Quantcast
Tim Hortons writing on lids - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tim Hortons writing on lids

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

What I hate about it is that rather than getting orders right, they just follow the process.

The amount of times I get shit with nothing in it, or cream instead of milk, or just in general the wrong order is staggering. Probably 10% of orders are wrong.

So its great that there is a process to follow, but I doubt it works as intended. Its like traffic signs seems like a good idea, causes way more stupidity than it solves.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't believe that for a second. When those Filipino women ask me for donations and I tell them "No", they still keep hounding me. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one that's told them that hahaha
    That's different! They want something from you lmao.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    no kidding lol. i'm willing to bet that they have instructions from corporate to write on ALL cups. It's also easier this way... imagine if they had a bunch of different rules to follow depending on scenario like "if only 1 cup OR all the same OR different types but unique different sizes, then don't write"... just too much to think about when they are just trying to work as fast as they can
    I don't understand why this is necessary to have a job procedure for writing on lids. It's like the bubbles on a McDonalds lid to differentiate between coke and sprite. This makes sense when you need to differentiate between contents of cups, so use it when it needs to be used. Doesn't seem necessary to just do it just because a boss told me to do it.

IE. in every workspace this could hold true. If you had to "sincerely" instead of "regards" or "respectfully" or "cheers" or whateveron every e-mail because it was "policy, would you say this is a stupid menial policy? Or just do it without understanding why or the reason for this policy.
    Doing what the boss tells you even when it makes zero sense... makes zero sense to do, and seems pretty robotic of an employee. I encourage all my staff to think for themselves and to still get the job done. We are successful at that, and if one of my employee figuratively wants to write on every lid for the sake of his or her own ways of doing things.... so be it i guess.

My Ride
    95B

First world problems
    Why don't you simply ask them the reason for writing on the lid?

Franchise 101. Why does this thread even exist? lol

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    It's a process. They follow it. Why is it a problem? lol
    Yup, just easier to write on all instead of pick and choose and eventually it turns into a habit that's been formed. Sometimes people go to the can after they order or they take a call and didn't hear that it was ready, then a pile of people rush in and now your order is all mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Probably because the language barrier. If they're not used to hearing it, it throws them off.
    Doubt it, their minds are programmed for the normal orders and your custom order just throws their universe out of sync.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by syscal View Post
    Franchise 101. Why does this thread even exist? lol
    We are living in the social media world. You find something what you do post in on the Social media platform and makes a spectacle out of it

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    I don't understand why this is necessary to have a job procedure for writing on lids. It's like the bubbles on a McDonalds lid to differentiate between coke and sprite. This makes sense when you need to differentiate between contents of cups, so use it when it needs to be used. Doesn't seem necessary to just do it just because a boss told me to do it.

IE. in every workspace this could hold true. If you had to "sincerely" instead of "regards" or "respectfully" or "cheers" or whateveron every e-mail because it was "policy, would you say this is a stupid menial policy? Or just do it without understanding why or the reason for this policy.
    Doing what the boss tells you even when it makes zero sense... makes zero sense to do, and seems pretty robotic of an employee. I encourage all my staff to think for themselves and to still get the job done. We are successful at that, and if one of my employee figuratively wants to write on every lid for the sake of his or her own ways of doing things.... so be it i guess.
    great that you tell your office staff to think for themselves, but that just doesn't work for low level fast food jobs.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    I don't understand why this is necessary to have a job procedure for writing on lids...Doing what the boss tells you even when it makes zero sense... makes zero sense to do, and seems pretty robotic of an employee. I encourage all my staff to think for themselves and to still get the job done.
    Do you employ entry level employees? There are some awesome ones, but a good many people on this planet need to be told every single step and just cannot be told to "use your discretion" and those people often hold entry-level jobs. Hell, most Tier 1 helpdesk folks I've met damn near need a work instruction to go to the bathroom, and god help their pants if you omitted the step to unzip. If they have capability for independent thought and decision making, they make Tier 2 really quickly, and these are so-called IT "professionals" with "education", not entry level fast food employees.

It's much easier to just lay down a procedure, and if it gets unnecessarily followed a few times a day, it's a lesser evil than just saying "use your judgement" and have people pissed off about mixing up their coffees if their judgement fails or something unanticipated happens.
    Last edited by carson blocks; 07-20-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added to the post

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    We are living in the social media world. You find something what you do post in on the Social media platform and makes a spectacle out of it
    My brain hurt trying to read the above highlighted part.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Makes more sense if you read it in either old Indian dude or old Chinese lady voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I don't give a shit about the writing on the lid but when is Tim Hortons going to change their lids? They leak. If you are carrying them you will get coffee on your hands and sleeve and in your car coffee gets all over your console cup holders. Really it's enough already as its ridiculous.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

They don't just do your order on its own.

When I worked there 12 years ago they had one person doing coffee, one getting food, one taking orders and one doing till. The guy doing the coffee is constantly pumping out coffee and lining them up in order as best as they can.

So you might have just ordered a Regular but someone behind you might have ordered two DD's and the person behind them ordered a Black and TT. If it's busy then in between the time when you order and when you get to the window, there is 10 different coffees sitting there. With the writing on the lid they know that they're grabbing the right coffee even if the line up got messed up. On top of that, the customer can catch it too and say something before driving away.

It's a good system.

Why they do it when it's not busy? Habit and even if it's not busy, you get a couple big coffee orders and no writing on lids and you have a problem.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 07-21-2017 at 02:12 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Is this where I post that McDonald's has better coffee, better cups, better service and better lids?
    7-11 does! haha

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

7-11 is really inconsistent. When it's good it's good, but I've had a cup half full of grounds before, which is a bit. Inconvenient when you figure that out fifteen minutes and a chewy mouthful later.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

I really despise tims. Having said that, when I have no choice but to get coffee there, I always make sure and ask for the dome lid. It's the same as the starbucks one, but brown.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post

Why they do it when it's not busy? Habit and even if it's not busy, you get a couple big coffee orders and no writing on lids and you have a problem.
    This is a good point, actually.
    At face value just seems odd, staring at the person giving you the coffee writing on your lid, saying that you got a "regular" when you ordered that and its obvious hah.

I'm surprised McDonalds hasn't had a major impact on Tim's yet though.
    Every roll up the rim to win week they offer free coffees, and try and one up Tim's in their own categories... it may be just a matter of time

A little off topic, but how is it establishments such as Tims can have their donuts, etc, fully exposed for flies to crawl all over?

This has got to be some sort of food safety violation that the health officials are fully aware of. So, what's up with that?

In before, stand outside of Tims with a sign that say's, "Tim Horton's serves fly donuts"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think the theory is that instead of enclosing the food items in a room full of flies, some steps are taken to reduce the number of insects in the building. Although I m not a health inspector.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I'd be shocked if they are against code... As i'm sure a health inspector or two have been to Tim Horton's on work or on personal time in their careers and have witnessed their food storage practices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2