Quantcast
Where to stay in California? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to stay in California?

Default Where to stay in California?

Hey guys, where would you guys recommend to stay in California that is close to all the touristy places like, Hollywood, Disneyland, Lego land etc? I am leaving in 2 days and dont even know where to stay yet.. Please help

Also what places do you guys recommend to check out down there? I was thinking of driving down Skid row to check it out.. is that a bad idea? lol

Cecil hotel is located in skid row. Nice and convenient. I hear the water there is delicious too.

My Ride
    rally pig

Legoland is 100KM south of Disneyland.
    If you want to hit both resorts, then maybe stay around Anaheim, that way you can drive up to Hollywood (about 40min from Anahaeim) in the afternoon/night.

Touristy places, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, The Grove, North Rodeo Drive.
    I like Hermosa Beach and Huntington Beach as well.
    Last edited by taemo; 07-18-2017 at 11:31 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, you aren't going to be "close" to all those, so choose one area you want to be able to walk around and then just deal with the drive for the rest.
    I did riverside as a base once and liked the town, but it's not close to anything. These days I don't even go near LA, just do San Diego AirBNB's.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by BensonTT View Post
    Hey guys, where would you guys recommend to stay in California that is close to all the touristy places like, Hollywood, Disneyland, Lego land etc? I am leaving in 2 days and dont even know where to stay yet.. Please help
    That's like asking where to stay that's close to Banff, Calgary, and Drumheller haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Exploded.

Disneyland is in Anaheim and Hollywood... Is not.

EDIT: I DUNN GUUFF
    Last edited by flipstah; 07-18-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    That's like asking where to stay that's close to Banff, Calgary, and Drumheller haha.
    Sorry Rage haha.. So best place is to stay is in Anaheim I guess? Thanks for the input guys..

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Sorry Rage haha.. So best place is to stay is in Anaheim I guess? Thanks for the input guys..
    Depends on how much stuff you want to do in all 3 cities. I brought kids with me and did the easy method. Stayed on Disneyland resort to do Disneyland (the early entry was worth it for getting on high demand rides quickly), took a tour bus for a day trip to lego land, and spent a day in LA before flying out.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Depends on how much stuff you want to do in all 3 cities. I brought kids with me and did the easy method. Stayed on Disneyland resort to do Disneyland (the early entry was worth it for getting on high demand rides quickly), took a tour bus for a day trip to lego land, and spent a day in LA before flying out.
    Am gonna be down there at least for 10 days. Here is the plan so far.

1. Disneyland, Legoland,Universal Studio, Hollywood, Chinatown, Long beach then I will be driving out to Las Vegas for a few days then maybe the Hoover Dam etc.. Thats the plan so far.. lol

My Ride
    Exploded.

1. Disneyland, Legoland,Universal Studio, Hollywood, Chinatown, Long beach then I will be driving out to Las Vegas for a few days then maybe the Hoover Dam etc.. Thats the plan so far.. lol
    Holy shit that's all over haha!

That is one plan with very little time - 10 days is not enough. Be realistic. In the LA area (and it is an area,) driving out to buy toothpaste is a half hour ordeal. The biggest disappointment one will feel when going to LA is to try and do it all. Here are my notes:
    - You will drive a lot. There's traffic jams even on Sunday mid day which make a Deerfoot trek seem like a cake walk
    - Stay close to where you want to visit. If you are truly doing all of those things, you'd best move every two days to those cities and then visit them (I still think it's way too much that you are trying to do)
    - Consider making multiple trips to LA and Vegas and take time to enjoy the sights and activities: this can't be your one and only
    - Don't make your trip about going there, checking in on Facebook for the sake of it and then carrying on to the next stop
    - LA is expensive. Parking is expensive. Some hotel parking are about no in and out privileges: if you stay in a central spot, Uber it around
    - Long Beach is a city, are you referring to going to the beach or the city?

LA Area can be overwhelming: its vast, not everything you see on TV is true about it is accurate. I actually have come to hate it. Hollywood is far from beach. Downtown LA is far from beach. Heck, beaches in CA are a destination on their own. And Vegas on top of this?

Dude, reconsider. Your plan involves a lot of time behind the wheels and it's not fun.

As a side note, when someone say's they're from LA, they need to be questioned. Riverside is no LA. Anaheim is no LA. Pasadena is no LA.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Half the time you'll be spending it on the Interstate lol.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Since the request is rather vague... SLS Beverly Hills, close to shopping, nobu, universal, and Santa Monica... what more do you need?

My Ride
    Bicycle

LA traffic is shit.

If we are based in Anaheim, expect 1-2hrs each way to Universal Studio, Hollywood, Chinatown. And DO NOT trust Google Maps, just pick the shortest route and stay with it. It changes the fastest route all the time during traffic jams and all it does is redirect traffic to those routes and jam it.

I would stay in Anaheim for Disney/Legoland/Long Beach and move to another hotel for Universal, Hollywood and Chinatown.

I think Disney+Legoland can easily take up 4-5 days. Check with Disney veterans for the best way to do Disneyland. And there are a lot of crap like princess dinner/lunch that will need to book months ahead of time. *Looks like Fastpass is replaced with Maxpass as of this week.

I would spend more time in CA instead going to Vegas and Hover Dam and relax. Trying to jam all that in 2 weeks, you won't really enjoy it unless all you want to do is check it off your list and say you have been there.

That said, if you do head into Vegas and drop by outlets along the way, look for Chinese tour guides. Last time I bump into and chatted up one and dude gave me extra 10% off VIP sticker. lol. Chinese are buying everything up to the point that there are item limits so they don't clear the stores.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-18-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Since the request is rather vague... SLS Beverly Hills, close to shopping, nobu, universal, and Santa Monica... what more do you need?
    Quite vague indeed. Your suggestion can make for a good 3 night trip. I have found Hollywood and Beverly Hills alone to be far apart from each other. Santa Monica is a 45 minute drive from Hollywood. Shopping in LA is no different than other destinations. Hollywood Walk of Fame area is dingy. No area is walkable. Overrated.

My kind of LA trip is this: rent a car and drive south to OC. The beach cities are the best thing that this area has to offer for us.
    Last edited by ee2k; 07-18-2017 at 04:19 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ee2k View Post
    Quite vague indeed. Your suggestion can make for a good 3 night trip. I have found Hollywood and Beverly Hills alone to be far apart from each other. Santa Monica is a 45 minute drive from Hollywood. Shopping in LA is no different than other destinations. Hollywood Walk of Fame area is dingy. No area is walkable. Overrated.

My kind of LA trip is this: rent a car and drive south to OC. The beach cities are the best thing that this area has to offer for us.
    Yeah, Hollywood is actually a shit hole. Less of shit hole last time I was there a couple years back but still a shit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Half the time you'll be spending it on the Interstate lol.
    LOL. Yep!
    As it is, in LA your time is spent in traffic.
    I perfer beach towns then take a day trip in for Disney and then another one in for Sunset Blvd area, comedy show, shopping, Griffith Observ. etc.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    ... Chinese are buying everything up to the point that there are item limits so they don't clear the stores.
    People seem to think individual Mainlanders are buying all this stuff for themselves when the fact is that they are buying to flip back in China. They pay premium for stuff that comes from outside China. I know a few people who make $60k a year consistently just buying things here and selling it in China.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ee2k View Post

15min on a bike during rush hour to Santa Monica

But the SLS isn't too far from Hollywood, think it was like a $15 Uber black to whatever lounge we ended up at last time

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Are you going with kids? There isnt a ton at Legoland for the older crowd..
    I went in April and all the rides were good enough for my 4 year old if that tells you anything. If you are going with kids they will love it.. especially if you stay at Legoland hotel. Its pricey, but located right on the grounds, gets you in an hour early and has a bunch of shows/activities througout the night. Food was decent too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast