Quantcast
Puppy Classes 2017 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Puppy Classes 2017

My Ride
    E46 M3

Question Puppy Classes 2017

I read some of the old threads, but was hoping for more recent reviews for puppy training classes in particular. Looking to get a 9-10 week old german shepherd pup jumpstarted with training. There are quite a few options for classes in Calgary with a lot of different styles of teaching.

I'm just wondering where you took your puppy for training and how you liked it? Some places I've been researching:

• Calgary Humane Society - $225 - 6 classes, drop in, puppy specific
    • Cultured Canines - $675 - 40 hours + drop in classes, outdoor sessions, not puppy specific
    • Clever Canines - $475 - 10 classes, 15.5 hours
    • Dog Squad - $475 - 4 hour private session, notes + videos
    • Happy Tails - $185, 5 classes, drop in
    • Dogma - $235, class length unknown. They also offer free puppy socialization sessions.
    • Sit Happens - $445 - number of classes depends on age/drop in

My Ride
    '14 Taco

We did humane society as that's where we got our dog as a puppy and it was good, but if you're doing a lot of work at home (which you should be) you'll be far ahead of the class. Personally I'd be hard pressed to pay more then that as if you want to bond more with your dog you should be the one training it,not just at lessons.

The dogma socialization is good, kinda lame that they want you to pay for their little speel that feels like a timeshare pitch now, but the puppy wrestling sessions are definitely good.

I'll be the first to praise clicker training. It's pretty well magic what you can achieve with it, as well as amazing to watch the dog figure stuff out in their heads and how fast that turns into results. It's the only way I'd train a dog moving forward
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 07-18-2017 at 05:08 PM.

My Ride
    E46 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We did humane society as that's where we got our dog as a puppy and it was good, but if you're doing a lot of work at home (which you should be) you'll be far ahead of the class. Personally I'd be hard pressed to pay more then that as if you want to bond more with your dog you should be the one training it,not just at lessons.

The dogma socialization is good, kinda lame that they want you to pay for their little speel that feels like a timeshare pitch now, but the puppy wrestling sessions are definitely good.

I'll be the first to praise clicker training. It's pretty well magic what you can achieve with it, as well as amazing to watch the dog figure stuff out in their heads and how fast that turns into results. It's the only way I'd train a dog moving forward
    That's good to hear We'll be grabbing a clicker soon. We've been doing training in the house since he came home a week ago. Just wanted to explore lessons too so we lay a good foundation while he's young.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thought thread title said "puppet classes". I am disappoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by The BMW Guy View Post
    That's good to hear We'll be grabbing a clicker soon. We've been doing training in the house since he came home a week ago. Just wanted to explore lessons too so we lay a good foundation while he's young.
    Dogma trades out the clicker for saying 'yes' before giving a treat. We used both. Having it as a 'yes' makes it a bit easier as you don't need your clicker on hand for the first year

Went to Clever Canines for my first dog - enjoyed the puppy classes but really one can learn everything yourself.
    - They probably will recommend pup start which is the most worth it IMO for those that don't want to research themselves.

My second dog - I trained her myself until she was a year old and then registered in for K9 classes but I cancelled those. I made she was well socialized with other dogs, children, people etc pretty much when i got her a 12 weeks.

Clicker training, I'm in different about. It's just another association. *Click - Treat

Saying Yes - Treat is the same thing.
    Last edited by GQBalla; 07-19-2017 at 08:11 AM.

My Ride
    vw gti

We adopted a puppy recently from AARC's and through them, they provided free puppy socialization classes at Dogma. I can shed some light on the socialization part, not the actual obedience classes. Puppy just needs first 2 shots.

They were an hr long and as Brent stated, they replace the clicker with the word "yes". We went every week and it was pretty repetitive (which is good to be consistent with your puppy I guess). Since it's open to anyone, they talked a lot at the start for the new people. That's were it get's repetitive once you start going every week. The puppies started getting restless because all they wanted to do was play. Personally, I wish they would let them play first for a bit before talking. Anyways, it wasn't just playing, you do lots of training with them with puppy playtime in between. There's lot of time to ask questions too. It was pretty much the same basic training like getting them to sit, familiarizing/rewarding them with the word yes, name recognition etc. One time they played a bunch of dogs barking from the speaker, and slowly increased the volume. Every time they heard a bark and didn't bark back, you would reward them. Another good one was they take a bunch of random things (strollers, pallets, etc) and introduce it to the puppies. You also pass your puppy to different owners that are there so they get familiar with strangers. I thought overall their puppy socialization classes helped a ton.

We took our puppy to the Cochrane Humane Society dog training classes. I think it was around 200 bucks for 6 weeks every Saturday, 8 dogs max. All you need is the first 2 shots. Similar to Dogma socialization layout, but more training than playtime obviously. They gave us handouts on the courses and "homework" for you and your puppy. They had 2 trainers there. They also were introduced to "agility equipment," and go through a few small obstacle courses. We thought it was set up fairly well. Trainers were all nice and the facility was pretty open/clean. The Dogma socialization also helped us a lot prior. The toughest is being consistent and patient. Both places really vouch for positive reinforcement and never a negative experience/training with your puppy. Cochrane also has free (if you're part of the class, $7 if you're not) drop in Sunday 3pm-3:45pm where it's just straight playing. They also divide the dogs by their sizes. Just need first 2 shots and have to be 10wks - 5 months.

You need to check out Cindy Peakcock... She is amazing!

Cindy Peacock KPA CTP, CPDT-KA