Quantcast
overnight driving trip into Montana... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: overnight driving trip into Montana...

My Ride
    ute

Default overnight driving trip into Montana...

Any good suggestions on driving roads? I read the recent thread on driving into BC, but the 40km/hr and your car is impounded thing is a bit worrisome. How about Montana? I heard there are good roads near Yaak and Browning.

My Ride
    NC1

Laser jammer + radar detector yet?

never made the actual drive but from previous threads Montana is one of the most speed friendly places hehe

Montana is great for driving. If you like the higher speed limits, Idaho and Utah have 80mph speed limits. The scenery is fantastic in all three states.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Laser jammer + radar detector yet?

never made the actual drive but from previous threads Montana is one of the most speed friendly places hehe
    not yet. I'm thinking about it, though. My buddy's Scuderia is all setup, so I'll let him go first...haha

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I heard there are good roads near Yaak and Browning.
    I don't know about Yaak, but I remember the roads around Browning a couple years ago. The highway by browning was under construction, thankfully I had my truck because it was literally off road conditions. It was muddy and awesome!
    The roads near browning close to the mountains were winding and fun, but narrow! I remember it being a bit uncomfortable to do anything above the speed limit in my truck.

I'm doing a trip to yellowstone at the end of the month could keep an eye out for any fun roads.
    I've always heard of Montana police targeting alberta drivers, but I find I don't need to speed much there because of the increased speed limits.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Thats a hell of a detour to get into BC.

Back when I had my bike (no LIDAR jammer or RADAR detector) it was very simple - keep it slow (about the speed limit) on the straights and anywhere approaching or leaving a town. Once the road turned into a 2 lane snake, that’s when you could really open up - esp. heading up hill. Passing was done anywhere you had room and time. Passing lane markers are designed for cars and dont take into account the insane acceleration/deceleration of the average crotch rocket.
    Last edited by revelations; 07-17-2017 at 08:50 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

When you get to BC, this is a Gem. https://goo.gl/maps/YFegU1dficu it's a bit out of the way.

Cross the ferry from Faquier and then wait 30 minutes for traffic to clear. You should have open road to at least the end point (Cafe) and maybe further. Looks like there might be some construction. Did it on my Bike years ago. We previewed it once to make sure there was no gravel and then went for it getting out knees on the ground. Many of the corners are tight (from what I remember) so you are going impound speeds, but you can have a tonne of fun.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by NoPulp View Post
    I don't know about Yaak, but I remember the roads around Browning a couple years ago. The highway by browning was under construction, thankfully I had my truck because it was literally off road conditions. It was muddy and awesome!
    The roads near browning close to the mountains were winding and fun, but narrow! I remember it being a bit uncomfortable to do anything above the speed limit in my truck.
    Agree. Roads are windy and fun with elevation changes, but also pretty narrow if there's oncoming traffic. I basically started using my GPS as a HUD map like a video game.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Keep an eye out for wildlife, some places in Montana are brutal for that and don't have much of a ditch to see them coming.

Last time we drove through Montana, we passed a Lidar trap at around 85-90 MPH (did not see them until it was too late) and they didn't care. I think you have to be doing something pretty crazy to get a ticket there unless we just got lucky.

My Ride
    ute

I'm more worried about impounding, points, etc than I am about a ticket.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Like Mitsu says, you'll have to do something ridiculous to get impounded in Montana such as a top speed run. This is a state where you can get your beer to go at bars so you can drink it on the drive home even though it was finally outlawed 10 years ago. Nobody gives a fuck about speeding there.

The problem with Montana roads though is that they're mostly straight and boring and only good for top speed runs, which is pretty boring. There are some good backroads with a mix of mid and high speed corners, but there's zero cell reception, and nobody within miles so if anything happens (accident, flat tire, break down, out of fuel) you're SOL. If you want to take the risk, I've driven some sections of road absolutely flat out and it's the most exhilarating driving experience you can find. Look for highways that pass through reservations, guaranteed zero cops.

Staying closer to home, highway 1A (also through a reservation) has always been a favorite of mine for lower speed corners.

My most memorable drives through Montana has always been the stretch from Belle Fourche, SD to Crow Agency, MT. Nothing like blasting through the state of Wyoming in 10 mins haha. I've done this leg 4 times and it's been amazing every time. 1/2 top speed, 1/2 mid-high speed corners with lots of elevation changes, just checks every box. The only big issue is you have to drive easy for stretches to conserve fuel because it's easily 200km between stations that have premium, if they even have it at the time. You burn through a shit ton of fuel at top speeds.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Well, there would be two of us, so that would mitigate some of the safety issues. Unless we crashed into each other...lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Well, there would be two of us, so that would mitigate some of the safety issues. Unless we crashed into each other...lol
    Fair enough. I did update my post, but if you want to prepare, google map your route, search for gas stations, call them up and mark them down if they have premium. You'd be surprised at how hard it is to find 91 octane in Montana outside of city centers.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

ha...that sounds like fun. literally no one around there i guess.

It might be a bit far for a weekend jaunt, though.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Last year I ran up on a rcmp suv on the 3a in BC on the bike... well over 40km/h over the limit... he just flashed his lights to show me I probably shouldn't pass... then I pulled out at the next rest stop and turned around

I rarely see speed traps in the interior, and especially not on any of the single lane twisty stuff

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

This is one of my favorite drives when I feel like taking off early from Penticton and going for a day rip into Washington. Got my car torn apart both directions by both Border Services US and Can the first time I did it, but aside from that a great drive! I really love the Tonasket to Republic run, banked corners and great road conditions, lots of grip! The rest is more scenic than anything but I love the small towns, full of lots of neat shit and weird folks haha, and great places to stop for food, like being on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. Take a Radar Detector at the Very least but NEVER saw a cop actually doing speed patrol through there. Gets hot too so watch your coolant temp.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/49.03...d49.032304!3e0
    Travel

My Ride
    V8s

edit: nm got the wrong road.

If you aren't on the interstate, I've been on a few awesome driving roads in MT. I had a wicked drive on some relatively tight, consistent twisties on the way to Whitefish a few years back, for the life of me I can't remember what highway it was though.
    Last edited by bjstare; 07-18-2017 at 08:34 AM.