Quantcast
Review: 2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Edition - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Review: 2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Edition

My Ride
    Exploded.

Default Review: 2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Edition

With a new trim line in the 2017 lineup, The Porsche Cayenne in the 3.6L VR6 configuration gives you great fuel economy with decent pep, but struggles on acceleration to their boisterous weight. The Platinum Edition gives you goodies for a relatively great price, offering value to your weekend getaway to the ice cream shoppe. For something this big, it’s best to check the V8 options to feel the real potential of this Stuttgart monster.

--

So as you all may or may not know, my summer commute is a 1995 Rover Mini and it’s currently at the shop. Bored, I had an opportunity to take a 2017 Porsche Cayenne for the weekend. I went for the gusto and picked it up at the new Porsche Calgary dealership up in Deerfoot Meadows.

What I got was a delectable Jet Black Metallic 2017 Porsche Cayenne looking mighty intimidating in upgraded 21-inch wheels. Sporting 265 Michelin Latitude Sport rubber bands, it was definitely ready for the open highway.

Name:  DSC_0062.JPG
Views: 578
Size:  348.9 KB

As the monster SUV in the Porsche lineup, next to the baby-cute Macan, it had massive ground clearance and a very robust presence. It's not the prettiest product out of Porsche, but way better looking than the first-generation Cayenne. The selection of tyres will definitely not be suitable for off-road trails, but it’s good enough for range roads that are abundant in Alberta. For this special occasion, I took the family out to a random ice cream session from Calgary to Cochrane, where they have a popular ice cream shoppe called Mackay’s. It’s pretty good; check them out.

Name:  DSC_0056.JPG
Views: 569
Size:  342.8 KB

The Cayenne was mated with the 3.6 VR6, producing 300hp and 300lb/ft of torque. Fuel economy was great as I was getting 12L/100kms in the city, exploring Calgary’s downtown streets during the Stampede. On the highway, it’s a great cruiser but the engine selection shows limitations when you conquer uphill sections of a highway: the power becomes lackluster at 3-4000rpm then you feel the weight of the car take precedence. I think the V8 configuration would be a better fit for power and usability, while the VR6 is great for fuel economy. The 8-speed transmission embraces that fuel economy with 6-7-8th gears meant for highway usage. 3rd gear is the party gear.

Name:  DSC_0067.JPG
Views: 568
Size:  576.0 KB

Steering felt great because this trimline had speed-sensitive steering. Which means that it gives you more angles when you’re in slow speed for parking and not really sure what it does when you’re speeding, but it’s easy to speed in this. The steering wheel felt great (as all Porsche wheels do), and was thick for those twisties. The Cayenne handles twists with ease even with the high clearance, and I think it’s because it’s so wide. When you drive something like a Land Rover LR3, or the old Volvo XC90, you really feel the height. Brownie points for the Cayenne on that one.

Name:  DSC_0068.JPG
Views: 559
Size:  416.1 KB

Inside, the Cayenne was well-appointed with goodies; this was the Platinum Edition, remember. I love the new center-stacked console; reminds you of an airplane cockpit. It’s the subtle touches that makes a difference and Porsche loves it. The rotating compass with elevation? Sexy. Multimedia screen in the instrument cluster? Gorgeous. Although everyone is doing those nowadays.

Name:  DSC_0087.JPG
Views: 562
Size:  438.7 KB

(cont.)
    Last edited by flipstah; 07-13-2017 at 03:20 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

The smorgasbord of buttons is very intimidating. It took me a while to figure out where things where, and my parents (the demographic that can most likely afford this type of vehicle) were shocked with the buttons,

Name:  DSC_0070.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  444.1 KB

“What’s wrong with knobs and sliders?” Might as well use a flip phone, dad.

This package was tricked out to the max; 14-way adjustable front seats, with 3-seat memory, electric sliding visors on the rear passengers were awesome and the reclining rear seats ensure comfort is achieved when going on road trips. The interior was decked out with plastic pseudo-aluminum trim, which was nice and piano black trim that showed fingerprints easily. I hate that.

We liked the giant ‘holy shit’ handles on the sides for the off-road excursions to the mall or when you’re on the way to the dry cleaners. If you have money to blow and you’re a serious off-roader, you probably wouldn’t buy a Cayenne. Although this has a central locking diff, which I wasn’t able to test out. Oh, what could have been.

Name:  DSC_0091.JPG
Views: 558
Size:  399.6 KB

The roof is replaced by a giant panoramic moon roof and it gave the cabin an airy feel. Around the seats, storage was everywhere so you can definitely misplace your Montblanc pen in this thing.

What we didn’t like was the auto start-stop function. Why would you want this in a sport racing-centric SUV? It’s stupid and glad it can be disabled on both normal and automatically off in Sport mode. On stop lights, it just shuts off and normally, I think something broke if that happens. Then you just release the brake pedal and it starts itself. Does it really affect fuel economy that much? I guess it does to make it a feature.

