Quantcast
Do you tip at hotels? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Do you tip at hotels?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

41 56.16%
  • Only on the last day of the stay

11 15.07%
  • Each day of the stay

11 15.07%
  • Other???

10 13.70%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you tip at hotels?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Do you tip at hotels?

Per poll; discuss.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I'm pretty all over the place, in Canada or the States I don't tip at all ( what kind of extra service are they ever going to provide me if I did tip up here? ).

I tip when I'm at a Caribbean resort or something since down there it actually makes a difference in the quality of the service and/or dropping off freebies like bottles for the room etc. Also makes a bigger difference to the people down there than people here. I tip fairly sporadically though not necessarily every day just when I think about it. Stayed at a resort where tipping was against hotel policy last summer ( they get in shit if they even accept tips ) which led to a pretty refreshing experience.

Overall tipping is a PIA in any situation...

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Never and I'm a frequent traveler for work all over Canada and the US. I do tip at restaurants and cabs though.

Same as D'z Nutz, I'm very low maintenance, keep bathroom clean. Only use one or two towels and other than toilet paper, I bring my own bathroom stuff and I never use room service. I'll only get them to clean if I'm there for more than a week, otherwise I leave the "do not bother me" sign up for my stay. This also makes it convenient so I can leave my stuff open so I don't have to pack everything up in my suitcase every morning before I leave.
    Last edited by botox; 07-11-2017 at 11:44 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Ehhhh, not really. I'm pretty tidy and low maintenance and prefer that my room doesn't get made up every day so the only time the housekeeper even comes into the room is before I check in and after I checkout. If I need towels or toiletries, I'll just go grab some from the housekeeper but only when I'm out. If at the end of my stay I have some change or loose bills, I might leave a couple bucks but if not, I won't sweat it.

^^ Agreed, I travel for work quite a bit and never tip the hotel. If I'm in Mexico for a week at an all inclusive then I'll tip on the last day.

My Ride
    This and that.

I always wonder about this. I don't tip at local Canadian or US hotels, but I do at Caribbean or other all inclusive places. I leave a couple dollars every day and larger sum the last day. Service obviously gets better and the fact that it actually helps the people in those countries is also the reason. Don't see that reasoning with hotels in Canada and US.

Never tipped a traditional hotel. I've also never received more than the bare minimum expected service at a hotel, which are supposed to have exceptional customer service by default.

I dated a hotel manager before, she told me it costs the hotels $15/day or less to turn over a room.

If I ever left a room extra dirty or anything, I would definitely tip the maids, but that hasn't happened yet - I leave the rooms pretty well how I got it save for towels and the bedding that gets stripped anyway.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Only tip maids in vegas or in all-inclusive type resorts. Never in Canada or the rest of the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

At a typical hotel in Canada and US, no. I typically only spend a couple nights and don't require any service.

When I went on vacation with my ex's family to their timeshare resort in mexico - yes, but it was instructed to tip on the last day. You would actually get in trouble if you left valuables or any amount of cash out. Since you tipped on the last day, you wouldn't receive any difference in service but they were extremely friendly and did a fantastic job - definitely earned the tip.

So maybe:
    Hotel for a couple nights - no?
    Resort where you spend a decent amount of time and receive actual services - yes?

What about bed and breakfasts? I haven't stayed in one for a long time, but when I was young I did with my parents. Never noticed if they tipped or not. I would assume you would since there was typically service involved - at least for the breakfast?
    Last edited by NoPulp; 07-11-2017 at 11:47 AM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I normally tip a couple of bucks a day if I require service. Its not much but I feel in my head it may prevent the cleaners from messing with my stuff.

My Ride
    rally pig

We never tip at hotels in Canada, US or Europe either.
    In 3rd world countries though where even a dollar makes a difference, why not. But I only do it if I remember it or have change with me.

My Ride
    NC1

A couple bucks USD equivalent in the local currency is what i normally do.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I've tried tipping here and there and it never makes a difference other than me having less money. I'd rather give my spare money to an actual charity than an able bodied person who is already earning money.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I too travel a ton for work, and sometimes leave a couple beers in the mini fridge left over that I don't want to bother carrying back with me.
    I'd consider that an honorable tip

I tip the baggage guy if I'm in the States.

Also tip the airport car shuttle guy in the US.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I tip the baggage guy if I'm in the States.

Also tip the airport car shuttle guy in the US.
    I find this attitude so backwards. You tip the guy who carried your 10lb bag for all of 5 metres, and the guy who drives around in a cushy air conditioned bus all day, but don't tip the lady who is on her knees scrubbing the toilet that you obliterated after stuffing your face with tacos?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    I find this attitude so backwards. You tip the guy who carried your 10lb bag for all of 5 metres, and the guy who drives around in a cushy air conditioned bus all day, but don't tip the lady who is on her knees scrubbing the toilet that you obliterated after stuffing your face with tacos?
    I tip daily even I don't make a mess.

Not every place take tips. And there are a few hotels I stayed at have the "green" option of skipping room service up to 3-4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    I tip when I'm with the family, as the luggage ends up being four pieces of luggage, a bunch of bags and car seats.

At that point they even expect the tip down in the US.

My Ride
    G37X

In Mexico? For sure I tip the cleaning lady at the end of the stay. In Canada? Not a chance. I'm a very low maintenance guest. I leave the room in good shape, all that's required is normal cleaning. I
    don't move around the furnishings, or leave pizza/beer boxes everywhere.

I think there should be a new poll option, because most people tip at all inclusive but most people do not tip at traditional hotels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast