Quantcast
Best 24"+ monitor for gaming and photo editing? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best 24"+ monitor for gaming and photo editing?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Best 24"+ monitor for gaming and photo editing?

Wussap fellow beyond-geeks!

I'm looking to replace my current BenQ 27" screens (GW2750) with something that is suitable for some gaming, but particularly for photo processing.

Ideally something that at least hits these specs:

• 144hz
    • 2560x1440 or greater

I'm looking to buy at least two, but ideally 3. Max budget of $1,900 (taxes in)

Thanks homieslices!

EDIT: if it matters, I'm running a GTX1080.

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-Predator-...=amazon0064-20

2 of these will be under budget. I doubt your single GTX1080 can drive 3 of these tho.

Any of the Acer Pred or ASUS ROG Swift line, perhaps the AOCs as well. All of them will do 1440p, some will do 4k. Most of the models are Gsync as well, important for gaming. Acer are a bit cheaper than the Asus, quality about the same as well, YMMV there though, Asus has a larger following and better rep online if you follow all the gaming mags and forums, but the Preds I've used are excellent so far. Currently running 27" 1440p 165hz ROG Swifts x 2 and a 34" 100hz Asus as well. Waiting for the 144hz 4k 27" to come out this year.

These AOCs would do as well, but I've never run one. One is a TN panel, the other is IPS. I had the first ROG Swift that came out, 144hz 1440p 27" and it wasn't IPS, the 165hz models we have now are, and I much prefer the IPS for most types of gaming. Pro CS players are about the only ones I've found that prefer the TN/whatever panels, but even some of them run IPS. Anyway, the AOC are cheaper than the Acer and Asus for a 165hz IPS 1440p Gsync 27" model.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX66455

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX66456

If you don't mind 24" instead of 27", and don't mind TN over IPS, these Acer 24" 165hz are a really good value for $570 IMO, including Gsync. If you have to buy 3, it'll keep you well under budget.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX64424

So far as 4k goes, I've been running 4k prior to the 1080 coming out, the first gaming 4k was Acer's 28" Gsync I've had nearly 2 years now. If you aren't running SLi, or a 1080ti or Titan Pascal, even a single 1080 will chug a bit with some games at 4k these days. But it'll work pretty well still, I'd go into a shop and see a 1080 running some of the games on 4k and see what you think, and what your expectations are FPS wise.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 07-23-2017 at 11:34 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

My vote is for predator. I have the 27" IPS and it is awesome. Pretty $$$ though. It does overclock to 165hz.

Some Preds oc to 165, but some don't, same as the ROG line, just be sure to really check the specs as there are nearly a dozen Pred models out now. IMO the difference between 144 and 165 isn't detectable really. I can tell 60 from 100 and 144 instantly, if I accidentally messing around have forgotten to switch my monitor back into 144hz/165/etc mode. But anything over 100 with Gsync is a vast improvement over 60.

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dell-...r-440-2111601/

$440 for 24" Gync 1440p. Seems like a smoking deal if you want to 3 panel set up.

Nice catch Xtrema, I've read those panels are the same ones put in the Preds and ROG Swifts. Pushing this to another PC gamer I know that is looking for a triple screen set up (he can't use VR due to eye problems and prefers 3 screen for flight sims).

My Ride

Thanks all

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

It's outdated now, but a lot of good info on colour accuracy and calibration here: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/363...-photo-editing

My Ride

Struggling a bit to nuderstand the difference between TN and IPS. ELI5?

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Struggling a bit to nuderstand the difference between TN and IPS. ELI5?
    You want IPS if you are going to use it for photo editing at all. Color accuracy and viewing angles are much superior, and they calibrate better. TN is cheaper and better for speed but has very poor color accuracy, poor viewing angles, etc.

Also you want hardware calibration and a built in LUT if you need truly accurate color instead of pretty good (software).

Matte finish is much better for photo editing as well.

You aren't going to find a hardcore gaming monitor that is also really good for photo editing, so since you said primarily photo processing, I would just buy a proper photo editing monitor and then just play games on it. Or buy a cheap gaming monitor and have both if you absolutely need 144hz.

It depends how critical you are too. Your options are basically:

1) Buy a good IPS gaming monitor, and accept average photo/color performance along with just software calibration

2) Buy a proper photo editing monitor like the NEC PA272W, game on it, and give up the 144Hz requirement.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    You want IPS if you are going to use it for photo editing at all. Color accuracy and viewing angles are much superior, and they calibrate better. TN is cheaper and better for speed but has very poor color accuracy, poor viewing angles, etc.

Also you want hardware calibration and a built in LUT if you need truly accurate color instead of pretty good (software).

Matte finish is much better for photo editing as well.

You aren't going to find a hardcore gaming monitor that is also really good for photo editing, so since you said primarily photo processing, I would just buy a proper photo editing monitor and then just play games on it. Or buy a cheap gaming monitor and have both if you absolutely need 144hz.

It depends how critical you are too. Your options are basically:

1) Buy a good IPS gaming monitor, and accept average photo/color performance along with just software calibration

2) Buy a proper photo editing monitor like the NEC PA272W, game on it, and give up the 144Hz requirement.
    Gotcha, thanks!

My Ride

Wound up getting this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Didn't quite tick all the boxes, but the price was right. Happy with it so far.

Seems like an odd choice to me to be honest. It's not a great panel for color accuracy or photo editing, VA panels don't calibrate well, it has a slow-ish response time for games and isn't 144hz for games. If you're happy with it though that's great, it just doesn't seem to match your original requirements especially with an emphasis put on photo editing. Sure looks cool though, that thing is a beast.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Seems like an odd choice to me to be honest. It's not a great panel for color accuracy or photo editing, VA panels don't calibrate well, it has a slow-ish response time for games and isn't 144hz for games. If you're happy with it though that's great, it just doesn't seem to match your original requirements especially with an emphasis put on photo editing. Sure looks cool though, that thing is a beast.
    Yea, I know.

After reviewing my options I decided the price/performance ratio wasn't where it needed to be. The tech needs a bit of time to mature. In the interim, I picked this one up since it does most of what I need pretty well: 100hz, colour calibrated okay, and the 3440x1440 resolution is a leap from the 1080p I've been using for the past few years.

The colour reproduction is much better than the BenQ's I was using, so I'm calling it a win for now. In a couple of years I'm going to reassess.

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

I was also looking at the best gaming monitors for 4k and HDR I'm leaning toward the new ROG

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of...-SWIFT-PG27UQ/

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Phenix View Post
    I was also looking at the best gaming monitors for 4k and HDR I'm leaning toward the new ROG

Whoa, how much is that thing
    I am guessing once Nvidia volta comes out, the X80Ti will be able to handle > 60 fps @ 4k as the 1080 Ti is almost there.

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

The thing is a beast. it will handle all the features of both xbox one x and the ps4 pro. only monitor that has both 4k along with hdr. i think its around 800-1k

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Phenix View Post

Nice! Too bad it's not curved

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Nice! Too bad it's not curved
    https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of...-SWIFT-PG35VQ/

not 4k though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast