Quantcast
Brake shudder - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Brake shudder

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default Brake shudder

I have an 05 Acura TL with Brembo front brakes. When I hit the brakes @ speeds over 40 km/h, the steering wheel and brake pedal start shaking. I changed out the front pads and rotorsand the problem still persists. What else can cause this?

My Ride
    is broken

Just off the top of my head its most likely a seized caliper slide pin. Did you verify the calipers move nice and smooth? Had more than a few seized pins from Subarus

Next thing would be the disc is not flat against the hub makes sure both surfaces are good and clean. Also REALLY check the discs are perfect. no hairline cracks.

Next you could try re-bedding the pads. Here is a list of recommended procedures. but i find the HAWK one to be best.
    After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just off the top of my head its most likely a seized caliper slide pin. Did you verify the calipers move nice and smooth? Had more than a few seized pins from Subarus

Next thing would be the disc is not flat against the hub makes sure both surfaces are good and clean. Also REALLY check the discs are perfect. no hairline cracks.

Next you could try re-bedding the pads. Here is a list of recommended procedures. but i find the HAWK one to be best.
    The calipers move nice and smooth, I will check the rotors for cracks etc later. Can anything else cause the shudder? worn ball joints or tie rods? Rear brakes?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    Hmm... My 2008 Impreza has brake shudder at 60km/h. I wonder if this is the cause.

I believe a bad wheel bearing can cause that kind of feedback. Check for play.

And just to verify you did pads and rotors at the same time right. Not ran a new rotor with the old pads for a bit or vice versa?

Yeah I had something similar in my RX, it was wheel bearing for me. Good call j-hop.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    I believe a bad wheel bearing can cause that kind of feedback. Check for play.

And just to verify you did pads and rotors at the same time right. Not ran a new rotor with the old pads for a bit or vice versa?
    I did pads & rotors at the same time. Don't wheel bearings usually make a weird howling noise?

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    I did pads & rotors at the same time. Don't wheel bearings usually make a weird howling noise?
    They may or may not. You're right, they typically make noise but not necessarily. I would check them to be sure.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

They will almost always make noise if faulty, but sometimes you need to coax the noise out by making noticeable sweeps from left to right in order to load up the weight. That's the only way I could properly hear the faulty bearing in my Jeep - but it was pretty obvious once I did that.

With all of this said, I'm more inclined to think there is still something wrong with the rotors. I know you said they were turned, but this has "rotor issues" all over it....

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They will almost always make noise if faulty, but sometimes you need to coax the noise out by making noticeable sweeps from left to right in order to load up the weight. That's the only way I could properly hear the faulty bearing in my Jeep - but it was pretty obvious once I did that.

With all of this said, I'm more inclined to think there is still something wrong with the rotors. I know you said they were turned, but this has "rotor issues" all over it....

I think rotors are new not turned.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

G-ZUS - check to make sure that all the lug nuts are torqued properly.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

BREMBO rotors are garbage 3/4 of the time they warp after 5000 km overheat very easily.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg