Quantcast
Best hackjobs you've done fixing a car... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best hackjobs you've done fixing a car...

My Ride
    Its Quick

Snapped accelerator cable in my Suburban years ago in front of the Palliser Hotel......jumped out grabbed some staple wire I always carried in my tool box I got from work......hooked it to the throttle body linkage ....fished it thru a hole in the fire wall and hand throttled it home....even had some suits making impressive comments how fast and smart the fix was

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Shit I thought I was doing good with black duct tape and flexi-glue. You guys are masters!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    anytime i pick up a pair of vice grips, you know its going to be a bad time.

Epic thread!

Couldn't get power to my Stereo so I hooked it up to my dash lights which only come on when I turn my parking lights on. Worked great until we went to a drive in movie theater and guys in some other vehicles didn't like my lights being on so we threw some jackets over them. Good times.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Thread is giving me a list of people not to buy from. But those fixes are quite easy to spot..
    Im guessing a lot of these were done on vehicles costing 1000$ or less.

I shoved a cloth into the hole in the floor of my 240 so that the cold air wouldn't keep coming into the cabin, also so that it would stop whistling at high speed. You could see the cloth from sticking out from the outside. On the same car, all the lights (interior and exterior) randomly died on me at night once and the only thing that would work were high beams. $1000 of electrical work later everything is fine and dandy and then the dash lights went out. Rather than spend more money fixing it, I bought one of those LED head straps and strapped it to the steering column for night time driving. I'm pretty sure it illuminated my whole face along with the dash!

edit: the crazy part is that after writing all that, it really makes me miss the car

My Ride
    M3P

97 Jeep Cherokee, headlight switch didn't work so I was unable to switch my headlights on and I was supposed to be leaving for a road trip that night.

Buddy on the forum ghetto rigged a switch from the fuse box with wire from an extension cord that he sliced into. Grateful

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

- Had an old FC where the front fender was pushed in. Got in behind and forced in a plastic jar which kept it permanently pushed out into place. I also hooked up a fuel cut-off system inside the cabin because the rotary liked to flood. Flick the switch, turn it over a few times, flick it back on and start er up. Was also a good security device.
    - The oil gauge wasn't working in my 944, so I threw in a resistor which kept it permanently in a certain position so it at least LOOKED like I had oil.
    - Wanted turn signal covers for my '83 Supra back in the day, so I cut out rectangular pieces of plexi and used window tint. I also made ground effects for the car out of smooth-sided conveyor belt to make the car look slammed. Never got damaged by rubbing on speedbumps, etc, and got lots of compliments. Replaced rotted fiberglass moulding with a painted piece of drywall edging. Used PVC routed to the front air dam directly to the airbox and cut the words "ram air" out of electrical tape and put it on the side fender. It all sounds super ghetto, but looked a whole lotta alright. (Minus that last part maybe)

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    - Wanted turn signal covers for my '83 Supra back in the day, so I cut out rectangular pieces of plexi and used window tint. I also made ground effects for the car out of smooth-sided conveyor belt to make the car look slammed. Never got damaged by rubbing on speedbumps, etc, and got lots of compliments. Replaced rotted fiberglass moulding with a painted piece of drywall edging. Used PVC routed to the front air dam directly to the airbox and cut the words "ram air" out of electrical tape and put it on the side fender. It all sounds super ghetto, but looked a whole lotta alright. (Minus that last part maybe)
    Think this is worthy of pics hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    - Wanted turn signal covers for my '83 Supra back in the day, so I cut out rectangular pieces of plexi and used window tint.
    Haha, I wanted to do colored turn signals waaay back. Only could find red or orange bulbs. Autozeal had these blue bulb condoms which leaked white light so I took to the drawing board and came up with stained glass window paint. Got some and after a couple coats, bulbs were dark enough to work how I wanted. Circa 1999.

Also did the PVC ram air setup. Routed down from the fog light area and up. Looked legit minus the joints.

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

I feel I should update this thread, my hackjob fell apart, the hockey sock tape couldn't withstand the high heat and basically melted away. Headed to CT to get a new O-ring

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Swapping door speakers and tweeters into my buddies $700 wagon today. We mounted the tweeters with liberal amounts of duct tape.

That'll rattle like crazy and not sound good. Get at least some screws in there.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post

Is that an F40 on the lift?

My Ride
    changes daily :D

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    hnnngggg yes it is.....I want one so bad....but I couldn't afford one when they were cheaper than they are now, and with how retarded the prices are going I don't think I will ever own one.....

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Totally butch but got the job done.
    Last edited by ianmcc; 08-21-2017 at 07:14 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    hnnngggg yes it is.....I want one so bad....but I couldn't afford one when they were cheaper than they are now, and with how retarded the prices are going I don't think I will ever own one.....
    It doesn't look like an F40 to me...

Edit: Nvm, I was looking at the bottom one (DOH). Carry on.
    Last edited by klumsy_tumbler; 08-21-2017 at 11:36 AM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

That's at Coachworks right? Was just there.

Here's the only remaining pic I have of my Supra I spoke of. Unfortunately, only shows the sides which were not nearly as impressive as the front. It does, however, show off the very slick bands of electrical tape covering the taillights. Ug.

Name:  1909604_10016200023_3043_n.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  22.3 KB

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Stupid heat shield on my exhaust started coming loose and the rattling was driving me bonkers over the last month. $4.60 worth of hose clamps fixed that right up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Stupid heat shield on my exhaust started coming loose and the rattling was driving me bonkers over the last month. $4.60 worth of hose clamps fixed that right up.
    I had that happen on an 06 Pathfinder, I just put a metal cutter on my angle grinder and sawed it off lol...just didn't park it on tall grass and the carpet never set on fire or anything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2