Quantcast
Century Rides, Fondos, Races, etc... - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Century Rides, Fondos, Races, etc...

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Gran Fondo Badlands next Saturday:
    https://www.granfondobadlands.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've signed up. I've never ridden in that area before. Hopefully, the weather is good.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

I am split into either doing that or do the Fernie Gravel Grind. I might end up doing the Badlands as I've also never done it before and you can pick up package from TCR. I can save on gas also which sucks that it's now one of the reasons why I didn't want to go to Fernie lol.

Anyone else plan to do either?
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm waiting to see what next week's weather forecast is looking like before I sign up. Up until a few months ago, I was worried about it being +30C. Now I'm more concerned about it being rain.

Looking at the elevation map, it looks like all the climbing is done up front.

My Ride
    rally pig

yeah still debating whether to go or not, if I do I might do the 75km as I havent done much riding yet this season.
    if the 50/75 route is the loop west of Drumheller, then I might have done it already with some friends last year and fairly easy, hardest part is the climb after the ferry.

cant really see from the site but what does the 100km route look like?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

It looks like anything after the first 30km is completely flat on the 75km and 100km, so just 25km of more of the same.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37038248

This looks like to be the route / similar to the map shown on the website. Starts in Drumheller, then go counter clockwise.

The 50k might just do the loop.
    The 75k looks to head south on 10x to Wayne (Aid station #3) then back to town.
    The 100k same as 75k to Wayne but instead of heading back to town it continues to head southeast when back onto 10, then back to town.
    Then the other distances are just spending more time on 10 / 570 and turn around at different points.

I was worried about it being +30C.
    I’d kill for 30 degrees right now. Had to race a crit in this earlier this week.

Name:  4990A477-E3D8-4B1B-A707-677144853216.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  214.2 KB

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    I’d kill for 30 degrees right now. Had to race a crit in this earlier this week.

I would have died.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post

Name:  4990A477-E3D8-4B1B-A707-677144853216.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  214.2 KB
    Yeah that’s no fun temp.

And yeah, Bandlands is pretty flat. I am leaning back towards Fernie Gravel Grind and might actually do the full course which has I think 1300-1400m of gain over 94km lol. It’s a good challenge as that’s why I do bike events, to challenge myself. I am also doing the Range anyway next month, or the Rustler I should say as that’s the shorter course. First time doing that also.

We’ll see this weekend what the decision will be

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm bowing out of the Gran Fondo Badlands this weekend. Between gas prices, race admission fee, and a place to stay, it's a $500+ weekend for a Drumheller trip. That's a lot to pay for just wanting to do a 100km bike ride. I'm in Drumheller next month so I can always just do the ride on my own.

Parkway to Pint is July 1 to Sept 5 this year. Don't be an idiot like me last year and wait until the final weekend to do it, cause it was fucking freezing by Sept haha
    https://www.skilouise.com/things-to-...way-to-pint22/

My Ride
    rally pig

^yeah same, didnt book a hotel in time and don't want to spend 300$ just go to go cycling. let me know when you are going and maybe I'll tag with you.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

I ended up going to Fernie and got a cheap hotel to stay overnight to do the Gravel Grind. Sadly, I crashed just 14 km in after I slipped my hand off the handlebar while my right fixes my water (small pothole I did not see got me). I was really hoping to finish it in around 4 hrs but my goal changed after that crash; no backing out now, just finish the long haul was my goal. I think adrenaline just kicked in despite lots of climbing and ribs sore.

Unfortunately, there are some improvements needed. They could not even find the first aid kit at the finish line so I can change the bandage on the "gravel" rash I got. Short haul was also too short and there was no aid station from the turn around of the short haul (18 km in) until you get to the turn around of the long haul which would be more than 800m(ish) of climbing still on gravel (it's 1000m+ of elevation gain at the turn around of the long haul) at kilometer 46. It's for sure is a good weekend party though and I'm sure, these concerns/suggestions will be brought up by riders for next year's event. It's only their second year and considering it was pouring rain on their first year, this year was the first year it was actually nice and actually warm in Fernie.

Bike has some injuries but it's mostly on just the right lever (it took the most impact). It'll just be a reminder for me of this crash on my very first gravel event lol.
    Last edited by jampack; 06-27-2022 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    I ended up going to Fernie and got a cheap hotel to stay overnight to do the Gravel Grind. Sadly, I crashed just 14 km in after I slipped my hand off the handlebar while my right fixes my water (small pothole I did not see got me). I was really hoping to finish it in around 4 hrs but my goal changed after that crash; no backing out now, just finish the long haul was my goal. I think adrenaline just kicked in despite lots of climbing and ribs sore.

Unfortunately, there are some improvements needed. They could not even find the first aid kit at the finish line so I can change the bandage on the "gravel" rash I got. Short haul was also too short and there was no aid station from the turn around of the short haul (18 km in) until you get to the turn around of the long haul which would be more than 800m(ish) of climbing still on gravel (it's 1000m+ of elevation gain at the turn around of the long haul) at kilometer 46. It's for sure is a good weekend party though and I'm sure, these concerns/suggestions will be brought up by riders for next year's event. It's only their second year and considering it was pouring rain on their first year, this year was the first year it was actually nice and actually warm in Fernie.

Bike has some injuries but it's mostly on just the right lever (it took the most impact). It'll just be a reminder for me of this crash on my very first gravel event lol.
    Props that you finished the route despite the crash.

The Badlands fondo was great. My friend biked in the area before but first time for me. We were hoping to finish the 160 in around 6hrs including quick stops at most of the aid stations. We somehow landed with a group and only made two stops. We finished quite a bit faster than planned. I felt I was ready to let the group go in the last 20k. I did not eat enough during the ride. Luckily, the group slowed down a bit (tired? and maybe the slight headwind), and I just kept eating and drinking whatever I can access while not my turn. And somehow made it to the finish with the group.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    Props that you finished the route despite the crash.

The Badlands fondo was great. My friend biked in the area before but first time for me. We were hoping to finish the 160 in around 6hrs including quick stops at most of the aid stations. We somehow landed with a group and only made two stops. We finished quite a bit faster than planned. I felt I was ready to let the group go in the last 20k. I did not eat enough during the ride. Luckily, the group slowed down a bit (tired? and maybe the slight headwind), and I just kept eating and drinking whatever I can access while not my turn. And somehow made it to the finish with the group.
    Thanks man. It was definitely hard but I was thinking at the same time, I’m not going to waste the travel and stay just to turn back and not complete it. Though today, I am feeling everything lol.

Managing nutrition is for sure the key or we will bonk. I also ended up not managing my nutrition well towards the end. My focus got disrupted and that for sure affects the rest of the race. I also did not have gels left as I thought they will provide some, they only had bars.

It’s always great when you’re in a group. Definitely so much faster and fun. Great job doing the 160. I never have done anything more than 110km but my friend and I will be doing RBC Whistler Gran fondo this September and that will be the longest ride I would’ve ever done (unless I randomly do one before that but with tight schedule, most likely not).

Thanks man. It was definitely hard but I was thinking at the same time, I’m not going to waste the travel and stay just to turn back and not complete it. Though today, I am feeling everything lol.

Managing nutrition is for sure the key or we will bonk. I also ended up not managing my nutrition well towards the end. My focus got disrupted and that for sure affects the rest of the race. I also did not have gels left as I thought they will provide some, they only had bars.

It’s always great when you’re in a group. Definitely so much faster and fun. Great job doing the 160. I never have done anything more than 110km but my friend and I will be doing RBC Whistler Gran fondo this September and that will be the longest ride I would’ve ever done (unless I randomly do one before that but with tight schedule, most likely not).
    Ooo... the Whistler fondo... I want to do it... someday.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

@jampack oof, sorry to hear about the crash! Good to hear you grinded it out though! I would have done the same cause I'd hate to have made it all the way there only to bail out. And yeah you definitely have to manage nutrition. I found that out the hard way on my first 100km ride. I hit a wall at 70km and didn't learn until after that you should still be refueling and rehydrating even if you don't think you need it, cause you will need it later on.

@ZeroGravity any other feedback about Badlands? Was it well organized? and would you do it again? The weather looked like it was perfect on Saturday for that. Even though I decided to skip it, a friend and I went to Banff on Saturday the morning so I still got a 100km in on the weekend.

DV100 is coming up on September 10th. I enjoyed it last year and I'm hoping to do it again this year.

http://dv100.ca/

@ZeroGravity any other feedback about Badlands? Was it well organized? and would you do it again? The weather looked like it was perfect on Saturday for that. Even though I decided to skip it, a friend and I went to Banff on Saturday the morning so I still got a 100km in on the weekend.

http://dv100.ca/

The weather was perfect. Wished the wind died down when we're heading back, but at least we got a tailwind out. This is the first real "paying" fondo I've participated in. I've done a couple of the MEC ones a few years ago. I think the Badlands fondo was well organized. The aid stations were well stocked. One thing new to me is that you just ride up to the station and people will serve you the things you need (bottle refills, candies, bars, snacks, fruits, coke :P) and you just roll through the aid station with the bike like a buffet line. Could be a different story if there were more people at the station at the time. It was just our riding group (6 - 8 people) when we stopped at the stations. They even added a station at the turn around point for the 160k route which they said initially won't be one. The meal afterwards was great. I didn't use the showers (included) or massage (extra) after. I would probably do it again but there's a couple more on my wishlist to try. With this being in Drumheller, at least I can disguise this as a short "family trip" with my three kids roaming around town with my wife for the morning of the event. I was asked to provide an estimated time of completion. Luckily, with the group, I was able to do so.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Suggest trying liquid only fueling strategy with a combination of maltodextrin and electrolytes. 3 scoops malto powder per bottle provides me with ~300 calories. I take 1 bottle per hour with an alarm on my watch that reminds me to drink every 15 minutes. I'll add extra salt tabs (saltstik, or endurolytes) if racing in the heat. 1-2 every hr.

Good to know your sweat rate, and plan out on a spreadsheet your hydration strategy and how many calories / carbs / etc. per hour are required.
    Last edited by CLiVE; 06-28-2022 at 03:44 PM.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    Suggest trying liquid only fueling strategy with a combination of maltodextrin and electrolytes. 3 scoops malto powder per bottle provides me with ~300 calories. I take 1 bottle per hour with an alarm on my watch that reminds me to drink every 15 minutes. I'll add extra salt tabs (saltstik, or endurolytes) if racing in the heat. 1-2 every hr.

Good to know your sweat rate, and plan out on a spreadsheet your hydration strategy and how many calories / carbs / etc. per hour are required.
    Thanks @CLiVE I will check on that for next event.

I actually got admitted here at Foothills lol. I guess there was a contusion on my right kidney after the crash. I started peeing small amount of blood couple days ago. Getting better. Good thing nothing happened during the last 80 km of that race. Lesson to everyone here for sure that it may sound great finishing the race, reconsider; there may be an injury we don’t see. I think when I felt unable to breath and just something I feel on my right flank after the crash, that’s already a sign I should’ve stopped. It’s ultimately always our discretion. Just be careful out there!

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 ... LastLast