cools it upstairs. Anyone know if they will instal an AC unit on a 70's era furnace?

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzes View Post
    That's nonsense. Just shut the doors in the upstairs bedrooms and it'll be fine. Its interesting looking at the nest energy history, even cooling to 17C on 30+ days our 3 ton AC rarely needs the 2nd stage. Configured on the upstairs furnace only.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Hybrid

We did a single unit on a zoned furnace in our 2600 sq ft 2 storey. It kept up just fine with a 22° set point on the 30°+ days... I don't want to live in a meat locker like some of you.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by dromz View Post
    We have two furnaces and two AC units, however only the upstairs unit works and it runs all the time to try to keep up. Without closing the bedroom door you can hardly notice how much it cools it upstairs. Anyone know if they will instal an AC unit on a 70's era furnace?
    Yes you should be able to find a contractor that will do it. Especially if you already have a broken one installed. It won’t be optimal/efficient but as long as you manage expectations and won’t blame the contractor for it not I don’t see why not.

Well, wife wants AC "for the rabbits", no rush on install, who to use?

My parents just got A/C put in by Caloris (same guy who did mine). Got it done in a day and no issues with waiting for parts or any of that BS. They called the larger companies like W&J and Canyon and they said they won't even quote him until September.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

wait until October to start getting price quotes, and get it installed over the winter. Don't even call around right now.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Well, wife wants AC "for the rabbits", no rush on install, who to use?
    whoever has one. I tried to get one a couple weeks ago and was told it was only about 3-4 weeks and then was told its actually a couple months. Gonna do like ES said and just wait, that week of 30+ fucked us up so bad that even 30 or less is a treat lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

W&J is booking 4 weeks out. They quoted me on a 3 ton XR14 for $3900 but I got a call yesterday saying they couldnt get the unit in until next year. I'm going with a 3 ton XR13 for $3800
    Was thinking I should wait until the winter but sleeping has been kinda miserable for me

My Ride
    VAG products

My in-laws went through Costco recently, they got in mid Sept. Not sure on the exact unit, but I know it is a Lennox. FIL made it sound like they aren't short on inventory, but are actually short on labour.

Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast