Quantcast
If you could start a new career - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could start a new career

My Ride
    X5

Wonderful Canadian thread. Both guys throw insults, both guys apologize. Love it

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    May I ask what you do and what your hours of work are? I ask because I put in more than full time hours over the course of a year just in less days from working 12 or 16 hour days. Some fire departments work 24 hour shifts and then get a week off. Those bums. I'm sorry you feel that way. Heaven forbid you have any days off in between cutting dead kids out of cars or console a rape victim left for dead. Definitely not bragging and you're always free to apply if you'd do it for less. . Work on your reading comprehension as it is a prerequisite.
    I work in the energy sector and on a good day I work only 10 hours. 4 weeks vacation a year regardless of how much I work. No overtime pay. This is the way it is for the large majority of professionals. I don't put my life on the line, I don't deal with tradegy (unless you count executives making stupid decisions they were told not to and losing shareholders tens of millions) but I work my ass off, make my company a shit ton of money and get compensated very well for it. Lazy people that think their regulated sick days count as vacation in my line of business would be immediately terminated as well as those not willing to put in overtime for free.

As stated above, government employees compensation should wide open for discussion and critisism since they are employed by the people. I personally feel that police officers should be salaried with mandatory "volunteer" hours each month to help with security and such where they get paid overtime. Our government needs a fundamental shift on the way it views employees and compensation as it is crippling our province. Very few private sector jobs only require only a 40 hour work week and there is no way in hell they would bank you 100+ days of vacation for working 12 hour shifts. Also the belief that you are ENTITLED to sick days shows the core problem with government employees. The fact you publicly brag how you can use family leave and sick days for extra vacation is extremely unprofessional and shows how bad things have become.

I don't discount all of what police do but I have honestly never met an officer, other then a GU officer that I coached hockey with, that actually care about making society better. They treat it the way you are coming off online - a gravy train with a ton of vacation and great pay. I understand there are difficult parts to the job - devastating things at times - but a lot of officers are never even exposed to these things. Calgary is a relatively safe city with very low crime, especially violent crime. This isn't the states where these guys are putting their lives on the line trying to arrest gangbangers and hardened murderers who will shoot on site. I'm not trying to discount everything in the profession as I know there is a lot of very tough things that happen but they are few and far between - it's not like you have 12 hours of tragedies and then go home shaking at how terrible the world is.

Back on the thread topic - I left Canada in early 2017 because 1) I was fed up with the way the government was destroying our way of life and 2) I was stagnating in my job and the executive group made some decisions we advised against and they turned out poorly which made me write off the job. I've been extremely happy since the move and have made some major moves before. Everyone is different and value different things in life (for example some government employees want 160 sick days a year and I want to work my ass off and achieve/build something great and don't mind overtime). Some of my close friends would not be able to move cities and start a new life because of their personalities. It's not an easy thing to do but it is extremely rewarding if you can do it. If you have a desire to do so I would 100% recommend moving to a different country and trying something new whether it was in your current profession or even if it was to teach English for a year. What's the worst that can happen? You gain some perspective, see a new way of life and go back to Calgary if you don't like it? If I looked back at 60 years old and realized I worked and lived in Calgary my entire life with my once a year vacation I like be very disappointed in myself. The world is a big place and I can tell you 94% of the world has no idea what or where Calgary is.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I think you sorely misread my post and for that I'm sorry. No where did I brag and I certainly didn't brag about abusing my sick leave. I took 2 days off sick last year that's it. And for good reason. As someone who doesn't work in my line of work I can't explain to you what the cumulative effect of being in a state of hypervigilence is like and I certainly don't have 100s of days of vacation and sick leave banked. I get 3 weeks a year vacation and roughly 8 sick days..I don't count them as extra vacation they are for your physical and mental health. We have family days for family because working in nothin but human misery takes its toll and when your spouse or child is sick because of the 24 hour job requirements sometimes you need to be home for them too I think you are not understanding that work in compressed work weeks you get more days off. It takes me 166 days to work 2100 hours a year where as working 9-5 Monday to Friday takes a hundred more days of work to reach the same hours. Think of it with it being 4 on 4 off with the odd week having 5 or 6 days off and some weeks having 3 days off because of days being longer than 12 hours. Also I am salaried but overtime is paid hourly and it's not always given. If you get called in on a day off yes it's paid but if you have to stay late it's not always covered. Lots of donated hours. I would recommend you educate yourself on what life is like as a first responder as its far more than risking getting shot and why shifts are the way they are as you really are the one making yourself out to be the clown here. Yep you're right some days are problem free but that doesn't mean you can sit back and be complacent. You are always in a constant state of "its go time at any minute" and this does wear on you when you get home takes a full day just for your endorphins to balance out from being like that and people in this business know that as the crash.

You and I fortunately have a common ground with having lived abroad and when I left YYC people thought I was nuts but 6.999 billion people don't live in Calgary and certainly isn't the only place to live.

If you're unhappy with your pay and benefits who's fault is that? Again I think you need to re read what I wrote as you really really missed the context as well as what I actually wrote. But whatever you're entitled to your opinion and you're right public servents should be open to discussion, just don't think you know what it's like and post as such. Thanks and have a safe weekend.

To the OP sorry for the derailment.

Oh and don't ever insult my moral character like that ever again regarding my professionalism. I've been on this forum since its birth and have many friends that will vouch for that. Out of line.
    Travel

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I think I'd like to work in a bowling alley. Disinfecting shoes, selling beer to minors. Seems pretty relaxed.

Or a bottle depot. A little bit left in every bottle leads to a lot of free pop.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    I think I'd like to work in a bowling alley. Disinfecting shoes, selling beer to minors. Seems pretty relaxed.

Or a bottle depot. A little bit left in every bottle leads to a lot of free pop.
    Hahahahaha You might be onto something! A while back I was taking in all my bottles and I had made a wall in my basement with all my rum bottles. As I started boxing them all up I saw each bottle had a little bit in each. So one by one I emptied them into a glass and it turned out to be 4 Oz worth.

#recessionthis. #superman3fractionsofabottleequalswin

Plus statistically bottle depots and liquor stores are busier during downturns so hey that's a win too
    Travel

Be the NDP candidate for my riding two years ago.

My Ride
    NC1

So .... lol what's a chill career to get into that doesn't require much education? Flexible, easy, decent money? you know, millennial style.

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    So .... lol what's a chill career to get into that doesn't require much education? Flexible, easy, decent money? you know, millennial style.
    Any job if you have rich parents.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by EK 2.0 View Post
    Student...I would be a student for the rest of my life...
    this is what i do when i win the lottery
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    BB6

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    What I would look like to see is a dismantling of the public union system, so that we can allow the market to determine how much a cop/firefighter/teacher etc gets paid both in cash, entitlements, pension, etc. I don't think that's an unfair approach or request as it is how the whole rest of the world does things, and it works okay.
    After being in that environment, I too would like to see an overhaul of the public sector unions. However, overhauling or dismantling the system won't change the other half of the problem, which is that most government institutions have outdated job profiles and don't manage the performance of their employees properly.

As for the thread topic though, I'd be an industrial engineer. Large manufacturing operations are so interesting
    Last edited by nicknolte; 07-30-2017 at 09:05 AM.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Laid off from O&G 2014, moved to Toronto, got back in to hospitality. Helped open two wildly successful bar venues, and am looking for my own space now.

Also just finishing the initial round of beer tasting for a brewery I'm hoping to start with two partners who were regular customers of mine and want to leave the tech startup world. Hopefully by next spring we'll have a commercial beer on tap at a number of venues around town.

Lots of money in this town and lots of people wanting to invest in creative ventures, has been great so far and hopefully life will just keep getting better from here. *totally* different from my life in O&G.
    Last edited by adamc; 07-30-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Cam, are you still doing the Kiyosaki (training others) thing?
    No sir. Haven't been involved in that for quite some time. The past 8ish years have been 100% internet marketing (whether it was sales, the actual marketing, or otherwise). Hell, just finished a round of keyword research for a homebuilder client of mine.

Pays well, and I'm good at it, but I'm getting tired of staring at 3 screens all day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted131 View Post
    What all does this involve ? I'm pretty much up for anything right now. Just seeing what's out there !
    Get a diploma or degree in adult education and go from there.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    Laid off from O&G 2014, moved to Toronto, got back in to hospitality. Helped open two wildly successful bar venues, and am looking for my own space now.

Also just finishing the initial round of beer tasting for a brewery I'm hoping to start with two partners who were regular customers of mine and want to leave the tech startup world. Hopefully by next spring we'll have a commercial beer on tap at a number of venues around town.

Lots of money in this town and lots of people wanting to invest in creative ventures, has been great so far and hopefully life will just keep getting better from here. *totally* different from my life in O&G.
    This is awesome!! Best of luck, Adam.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 11:59 PM.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I'd open a distillery. Its something I enjoy doing already and have done part time work at one before and found it extremely interesting not only from a production standpoint but also a marketing and business structure. I wouldn't change my education level because its applicable to that industry but I would take a few more courses specific to brewing or distilling. I still might take the courses for my own knowledge though
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    I'd open a distillery.
    This and microbrewery are the most saturated job market I have ever seen. Unless you have big pockets going in, good luck with that.

Didn't we have a thread on this a year or two ago?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    This and microbrewery are the most saturated job market I have ever seen. Unless you have big pockets going in, good luck with that.

Didn't we have a thread on this a year or two ago?
    Its a good thing this thread is titled "if you could start a new career" and implied doing something you love. Not "pick another job but don't forget about all of these constraints". Don't you have a government tit that needs suckling or something as opposed to bringing down perfectly good threads? Type_S1 and Buster already beat you to that punch.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I'm happy with my career change so far, been doing Real Estate for 2.5 years now and have made the top 10 list numerous times, things have been good, no complaints. I've recently been in the planning stages of getting into Real Estate development, which is where I would really like to be. Hopefully will be breaking ground on my first project soon.

A dream job would be in Astro Physics but I think its too late in life for that right now.

My Ride
    Exploded.

R&D in the food industry would be interesting.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Waaaah, I don't know how to read a thread
    OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted131 View Post
    What would you try and get into ? I've been out of I.T for a few years now after the downturn , working jobs that aren't related to IT. I'm starting to get annoyed with the job I have and looking for some interesting possible career changes.

One of the key things would be a short time in school for training , since I live on my own and can't afford to not work for a long period, or evening /online classes .

Really I'm up for any suggestions, and wondering which industries would be good to get into during these times , with lower risk of being laid off for lack of work( last 3 IT jobs I had)

I'd consider going back in I.T as well, but not exactly sure which certs I should be going after since I've been out so long now
    Certainly not brewing or distilling LOL.

Also, I appreciate your concern about my job, which is going swimmingly. Both my business, and my current full time employment. Lot of sour grapes from you, that's ok, you are allowed to be jealous

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast