Quantcast
Air Conditioning! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning!

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Is an easement mandatory these days? There is about 10' between my place and the neighbor's and even with their AC unit, there would be tons of room if they were offset from each other and the LUB allows AC equipment to project up to 1m into a side setback.
    Last edited by FraserB; 07-10-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

I haven't read over this yet but some important info. It's on the homeowner to ensure contractor has proper permits in place
    http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...ditioning.aspx

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by GOnSHO View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Action Furnace did my parents and just recently, mine!!

Couldnt be happier with the install, warranty and price of the whole thing. Very professional installers, VERY smart and knowledgeable salesperson. Even ran some extra wire for me just incase i wanted to add anything extra to my NEST thermostat. Quoted and installed with in 5 days..
    I was pretty happy with action except they were not able to figure out hooking the humidifier into the nest so it just has a dial on the ducting. They also did a real garbage install of the nest onto the wall which I had to repair. Have been meaning to fish the other wire and hook up a limit switch to get it working with the nest. Still working great in its third year though.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by riced View Post
    Thanks all!

redblack is correct - all booking into next week for a quote which kinda sucks cause I'm late on this - as is the rest of the city it seems.
    Anyway, I got ARPI's, Airdrie Air, W&J all booked for next week. Waiting for Air Central to get back to me but I suspect they'll be next week as well.

Gavin was the only one (Jordon's guy from another thread) that has a potential opening for Friday which would be good.

By the time I get it, the heatwave will be over lol. I'll update with my quotes next week.
    Yup. Several Beyonders including myself have used Jordan's guy (Gavin). He's great.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

So i am looking as well. Whats everyones thoughts on carrier performance 13 3.5T (midde range) for 4350+gst? Comes with pad and blanket. Seems at market, but not sure.

My Ride
    14' 435i

3.5T Is MASSIVE... i have a 2T and my place is 2500sq ft and quite a few BIG windows/doors

ps. Pad and blanket are useless, causes more issues with most post people than it helps.
    Last edited by GOnSHO; 07-11-2017 at 10:10 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by GOnSHO View Post
    3.5T Is MASSIVE... i have a 2T and my place is 2500sq ft and quite a few BIG windows/doors
    Totally depends on house, orientation of windows, height relative to neighbors, etc. My house is similar size to yours and 2T was an impossible fucking struggle. A/C ran 24/7 in the summers and never catching up to desired temp (22.5C) and racking up retarded electric bills. Upgraded to 3.5T years ago to maintain set temperatures on the hottest of days. Even with 3.5T, late afternoon when sun is just cooking through all the window it's still struggling and temps go up to 23.5C.

Name:  ecobee03.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  28.9 KB

But yea, have other people I know with bigger houses and zero issues with 2T.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    14' 435i

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Totally depends on house, orientation of windows, height relative to neighbors, etc. My house is similar size to yours and 2T was an impossible fucking struggle. A/C ran 24/7 in the summers and never catching up to desired temp (22.5C) and racking up retarded electric bills. Upgraded to 3.5T years ago to maintain set temperatures on the hottest of days. Even with 3.5T, late afternoon when sun is just cooking through all the window it's still struggling and temps go up to 23.5C.

Fair enough, i have north and south facing windows and patio doors/windows, no east, and only 1 patio door facing west. The 2T doesnt quite cut it for the 2nd floor, so may ask for the upgrade, keeps the main floor nice and cool no problem though.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

We've got central air in our 2 story, it's an older unit (circa 2013) but cold as fuck.

We also have a ventilation fan that exhausts air from the cold air returns to outside. As far as I can tell it's not a HRV, just seems to suck air from the house and blow it outside. Am I right in assuming that I don't want to run this thing in the summer with the AC on?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Get some infrared window film - noticeable difference in heat during the summer, but still lets in light during the winter.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

Thanks guys!!!, 3.5T it is! We have south facing backyard and the south side of our 2 story house gets damn hot!!! So I am assuming the price that i was quoted is good then? This is my only quote.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_hustla View Post
    Thanks guys!!!, 3.5T it is! We have south facing backyard and the south side of our 2 story house gets damn hot!!! So I am assuming the price that i was quoted is good then? This is my only quote.
    In my opinion that is a decent price for a 3.5T unit but it all depends on the install and how difficult it is. My install ran through an unfinished storage area so the cost was down. I ended up getting a 2.5T for $3800 installed and felt good about it until a buddy paid $3100 for a similar unit. I would have to imagine that prices right now would be at premium.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

Just got a quote for a York 3 ton, 13 SEER AC unit. I don't have the model number but it was $3,100 installed.
    I'm waiting on three more quotes (Mon, Tues, Wed) just to see how they all compare.

^ I was about the same. Had a 3 ton York, 13 SEER unit installed 2 weeks ago for about $3200 from A&E

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Just remember that bigger is not always better:

Consider this: A system which is too powerful for its environment will reach your desired temperature quicker, meaning it cycles more often. This results?

worse energy efficiency − higher energy bills every month
    worse abilities to dehumidify – unable to achieve balanced humidity, meaning an uncomfortable environment and potential moisture damage in your property
    a greater likelihood of mechanical failure − you’ll have to replace it sooner than you would with an appropriately sized or undersized model
    http://thehtrc.com/2013/why-bigger-i...r-conditioning

Obviously if your system is running 24/7 on a regular basis, yes you need to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    I haven't read over this yet but some important info. It's on the homeowner to ensure contractor has proper permits in place
    http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...ditioning.aspx
    Just read this link. Does this mean no air conditioners are allowed in semi detached homes unless in corner lot?

No it means only on the corner/end unit that is beside the street, not neighbouring units. You would have to put the condensor at the front or rear of the property. Your condo may have rules regarding this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    No it means only on the corner/end unit that is beside the street, not neighbouring units. You would have to put the condensor at the front or rear of the property. Your condo may have rules regarding this as well.
    Yea that is what killed the A/C idea for us. To be up to code we'd have to put it at the front or back. Back it would be below our neighbors bedroom window which is open all summer, front yard it would look horrible.

J-hop, if you planted some shrubs around it and a little fancy section of fence to hide it, it'd likely work out well. You also could get a slimline condensor and itd tuck up nicely to your home. Friend of mine did that on their duplex regular cube condensor and shrubs) and it looks pretty good.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Quote Originally Posted by riced View Post
    Thanks all!

redblack is correct - all booking into next week for a quote which kinda sucks cause I'm late on this - as is the rest of the city it seems.
    Anyway, I got ARPI's, Airdrie Air, W&J all booked for next week. Waiting for Air Central to get back to me but I suspect they'll be next week as well.

Gavin was the only one (Jordon's guy from another thread) that has a potential opening for Friday which would be good.

By the time I get it, the heatwave will be over lol. I'll update with my quotes next week.
    I used gavin for my place and my parent's place, solid clean install, no issues to date. even got my humidifier working with my Nest.

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast