Quantcast
Century Rides, Fondos, Races, etc... - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Century Rides, Fondos, Races, etc...

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In case anyone forgot like I did when you pick your bib up you get 10% off your shopping that night. Damnit MEC you really know how to empty my wallet
    Talked to them today, it's also 10% in addition to any current pricing (clearance)... Gonna be hard to to buy a new bike that night haha

My Ride
    '15 Golf GTI, '10 Jetta TDI

In case anyone forgot like I did when you pick your bib up you get 10% off your shopping that night. Damnit MEC you really know how to empty my wallet
    I forgot and just bought a bunch of stuff yesterday.. no worries though, I'm sure i'll find something to buy

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Thoughts on these bikes:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-2...LC-X-5-Bicycle

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-2...0-Road-Bicycle

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-2...e?colour=WBR00

Im more inclined towards the Ghost, but will take a boo tonight. Defintely more inclined to Discs. Is the ultegra group a considerable upgrade from 105s?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Discs, Ultegra, carbon....just do it!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Buy it, Brent.ff! Buy it!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Buy it, Brent.ff! Buy it!
    Checking them out tonight... That Ghost is a lot 'sexier' then the ridley

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

The 5800 105 drivetrain has a lot of the features of the 6800 Ultegra. It won't be a big difference.
    I haven't had any problem with rim brake other than in extreme wet condition. Disc brake is not a big deal for me.

Looking at the spec sheet, they are more or less similar. Based on that, go ride them all and pick the one you like the most.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    The 5800 105 drivetrain has a lot of the features of the 6800 Ultegra. It won't be a big difference.
    I haven't had any problem with rim brake other than in extreme wet condition. Disc brake is not a big deal for me.

Looking at the spec sheet, they are more or less similar. Based on that, go ride them all and pick the one you like the most.
    I don't get the obsession with discs for street riding. I have 8 bikes ranging from hybrids to DH and rim brakes to mechanical and hydraulic discs. The only situation where I've actually noticed a benefit of discs is for DH as I want to one finger brake. No significant stopping distance changes between brakes just different force required.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Checked it out last night with 2 minutes to spare (MEC's hours changed on wednesdays to shut at 7...wtf!?). The ghost is pretty damn sweet. Not sure if i want to risk waiting till next thursday to get the extra 10% off, or if it would even be ready by sat morning

has anyone had any luck haggling them a bit with floor models. Seems that most of the bikes left have been a little beat up being bounced between people.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Checked it out last night with 2 minutes to spare (MEC's hours changed on wednesdays to shut at 7...wtf!?). The ghost is pretty damn sweet. Not sure if i want to risk waiting till next thursday to get the extra 10% off, or if it would even be ready by sat morning

has anyone had any luck haggling them a bit with floor models. Seems that most of the bikes left have been a little beat up being bounced between people.
    Why don't you ask them if you can get the discount for the bike now since you want to be ready for the ride? They can obviously check if you're registered.

I'm still on the fence about doing this. I want to, but I don't think I'll be ready for it since i've done no training. I've done 60km rides before, but I want to do the 100km and I don't think I'm ready to just tack on the extra 40km/~2 hours just like that yet.

I'm still on the fence about doing this. I want to, but I don't think I'll be ready for it since i've done no training. I've done 60km rides before, but I want to do the 100km and I don't think I'm ready to just tack on the extra 40km/~2 hours just like that yet.
    You'll be fine, I did the RTCC in Aug, 110 km/day x 2 days. I biked about 1000 km training for it but before the ride, my longest training ride was 50K and 110K was fine. As long as you have decent saddle time this year, I cant see why you would have any issues.

After reading about you guys doing it, I kinda wish I had signed up but turns out I am busy that weekend anyway

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Why don't you ask them if you can get the discount for the bike now since you want to be ready for the ride? They can obviously check if you're registered.

Dude you're nuts. You're pulling ~200 km a week. This will be peanuts for you. I went from riding 80-100 k a week to tacking these on in the weekend. You're easily hitting the training KMs required, just maybe not in monster numbers. Go pull a 100 k this weekend, you'll find it easier then you think. Plus i want to see bike balls in the group ride

Good idea on asking. I will tonight.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 09-14-2017 at 10:05 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

So called them, and they pretty much said no.. However, there is a running race this weekend which i could sign up for $15, and then get the 10% off at package pickup tonight.... so silly.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by s_havinga View Post
    You'll be fine, I did the RTCC in Aug, 110 km/day x 2 days. I biked about 1000 km training for it but before the ride, my longest training ride was 50K and 110K was fine. As long as you have decent saddle time this year, I cant see why you would have any issues.
    Dude you're nuts. You're pulling ~200 km a week. This will be peanuts for you. I went from riding 80-100 k a week to tacking these on in the weekend. You're easily hitting the training KMs required, just maybe not in monster numbers. Go pull a 100 k this weekend, you'll find it easier then you think.
    Okay, I'm gonna try doing 90-100km this weekend and see how I fare. I'm mostly concerned about burning out, though it looks like the second half will be almost all downhill so that makes it a lot easier. What do you guys pack for energy/nutrition?

Plus i want to see bike balls in the group ride
    Hahaha, good idea! I gave it to my friend already, so I'll have to go get it back for the ride

So called them, and they pretty much said no.. However, there is a running race this weekend which i could sign up for $15, and then get the 10% off at package pickup tonight.... so silly.
    Haha that's so stupid

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Okay, I'm gonna try doing 90-100km this weekend and see how I fare. I'm mostly concerned about burning out, though it looks like the second half will be almost all downhill so that makes it a lot easier. What do you guys pack for energy/nutrition?
    Figure out approx how long you're going for (100 km ~ 4 hours probably). You'll want a gel or half a clif bar / clif shots, dates, etc or similar every 40-45 minutes (should shoot for 30-60 g of carbs per hour), and a bottle of water every hour. I also add a spare clif bar as my just in case... I usually have electrolytes in one bottle, and just water in the other, so im not overdoing the electrolytes unless it's super hot out. I forgot electrolytes (gatorade, NUUNs, etc) entirely on a super hot day and i could feel it in a big way. If you're using gels or shot blocks, chase it with a lot of water otherwise you'll feel like garbage for a bit after. I would recommend being that it's your first 'big' one, to bring a variety of food and figure out what you can shovel down your throat while exercising..it's a hell of a lot harder to choke down food then you'd think as your body wants nothing to do with it while you're going. I'll be curious to see what the more seasoned guys do for their fueling

For your weekend ride, make sure you get some gain on it.. If you've never done the 'Road to Nepal' area, i highly recommend it. It's pretty, pretty quiet for vehicles, lots of gain (so lots of downhill speed after), and can find some spots for food if needed (Priddis, Millarville Cafe, Okotoks, etc)
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 09-14-2017 at 02:40 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

D, you'll be a bit tired but since we did Chestermere the other weekend which was ~70km, doing 100km isn't going to be hard especially because you'll be able to maintain higher speeds throughout the whole event and the roads will be smooth (not like the pathways at all). There are going to be feed stations and given it's a MEC event, all the super keeners won't stop anyways but rather have GELs tapped to their frames and likely litter like assholes Everyone else will stop, take a piss, each some food and have some gatorade for 5-10 minutes and get going again.

I'd say enjoy the day and keep a decent pace throughout - you'll honestly have a blast.

If it's any consolation to you, the last time I went biking was with you and I'll probably try the 100km here in Deadmonton tomorrow. I'll probably die since I'm still hungover from my bday Wednesday night.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    D, you'll be a bit tired but since we did Chestermere the other weekend which was ~70km, doing 100km isn't going to be hard especially because you'll be able to maintain higher speeds throughout the whole event and the roads will be smooth (not like the pathways at all). There are going to be feed stations and given it's a MEC event, all the super keeners won't stop anyways but rather have GELs tapped to their frames and likely litter like assholes Everyone else will stop, take a piss, each some food and have some gatorade for 5-10 minutes and get going again.

I'd say enjoy the day and keep a decent pace throughout - you'll honestly have a blast.

If it's any consolation to you, the last time I went biking was with you and I'll probably try the 100km here in Deadmonton tomorrow. I'll probably die since I'm still hungover from my bday Wednesday night.
    Okay, for some reason I had it in my head that people were expected to grind it out for the whole ride unless they had to pull over to die or fix mechanical issues. If that's not the case, that changes everything haha

And happy belated homie!

Okay, for some reason I had it in my head that people were expected to grind it out for the whole ride unless they had to pull over to die or fix mechanical issues. If that's not the case, that changes everything haha

And happy belated homie!
    My goal is to finish the 100k in under 4.5 hours so I definitely won't be grinding it out haha.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

I don't get the obsession with discs for street riding. I have 8 bikes ranging from hybrids to DH and rim brakes to mechanical and hydraulic discs. The only situation where I've actually noticed a benefit of discs is for DH as I want to one finger brake. No significant stopping distance changes between brakes just different force required.
    At the end of the day, your braking ability is still limited by your contact patch on the ground...under emergency braking I've locked up the tires on my Roubaix (25mm, rim brakes) and I would have had the exact same result with discs.
    IMO, the attraction is definitely hyped up, BUT discs do have a more consistent performance across weather conditions and a more "confident" stopping force (at least on hydraulics). Also with hyds - less maintenance or adjustment; bleed once and forget about it.

If I had the option to pick up my exact current bike with hydraulic discs, I'd probably do it but I definitely don't need them.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Im more inclined towards the Ghost, but will take a boo tonight.
    BTW. I see what you did there.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast