Quantcast
Bike lanes and right turning cars - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bike lanes and right turning cars

My Ride
    '14 Taco

This one drives me nuts

https://goo.gl/maps/KWaZYTFaS6o

Too many idiots try to create a third turning lane and take over the bike lane on this one. I've had a couple close calls as well as have to smack the odd car window to pass the message along..how I wish for a separation

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a driver and a cyclist commuter I am blown away by the number of cyclists that assume the car will give way, often never ensuring the drivers head is moving to check mirrors and/or look for cyclists.
    No kidding.

This is part of my way home if I'm not taking the longer, less direct route and it's amazing how many people just go zooming downhill at full speed just because there's a bike lane.

https://goo.gl/maps/M8osZ5w2DVz

It's one of those bike lanes that's sandwiched between parked cars and the street, so not only do you have to worry about the people who who are cutting into the bike lane to turn into the intersections, but you also have to worry about people opening their doors when they get out their cars. When I'm going down this road:

1) I do not trust drivers to check their side mirrors for me prior to turning into the intersections,
    2) I do not trust people parking their cars to check their side mirrors before swinging their doors open,
    3) I do not trust drivers to use their signals, which would give me time to back off cause of #1

Because of this, I'm more likely to ride downhill in the driving lane. If I'm holding you up, go fuck yourself. There's a school zone coming up anyways.

I've actually gotten into an accident there because someone cut me off in the school zone to turn into the intersection that leads to the school. They came up from behind me, passed me, and cut into the bike lane to make the turn giving me about a two feet breaking distances between my front tire and their rear bumper. I went riding into the back of their car and they drove off. Whether or not this person knew or was oblivious I can't say, but I would bet it was some mom going to pick up her child from school.

I almost got into another accident at the same intersection on that stormy day with the 90km/h winds. Some Asian woman was trying to cross the two lanes but couldn't see out her window so she just kept going even though there was cars coming in both directions. If I was gunning down that road like most cyclists do, I would have been on the hood of her car cause she didn't even notice me until I was pretty much at the intersection waiting for her to go.

Yea I find 12th really bad for turning left, especially near the covered portion of the bike path you can hardly see the cyclists in the shadow of the covering. Especially the hippies in their earth tones that blend right in.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Turning right from an outside lane by yielding to cars on the inside lane is illegal because it's dangerous, but that's exactly what bike lanes are setup for, which makes it mind bottling.
    BTW, outside lane is the curb lane and inside lane is the the lane farthest from the curb in the same direction. In a 4-lane roadway with two lanes in each direction, the two lanes closest to the centreline are the inside lanes and the two lanes farthest from the centreline are the outside lanes. I wasn't sure which one you mean. Bikes in the outside lane (bike lane) do not have to yield to cars on the inside lane if the bike is already there at the intersection.
    Last edited by cloud7; 07-12-2017 at 09:20 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The correct phrase is mind bottling. Will Ferrell is always right.
    Name:  thankyou.gif
Views: 131
Size:  2.00 MB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    BTW, outside lane is the curb lane and inside lane is the the lane farthest from the curb in the same direction. In a 4-lane roadway with two lanes in each direction, the two lanes closest to the centreline are the inside lanes and the two lanes farthest from the centreline are the outside lanes. I wasn't sure which one you mean. Bikes in the outside lane (bike lane) do not have to yield to cars on the inside lane if the bike is already there at the intersection.
    Learn something new everyday. This is so fucking confusing because:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtaking

Note: In British English the meanings of inside and outside lanes are the reverse of US English. So in Britain, overtaking is performed using the outside lane; in the US it is termed the inside lane. In both cases, it is a passing lane farther from the shoulder of the roadway.
    Regardless, bikes in bike lanes do not have to yield period. The car on the "inside lane" always has to yield to the bike on the "outside lane".
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    You can say all you want but to me outside lane is that of towards the yellow line and the inside towards the curb/ditch. If you are on a two lane highway and you need to pass someone do you say "pass on the inside" or "pass on the outside"? I always say pass them on the outside.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    You can say all you want but to me outside lane is that of towards the yellow line and the inside towards the curb/ditch. If you are on a two lane highway and you need to pass someone do you say "pass on the inside" or "pass on the outside"? I always say pass them on the outside.
    Your opinion on this matter must be 1:10000 people... Start a poll?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2