Quantcast
2017/2018 Ski and Snowboard Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/2018 Ski and Snowboard Thread

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Anyone been to Sunshine recently? I was thinking of going there this coming weekend and wanted to know where the best snow is.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

My cousin and sister's boyfriend went there today. They said it was good. I suspect next weekend will be even better with all the snowfall we're going to be getting.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

I was at sunshine today, trying out a set of Buton Step On bindings, the snow felt really good today, there was a light dusting of powder over a thick ice crust which made for very fast carving, make sure to have some sharp edges and a fresh wax
    Job, and you’ll be golden. Sunshine is making snow in some of the lower portions of the mountain, which is ok I guess...
    lots of the higher elevation runs have poor snow coverage, we need a week of 24/7 dumping to get it decent up there.

Going back to the Step-on bindings, I picked up a set from my local shop, someone ordered them in but didn’t buy them, I saw them and instantly picked them up.
    They are a size smaller than what I normally wear, but my toes had space and the boot felt decent in the store.
    Once I got up to sunshine and had the photon boots on, I instantly regretted the small size, as the ball of my foot was being squeezed by the boots front anchor points.
    I literally felt like throwing up from the pain it caused after the first run.
    Not wanting to waste the drive out there I tried to make the most of my situation, and removed the footbed for a little added room, I could still feel the ball area of the boot constricting, but it was much more manageable.
    Following that, the boots and bindings felt amazing! So much control, and a very responsive feeling on groomers, carving felt so much more effortless, and the board felt much more responsive and pliable.
    Previous to these I had a pair of Burton Cartels, and Ride Tridents for my boot/binding combo, which was a decent setup for my all mountain preferences, but the cartel bindings stiffened up the board far more than I thought (Burton Custom Flying V ) because I would constantly fight chatter on my edges, to which I was attributing to poor technique, but these step on binding/boot combo, cleared that right up. Carves are now very flowy, and boards rocker/camber suspension felt like it was actually taking in the bumps.
    The actual step in motion does take some getting used to, as you need to plant your foot as far back in the binding as possible, along with a left right foot rotating motion to lock in the front anchors. But it only took a few attempts to get it right.
    It’s the same with the step out motion, you need to walk your foot forward after you release the leaver, because lifting straight up keep you anchored in.

My only complaint about the setup is, that after the gas pedal on the binding pack in after a few runs, the anchors will start to make a loud clicking noise when you transition on turns, there is also about a millimeter worth of added clearance which you can feel on the transition, that really doesn’t matter for park riding, but on fast carves that extra movement makes you loose a little edge control.
    I also had an issue with the latch releasing in the rear, this was from snow packing up under the boot, which didn’t allow the latch to fully lock, I had my rear binding open up mid run, which wasn’t the biggest deal because the front anchors stay locked in, but it felt like I had massive heal lift, I initially though the BOA cable let go.

Over all I think it’s a great setup, sadly I have the wrong size boots, and wil need to return them, knowing that I doubt I’ll find my size this season. They feel better than a traditional binding set up, and the convenience of just stepping in and going real makes them attractive, with a little more practice, I don't think stepping in straight off the lift will even be an issue.

I definitely recommend them.
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 12-18-2017 at 02:59 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Good info Rick, thanks! I was under the impression that bit of play had been corrected from pre-productions so it's probably a good thing they didn't have my sizing this year, perhaps a little more tweaking will occur after this first year of production.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride

Yeah I think the issue was cleared up as well with the later production models. I was also on the Burton website, and there is also now a recall for the rear latches opening up, just a minor part replacement fix. I will definitely buy the correct sized set when they become available again.

On a side note, sunshine was closed till noon today, as they had no power to the area... Huge dump of snow coming this week, Ill be there to soak it all in

My Ride
    is broken

Is there anyone doing boxing day sales? Is that a thing for ski gear?

I need a new snowboard since I snapped my Jones haha! Would love another Jones so ill be shopping at Ski cellar or Royal.

