Quantcast
Q50S vs IS350 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Q50S vs IS350

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Default Q50S vs IS350

What's everyone's opinion on these two vehicles? I've been looking at the 2014/2015 models and test drove them both. I like both of them as far as handling and power goes. Q50S interior feels more ergonomic/roomy and I love the dual screen. DAS doesn't bother me so it's a non issue. There's also a hybrid model at Infiniti Gallery right now but haven't test driven it yet. Went on a whim to test drive the Lexus as I've heard good things about their reliability.

Overall, which one of these vehicles do you guys think will 1. hold their value better and 2. cost less in long term maintenance and potential repairs? I plan on driving this car at least 5 years or even longer. Trying to keep the purchase in the low to mid 30's as well.

I've never owned either brand. Any other things I should be thinking about?

Any insights appreciated.

My Ride
    G37X

Lexus>Infiniti both in terms of resale and likely for maintenance and repair cost. The 7AT in the Q50 is an old feeling transmission, lags behind most newer vehicles. Certainly not a bad DD, but if those are your main concerns I'd be looking IS.

I once tried to compare the q50 to a c350/IS350/335i, and it didn't compare.

I actually liked the interior a fair bit in the q50, and the engine sounds good and gives good power, and its way cheaper........... but it feels and looks a cheaper car. I also didn't like how bloated and gigantic it looked and felt. I also felt it was easily confused for every other drab boring 4 door car out there, such as a maxima, or camry. It's the same problem that keeps me away from acura. Acuras are great on paper, and they're super reliable, and they have decent interiors...... however....... they are not refined. I remember driving a GLK, then an evoke, and then a RDX. You could tell the RDX had 3 dollars in the R&D budget for suspension and handling... and I feel infiniti is in a similar category to acura.

...but my mom ended up buying the RDX because of reliability, and acura was willing to give it away, so depending on what you're looking for, the infiniti might be the smarter choice.

Also, maybe i'm alone but I actually dont like the IS350 interior. I like it better than the new C class interiors, but I hate those so that's not really saying much (too many surfaces that will scratch easily and when worn out will make it look like crap, plus I dislike first gen ipads glued to my dash for an info displace). I know a lot of people think the 3 series interior feels cheap too, but I think I actually like it better than even audi, which is really knows how to make an interior look and feel great.

My Ride
    V8s

The Infiniti will drop like a rock in value, look at the used infinitis from the last few years for proof. Not to mention Lexus reliability >>>> Infiniti.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I was shopping between the Q50-S, IS350 AWD and Audi S4 (used) 4 years ago, when the Q50-S just came out. I ended up getting the Q50-S because:

1) Much cheaper. 60% residual on a 36 months lease @ 1.9% so the monthly payment was ~$200 lower than the IS350 even though the car was $5K more expensive (I checked every single option and then some..)

2) Way more tech. Love the dual touch screen and all the toys like 360 Degree Camera, Collision braking and backup collison detection, laser-guided cruise control, auto lane departure system, full time LED headlights, memory keyless entry, etc...

3) Cheaper to maintain than the Audi and with more warranty (vs a used S4)

4) More space - The IS350 felt very tight both in the front and back. The back seats are almost too small to fit 2 full size adult. But the Q50S has a relatively small trunk opening.

With that said.. I sold the Q50S just 2 years later. got the MK7 Golf R and have't looked back. The Golf-R is SOOOO much more fun to drive and I don't miss the tech (except for the sensors and sunroof). Zero regret. I don't even remember what the Q50S key looked like.

I shopped this class a couple of months ago.

I absolutely loved the Q50. It was the most fun out of the cars that made my short list (Q50 3.0, WRX, TLX SH-AWD, Golf R). I also loved the Bose stereo system.

I test drove the IS350 and thought it was an extremely overrated PoS. The drive was mediocre, the 15 speaker Mark Levinson system lacks proper tuning capabilities and their entertainment system controls made me want to punch something. I even went back and drove it again because everyone else seemed to love the 350 and again it was just so plain.

I think the prices were within $20 a month on a 20k 36mo lease between the Lexus and the Q50 in May.

But...you asked which car will likely be more valuable in a few years and which one is going to cost you less in maintenance and the answer is almost certainly the Lexus.

I ended up settling for a TLX. It wasn't my first choice (the Q50 was, then the Golf R), but it ended up being over $200/month less than the Infiniti and over $100 less than the Golf R.
    Last edited by oilerfan4lyfe; 07-20-2017 at 09:22 AM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Thanks for the replies guys.

The reliablity and value retention for the Lexus is really appealing, but for some reason the Q50S just draws me in.

Given the consensus here for value and reliability between the two brands, I'm hoping that even if I go with a Q50S it won't be a significant difference.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Nice! I'm also in the market to pick up a Q50S as well. Red Sport is out of my range so I'm gonna settle for just the Silver Sport. Never gave the TLX a thought and the new 18 MY just came out with the A-Spec version. Looks nice but not much tech compared to the Q and that digital shifter is weird
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice! I'm also in the market to pick up a Q50S as well. Red Sport is out of my range so I'm gonna settle for just the Silver Sport. Never gave the TLX a thought and the new 18 MY just came out with the A-Spec version. Looks nice but not much tech compared to the Q and that digital shifter is weird
    The push button shifter is actually one of the best parts of the TLX. Its not a bad car, and definitely worth a look if you are in that segment. Its quite a bit cheaper than the IS and the Q as well.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I thought that for '18 they went back to a regular shifter? I'm basing this purely on a look through a front window at an '18 A-Spec that was in the Silverhill showroom so I might be wrong.

Regardless I think if you can afford the Q50, you'll probably be happier with it. I got a great deal on my TLX as I got it 2 weeks before the '18s came in so they seemed desperate to get rid of it. Otherwise the Q50 is probably better in just about every aspect. I kind of regret getting the TLX now that I've had it for a couple of months but oh well.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I looked at the TLX as well but the styling just isn't my jam. The interior looks great in photos and seems to be similar to the Q50 though.

I can't afford the Q50 3.0TT right now so maybe I should just drive a civic for a couple years until they come down in price

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I looked at the TLX as well but the styling just isn't my jam. The interior looks great in photos and seems to be similar to the Q50 though.

I can't afford the Q50 3.0TT right now so maybe I should just drive a civic for a couple years until they come down in price
    The 18 models should be arriving in Sept so maybe they'll clear out the 17s. Hoping to get a great deal. 15K off kind of eal
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.