Quantcast
Best 24"+ monitor for gaming and photo editing? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best 24"+ monitor for gaming and photo editing?

I've been waiting for the new UQ ROG for a year now since they announced it. Still not out. It combines all the best attributes of being IPS, 144hz capable, Gsync, but also 4k. Not going to be cheap, I'm guessing at least $1400 CDN.

I have 3 other ROG monitors, and have had 4 at one time, and a couple of the Acer gaming monitors like I said. Mitsu gave a good description of the +/- of various types. IPS IMO is the best all round way to go, it may not be the very best for photo editing, but it's far better than a TN/VA panel for that, and for gaming, while not quite as fast in terms of MS response, unless you are in the very top 1% of CS/FPS players and are a real $ making Pro, you'll never notice the difference. That's from someone who played CS in the CPL long long ago, and I have both the ROG TN panel and the IPS in 27".

If you move up a bit in $, get the 34" ROG or Acer 34" 100hz IPS panel, I have the ROG, but have seen the Acer frequently, and they are in fact the screen in the unit anyway. You can find them for 1600$ on sale frequently, or even less for the Acer, I've seen it for 1300$ on sale often. So if you're going for a single unit, get one of those, as they are IPS and great for both gaming and photo editing. If you're going to be a die hard photo/work user, then proceed that way, but honestly that monitor will not be great for gaming, not compared to even a regular 1080p 144hz you can buy for $300 for a 24" Asus, let alone a 27" 144 or 165hz IPS model. Also, the 35" ROG monitor is 200hz yes, but not IPS, while the 34" IPS version is 100hz. I tried both on the shop before getting the 34", it's far superior IMO, the eye can quickly tell 60hz from 100hz, but anything over 100hz isn't as noticeable a difference, if that makes sense. IE 144 to 165 is impossible to tell with the Pepsi challenge, and while 100 to 200 you can tell a bit, it's nothing compared to the 60 to 100 jump. IPS on the larger sized screen makes a huge difference in vibrancy, color, everything.

The future 4k 144hz 27" are really going to need serious power. I'm running 6850 Broadwell E CPUs with 1080 SLI, a 1080ti box and a Titan Pascal. Running 1440p at max, or 4k on my 28" right now, with a lot of graphics intensive games, is pushing it already. Volta will hopefully allow 4k at over 100fps in most stuff, I hope. I use VR for so many of the games I play right now, DCS and other flight sims, everything but ARMA3 and a couple FPS, that GPU power is critical to maintain that 90fps.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 08-04-2017 at 01:16 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IPS IMO is the best all round way to go, it may not be the very best for photo editing
    What would be?
    Ultracrepidarian

Msommers, I'm not really into photo or vid editing, so I'm far from expert on that, but the Dell Ultrasharps and various others are recommended here and explained pretty well -

http://www.color-management-guide.co...otography.html

Also, the new 4k 27" 144hz capable Gsync monitors from Asus and Acer (these 2 companies gaming lines share the same manufacturer for many of their screens and components), have been delayed until Q1 2018 at the earliest, which means it'll be 2 years since they were announced till their release (Asus released info back in 2016 on the ROG monitor of this type, the UQ model), as I've been waiting a LONG time for them already. It may not be a bad thing though, as faster GPUs will be out from AMD and nVidia by then, and it's going to take some kind of monster/SLI/etc to maintain 144fps at 4k on a 27" panel. Still, really looking forward to these 2 units, and IMO they'll possibly be the last gaming monitors I ever buy, what with higher res VR coming out and becoming so prevalent in the type of gaming I mostly do.

http://www.pcgamer.com/asus-and-acer...dr-until-2018/

^^ IPS is definitely the best for photo editing, color accuracy, and off-center viewing angles don't change the look of the display which is also critical. Their disadvantages are that cheap IPS panels usually don't have as good panel uniformity or black levels, but both are solved with higher end IPS panels. Every single high end graphics/photo monitor from the major brands like NEC or EIZO is an IPS panel.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

^^ Exactly. They have hardware controlled calibration as well like our NEC monitors. I game on mine but not to the competitive level Gman man is - more sniper games and FPS for fun.

If you want the best editing monitor, it won't be the best for gaming. There is a sliding scale but NEC is the endpoint for that purpose. Where else would they have dorky light shade attachments for your monitor!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_for_NEC.html
    Ultracrepidarian

Sory for the hijack. Are there any such things as a 24 inch square monitor? Or 27? I dont want the widescreen.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Sory for the hijack. Are there any such things as a 24 inch square monitor? Or 27? I dont want the widescreen.
    Pretty sure nobody makes large size 4:3 monitors and if they do they're charging a pretty penny

If you run 2 monitors that are 1920x1080, but you run them vertical, that's approximately 5:4 ratio.
    Name:  K000982-portrait_lg.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  23.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Pretty sure nobody makes large size 4:3 monitors and if they do they're charging a pretty penny

If you run 2 monitors that are 1920x1080, but you run them vertical, that's approximately 5:4 ratio.
    Name:  K000982-portrait_lg.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  23.3 KB
    I bought at Eizo 26.5". Its 1920x1920! Tjey2 make monitors for medical, cad, industrial. The picture is amazing. This is for an retro pie cade I am puttong together for my uncle. So almost wasted quality. But the size is perfect.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's pretty cool, I figured no one even made square monitors anymore!
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    That's pretty cool, I figured no one even made square monitors anymore!
    I was surprised too. I got it surplus from a solar pant. Looks like old styke is still popular with industry machines, medical and stuff. I got it for $325 , they are $1200 new. I have a 26" 1080p and this dwarfs it. Very happy.

The Dell displays tend to be very colour accurate and clear.

To help choose a good monitor https://thedigitalcamera.net/best-mo...d-photography/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2