I bought a Sunshine card and used the first day free this past week. If I understand correctly, I need to register the card for further discounts. Does this mean I won’t be able to transfer the card? With upcoming out of country travel I might not make it back out so I’m thinking of just selling the card for cheap.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there anyone doing boxing day sales? Is that a thing for ski gear?

I need a new snowboard since I snapped my Jones haha! Would love another Jones so ill be shopping at Ski cellar or Royal.
    Head to Banff, and visit rude boys in the Bear street malls’ lower level, they have last years stuff up 65% off. Decent selection too

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Rick that tiny bit of movement is apparently intentional, might just need to be comfortable with it. Regarding the back letting go, are you sure it was in the fully locked position? Buddy says there are two points of locking and the first one had been letting go - there is a small recall on it and your shop can sort that out now.

Or so I was told when discussing these points this week with my friend.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride

Yeah the clicking wasn’t so bad, it was just audible and you can feel in on the transition, especially for some one like me who has 7/10 stiff rated boot.

And the heal unlatching only happened once, so I didn’t pay much attention to the cause, but I did see the recall in place.
    I returned my set this week, much to my dismay because throwing on my old bindings back on made everything feel less flowy, and even though my boot are now well broken in and the right size, the burtons from the ball of my foot back, felt super comfortable.

I’m on the hunt on eBay and other online stores to see if I can snatch up another set albeit a little more than retail, but still worth it. Next spring I’ll be pre ordering if I don’t find a set this winter season

My Ride
    Z

Had about 7 days at Fernie over the break. Great snow, needs more, was fairly cold
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    LNF

I was at Panorama over New Years and it was amazing. They got 14 cm of snow the night before so lots of fresh powder. The second day it was groomed but the hill was lots of fun and lots of snow.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Baker a couple weeks ago, when that west coast storm hit, was all-time. Revy for NY, mediocre unless you hiked -- South Bowl, and further south was decent.
    Hoping DD opens soon. Already at 20 days.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Anyone at sunshine today, says it’s -12 but banff is -34. Is that even possible.??

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Heading to Big White tomorrow for four dayes, pretty stoked.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Anyone at sunshine today, says it’s -12 but banff is -34. Is that even possible.??
    That's due to the incoming inversion that going to hit later tonight.

I was there yesterday. Got some nice frost bite on my face, but it was still one of the best days so far this year.

Rode revy this weekend for the first time ever. Great snow and perfect temperature.

Had some issues with my new goggles, bought a pair of sandbox goggles at the end of the year last year. Bought them because they were cheap and had transition lenses I wanted to try out. Didn’t work so well in the flat light, they were still going too dark. Also found they fogged up a lot. Probably going to go back to my anon Hawkeyes.

Man I am out of shape though. Body kept giving out and had to take a lot of breaks. Best terrain I’ve ridden in a long time though. Lots of good technical runs and good free stuff

Probably going to look for new boots this week. Anyone have recommendations for flat and wide-ish feet. My DCs are killing my feet.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Big White was pretty epic yesterday, visibility was so so but probably 20cm of fresh in almost every place. Above zero and wet today and still had such a good day of technical skiing.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Rode revy this weekend for the first time ever. Great snow and perfect temperature.

Had some issues with my new goggles, bought a pair of sandbox goggles at the end of the year last year. Bought them because they were cheap and had transition lenses I wanted to try out. Didn’t work so well in the flat light, they were still going too dark. Also found they fogged up a lot. Probably going to go back to my anon Hawkeyes.

Man I am out of shape though. Body kept giving out and had to take a lot of breaks. Best terrain I’ve ridden in a long time though. Lots of good technical runs and good free stuff

Probably going to look for new boots this week. Anyone have recommendations for flat and wide-ish feet. My DCs are killing my feet.
    Revy makes everyone feel weak

For wide feet... ThirtyTwo’s are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Revy makes everyone feel weak

For wide feet... ThirtyTwo’s are awesome

Haha well that’s good I’m not alone. There was one run near the end of the weekend where I stopped 5 times to get my heart rate down.

Yea actually a buddy with similar foot problems on the trip suggested I try 32 as well. I’ll take a look at them

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast