Quantcast
New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

Default New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK

The beginning of the end?

New diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned in the UK from 2040 in a bid to tackle air pollution, the government has announced.
    Ministers have also unveiled a £255m fund to help councils tackle emissions, including the potential for charging zones for the dirtiest vehicles.
    But the £3bn clean air strategy does not include a scrappage scheme, calling previous ones "poor value" for money.
    Local government leaders welcomed the funding but called for more detail.

Local authorities will be given direct financial support from the government, with £40m of the fund being made immediately.
    They can use the funds for a range of measures, such as changing road layouts, implementing new technologies or encouraging residents on to public transport.
    If those measures do not cut emissions enough, charging zones could be the next step - but the government says these should only be used for "limited periods".
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40723581

My Ride

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Not entirely. The article highlights funding no real word on actual legislation.
    The big elephant in the room is not so much everyday car consumers. Its the businesses, taxis, trades people, van delivery drivers, lorry's and the entire chain management system of how our society functions. Take Police, Ambulance and Fire services. Supposing you call a emergency service and they cannot attend due to a lack of charge on their vehicles..?
    That's the issue, because those are the businesses, civic institutions that can't just sit and wait for their vehicle to charge. Until the industry provides a solution for that, that is when you will see a massive electric revolution.

Until then its just a electric dream...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 11:44 PM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

That's as empty as the current PM promising to lower taxes in 2040. So much will change in 20+ years as this is nothing other than government lip service and a way to shuffle money through the hands of government employees.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love how people are so quick to forge ahead with electric cars while completely ignoring the problems with current battery technology. Long charging time, limited heavy metal resources, the environmental damage due to extraction and waste product. People that are doing it for "the environment" are delusional.

I've said it before, hydrogen is more promising as a clean way to deliver, store, and use energy. We just need better/safer storage systems, that is it.
    I was banking on HFC's being the leader in energy storage, but it looks like it's just not picking up steam. Costs (both $$ and energy costs) to manufacturer hydrogen is simply too expensive and haven't been improved on. Interesting timing on this though as Toyota just announced their solid state battery EV for 2022 which solves the problems by offering 3x the energy density and 5 min recharge times, but who knows if this will be another long line of failed new battery breakthrough technologies.

Fisker's new car was supposed to be solid state battery too but that got changed to traditional Lithium Ion last minute, so clearly the tech isn't ready yet.

Wonder how our power grid is going to hold up and expand at the rate that we're increasing for electricity consumption.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Wonder how our power grid is going to hold up and expand at the rate that we're increasing for electricity consumption.
    It won't. But more importantly:

http://business.financialpost.com/co...0-3453ded645b3

The case for going electric is completely backwards. It will take a very long time to get there. 2040 is in 23 years. Lots can change by then.

In other news, I have zero interest in electric cars. Even when I was younger and into RC racing, my first true RC was gas/nitro powered. The experience simply isn't the same. I'll cease to be a car guy once electric cars are all that is left.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    AESO had an report (not sure if it's public) that our grid will fail at 20% adoption rate for EVs.

But that report is before ending coal power early. So I don't know if anyone had updated that based on new NDP directions.

Since there is lack of investment in generation due to this NDP stunt, I think we are working up to a crisis especially the government is locking rate at 6.6 cents/kwh.

The issue I can see is there should be a peak draw around supper time that dies down after 8-9pm. If EV becomes the norm, expect that load to continue until people leave for work in the morning.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-26-2017 at 02:19 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    It won't. But more importantly:

http://business.financialpost.com/co...0-3453ded645b3

The case for going electric is completely backwards. It will take a very long time to get there. 2040 is in 23 years. Lots can change by then.

In other news, I have zero interest in electric cars. Even when I was younger and into RC racing, my first true RC was gas/nitro powered. The experience simply isn't the same. I'll cease to be a car guy once electric cars are all that is left.
    I would agree with you back then, but lots of advancement has been made with how cheap brushless motors and high capacity battery packs are. So even though you miss out on the engine sound and whatnot, electric is definitely quicker, and arguably more fun.

Pissing in the wind. It's an outlandish claim. It's just not possible to legislate something like this. The logistics of Europe upgrading their entire electrical infrastructure in less than 20 years is laughable.

The HVDC testing that Siemens is conducting here hasn't had the results they were hoping. Put aside battery tech, the distribution technology for that hasn't even been invented let alone there being capability to start construction, today.

It took 10 years of planning and engineering to build a long distance DC interlink. How long do you think it would take to quintuple existing load demand. And production facilities for it, counting out fossil fuel.

I am a bit of an alarmist, but even this is a little to Zenops for me.

Get rekt.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    I would agree with you back then, but lots of advancement has been made with how cheap brushless motors and high capacity battery packs are. So even though you miss out on the engine sound and whatnot, electric is definitely quicker, and arguably more fun.
    Quick, fast, convenience, whatever has never been the draw to me. I find current Formula 1 painfully boring, and Formula E just plain sucks. A lot (most I'd argue) car enthusiasts are the same way. A visceral experience is what I am after.

Point is, electric vehicles are boring through and through. There is such a thing as too much refinement. People looking for a thrill will go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I love how people are so quick to forge ahead with electric cars while completely ignoring the problems with current battery technology. Long charging time, limited heavy metal resources, the environmental damage due to extraction and waste product. People that are doing it for "the environment" are delusional.
    Read a decent article on that this morning: https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas...t-green-think/

France has regulated something similar by 2040 as well. I prefer to let consumers decide and hate government meddling.