Quantcast
Dash cam footage question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dash cam footage question

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Dash cam footage question

No sure if this is the right forum. Mods please move if need be.

Question for Dash cam users. Have any of you chums been cut off aggressively and forwarded the dashcam footage to the Police?
    1. If so what happened?

While we are on dashcams.

Im running the G1WH Dashcam at 1080FHD. It was pretty bright and sunny and at noon. Upon reviewing the footage I noticed I could not get a decent resolution of the plate in front of me. I managed to get the plate as the vehicle passed me. The resolution was not enough when the vehicle was in front.
    Ive not had this problem before, im thinking is this bright sunlight? (sun was behind me just to the right ). Anyone else had a issue with this resolution?

I know it would help if I posted the vid (yeah yeah I know). Im just reviewing my options right now before I do anything as I don't want this to turn into a witch hunt or other legal malarky right now.

2. Is anyone else running this resolution and have had a similar issue of the cam and plate resolution?
    3. Is anyone running a higher resolution dash cam? If so please post the name and cost.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I can't say specifically but I have called in to the police before and was essentially told that I would have to go to court and it would be my word against the other party, seeing how you don't have the license plate in clear picture, I feel the same would hold true in your situation

My Ride
    Trucks

I haven't seen a dashcam that can read a plate more than a 1/4 the distance of good eye sight, so I suggest reading the plate out loudly at the time you have a problem, while it's still visible. I actually run mine at 720p with compression off to keep my camera from getting too hot and destroying the card prematurely. The police can mail a ticket to the registered address but you would likely need to go to court unless the owner simply pays it without contest.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Thanks for the reply Adam.
    The shoot is on a five minute loop. I don't have the clear picture of the plate in front of me after he had forced me off my lane in the second recording loop. But in the first loop, as he passed me on the right I got a clear shot of the plate (I even took a screen shot and zoomed in - I'l print this off at work tomorrow.) and clear footage of him forcing me off my lane.

My Ride
    Bicycle

1080p is pretty useless.

1440p is slowly becoming the norm. Hopefully 4k can come soon if they figure out the heating issue. But the downside would probably be the size and night quality.