Quantcast
Required information after car accident - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Required information after car accident

My Ride
    CBR 929

Default Required information after car accident

Does anyone know specifically what information you must provide *by law* to the other party in a traffic accident?

I was hit today by someone and they were not forthcoming about providing their information.

They only provided a first name, insurance policy number, and I managed to get their drivers licence number after I questioned if they even had one. They did not want to show me anything and only read off the numbers to me, so I don't actually know if the policy was valid or what name it was under etc.

She claimed it was because she has had problems with people knowing her last name and address etc and that she wasn't required to provide it.

Was just curious for next time.

[url]

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, they need to give you their license and insurance, I usually snap a picture of both. If they refuse, call the cops! Since you need a report and damage sticker over a certain threshold anyways

My Ride
    fiat abarth

lol. same thing happen to me yesterday. got hit. spent 30 mins trying to get information, finally called the cops to obtain the information.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by bignerd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone know specifically what information you must provide *by law* to the other party in a traffic accident?

I was hit today by someone and they were not forthcoming about providing their information.

They only provided a first name, insurance policy number, and I managed to get their drivers licence number after I questioned if they even had one. They did not want to show me anything and only read off the numbers to me, so I don't actually know if the policy was valid or what name it was under etc.

She claimed it was because she has had problems with people knowing her last name and address etc and that she wasn't required to provide it.

Was just curious for next time.
    Man, I can't believe you let her go just on her word. I hope for your sake she wasn't bullshitting you.

My Ride
    V8s

Good lord, no way would I have let that woman get away. I would have told her either I get a picture of her insurance and DL, or I'm going to phone the cops right here and now to report a hit and run if she goes anywhere.

GL OP

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Full disclosure of all information on driver's licence, insurance and registration.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Full disclosure of all information on driver's licence, insurance and registration.
    Are they required to physically show you their documents so you can inspect them? Can they just read you the info? If they just list you off everything how do you verify it or do you just hope for the best?
    Last edited by bignerd; 07-11-2017 at 04:20 PM.

[url]

My Ride
    CBR 929

Damage was not major which was the ONLY reason I didn't pursue it any further. She was absolutely not going to give me her full name or address or DOB under any circumstances. If there had been anything serious I would of called the police. Maybe I should still go in and see what they say anyhow since she was such a sketch bag about everything.
    Last edited by bignerd; 07-11-2017 at 10:50 PM.

[url]

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by bignerd View Post
    Are they required to physically show you their documents so you can inspect them? Can they just read you the info? If they just list you off everything how do you verify it or do you just hope for the best?
    Yes.

If they don't hand those 3 pieces over, call the cops.

With Cell phone, it's much easier to grab all 3 and take a picture and sort it out later for minor stuff.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

And I would take a picture of the back of the car including the plate too. Unless the plate is switched, you pretty much have the vehicle identified. If the other person refuses to exchange info at that point, I would proceed as if it was a hit and run.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I had a friend who was scammed on the side of the road. Guy hit him, and gave a license, insurance, etc, but it was a stolen car, fake ID, and the guy disappeared without a trace. From then on, I decided I'd snap a picture of any driver who hits me so I at least had something to show the cops.

I was hit a couple years back, pretty minor damage, but the first thing I did was take a picture of the driver, and his license plate. That was before I even asked him for his info. Luckily he was a good kid and very cooperative, and I decided not to pursue it any further.

Once you get a pic of the back of the car (usually with model, color, & license plate), it makes the option to call the cops with a hit & run a lot more valid because the person knows they can't just disappear. But they should always give you the info - if they act like they've got something to hide, it's probably because they do.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Exactly. With a camera in everyone's pocket these days, first thing you do is take a photo of the scene, license plate, and driver. Though it can be tough to remember if you're shaken up by the accident.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Yes.

If they don't hand those 3 pieces over, call the cops.

With Cell phone, it's much easier to grab all 3 and take a picture and sort it out later for minor stuff.
    I don't think there is a law that requires them to surrender physical documents, just provide the information.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    fiat abarth

well you can't trust their word on the information. so its best if you have the physical copies.

i have been screwed over twice on this shit, so always physical papers or i call the cops.

sidenote, when the cops showed up, they said it was required by law to produce insurance, registration and licence. i dont know what the legal difference is between produce and surrender.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

First thing i do after an accident (thankfully they've been rare) is grab a picture of the plate of their vehicle. I also take pictures of their documents and the vehicles BEFORE they are moved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bcylau View Post
    well you can't trust their word on the information. so its best if you have the physical copies.

i have been screwed over twice on this shit, so always physical papers or i call the cops.

sidenote, when the cops showed up, they said it was required by law to produce insurance, registration and licence. i dont know what the legal difference is between produce and surrender.
    I would imagine surrendering your documents would be giving them up without getting them back right away.

My Ride
    Bang Bus

Take a picture and write down the VIN number located on the bottom left of the windshield if all else fails.

My Ride
    fairlady tt

I usually do the following:

1. Check if the other party is ok
    2. Snap pics of the scene & damage both close and from afar from multiple angles before anything is moved
    3. Move out of the road if possible
    5. Exchange info - Drivers license, insurance, registration. Take photos of each, also photo the plate and VIN
    6. Continue on with your day

This whole process shouldn't take more then 15 min tops if there are no injuries or major damage.