Name:  DSC_0074.JPG
Views: 562
Size:  452.6 KB

The cooling seats through the plush and soft perforated seats made the drive to the dairy dessert factory comfortable because it was blistering hot outside. 30c in dry air is tolerable though with air conditioning, that’s either centralized or individualized. Everyone has climate control, but not a lot of vehicles have independent blower speed for driver and passenger. Pretty slick.

One cool party trick that came with the Platinum Edition was something they call “Porsche ParkAssist”, which was easy to understand and use. What happens is that the Cayenne is littered with tiny cameras to give you a 360 degree view that’s both visual and acoustic. You definitely want this package to park this beast around town. Tight spaces are easy if you have complete faith in this feature. It took me one tight space to be convinced. I successfully navigated through a passage that I wouldn’t confidently squeeze through if I didn’t have this.

Name:  DSC_0072.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  412.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0083.JPG
Views: 564
Size:  402.6 KB

(cont.)
    Last edited by flipstah; 07-13-2017 at 03:25 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Name:  DSC_0121.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  394.5 KB

The navigation system was great because it has native Apple CarPlay, and the native map graphics were easy to read and beautifully laid out. The voice recognition is modern, with address recognition doable by stating only one continuous phrase. Old navigation systems of yore forces you to speak in chunks: number, street, province, city, etc.

It has that VW sensor trick where if you hover near the 7.0-inch navigation screen, extra buttons show up and disappear when you lift off. It’s a waste of design that could’ve been spent on other things. Like improving this handwriting recognition for SMS. It’s per letter and absolutely useless, especially when you’re driving. I was struggling when I was waiting inside while someone was lined up for ice cream in the heat.

Name:  DSC_0089.JPG
Views: 550
Size:  430.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0128.JPG
Size:  359.8 KB

Like I was going to line up for ice cream. I guffaw at that notion. I drive a Porsche.

Name:  DSC_0116.JPG
Size:  379.8 KB

My Pistachio Almond ice cream tasted great, as I enjoyed the ride with great comfort. It absorbs bumps like nothing and I’d be curious how the Cayenne will handle trails for camping.

I was sad to see it go, but with price starting at $66,000 and the test vehicle priced out to almost $90,000 I don’t know if I could overlook a Range Rover for a Cayenne. That V6 isn’t enough to give you the ‘oomph’ to enjoy proper Porsche acceleration.

Name:  IMG_20170709_190525_491.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  93.8 KB

Side-note: What changes in starter technology had to happen in order to do stop/start without burning out the starter motor?
    Last edited by flipstah; 07-13-2017 at 03:27 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Just general photos,

Name:  DSC_0053.JPG
Views: 552
Size:  389.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0089.JPG
Views: 545
Size:  430.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0082.JPG
Views: 551
Size:  381.8 KB

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

why you go waste peoples time on cars you cant afford and will never buy?!

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why you gotta hate like that bro lol

Sounds like they treat flipstah better than they did me in my 5 years of servicing with them.

BTW, nice ride for sure.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    why you gotta hate like that bro lol

Sounds like they treat flipstah better than they did me in my 5 years of servicing with them.

BTW, nice ride for sure.
    It was a test drive, not a loaner for servicing. Maybe that's why the better service.

Your 911 Turbo. My Panamera Turbo. Average service at best.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Well written review. I too, was most impressed with the fuel efficiency. I put on about 150 km during my test drive and the fuel indicator barely moved.

My Ride
    ute

nice. I like these. Not big enough for a family with 3 little kids, though, which sucks.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    It was an open offer, so I took it.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Start / Stop technology will be mandatory by the Canadian government in the coming years unless you can bring the fuel mileage drastically into the spec of what they want.

The starter is a beefed up version which can take the abuse from stopping and starting.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Thanks for this thread. I learned that the VR6 has the highest specific torque/L of any naturally aspirated V6 I've heard of. But the VR is a V block with one head right?

Trivia is what engine has the highest torque/l with six cylinders?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Kouki DC5 and Sprinter Trueno

Most of the newer start/stop don't even use a starter! They have one on the vehicle but it's use is very limited. Too lazy to explain in depth but I am sure google will do a good job at that

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I learned that the VR6 has the highest specific torque/L of any naturally aspirated V6 I've heard of. But the VR is a V block with one head right?

Ford GT?

Maybe i am out of touch, but 12L/100km doesnt seem like anything to write home about. My old 4.4L V8 X5 averaged 12.8L/100km around town and has two additional cylinders and 10 year old technology.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    S54B32 in the 2003 M3 CSL. 270 lbft

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    S54B32 in the 2003 M3 CSL. 270 lbft
    Close. The 2014 gt3 3.8 (324ft lbs).

Over 85/L. The CSL is 84.375.

The FORD GT is turbo. I meant NA.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I never understood why people care about HP/L or TQ/L. Completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. It's like caring about which supermodels eat the most to keep their figure. Who the fuck cares, she's hot.

My GLA apparently has the highest HP/L, don't think I've ever mentioned it as a positive once.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think HP/Kg of engine is a better metric these days.

Because if you have a bunch of weight and space in turbos making up for displacement the metrics just get thrown completely out the window.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

hp/kg of engine is still an irrelevant figure. power/vehicle weight is what really matters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast