Quantcast
Does the red plate give you rage? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the red plate give you rage?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Does the red plate give you rage?

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercool...he_red_plate_/

Short article on Alberta drivers in BC.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    NC1

probably annoyed at all the AB ppl invading BC for mini holidays lol

Here is my opinion on the red plate hate:

Doing 30kph under the limit for every corner because 'OMFG corner!', yet going 30kph over on the one straight in the last 30km because 'OMFG gotta make time!'

Towing a giant piece of shit trailer (or driving a giant piece of shit rental RV) 30kph under the limit everywhere because who gives a shit if it takes 6 hours to go somewhere instead of 2 hours because we're on vacation!

Doing 20kph in the city on one of 2-3 main roads (fuck you tourist traffic on lakeshore/pandosy in kelowna doing this past every beach) because "OMFG scenery!" (14 year old girls in bikinis...)

All that is 100% legit. You'd be pretty pissed if some BC plate idiot was doing 50kph down deerfoot looking at all the pretty shit. fortunately for alberta we dont have pretty shit to stare at so there is zero influx of people gawking at stuff we think is normal.

I guess in downtown vancouver or victoria you probably have red plate hate because 'OMFG berta oil! why can't you power your car with love!' hippy idiots using their petroleum based iphone while wearing their non animal product synthetic petroleum based cloths/shoes while sipping their pretentious $16 mocha expresso 2 pump vanila whipped cinnamon frosted low fat soy based micro brewed latte heated in a machine powered by a giant fucking power plant burning natural gas built by machines burning diesel, machines produced in factories powered by coal power plants with materials mined by strip mining the fuck out of some country in Africa by people who's choice was work 16 hour days for 5 cents a hour or get shot by some roaming kill fundamentalist rebel squad'

My Ride
    Infinitis and Nissans

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is my opinion on the red plate hate:

Doing 30kph under the limit for every corner because 'OMFG corner!', yet going 30kph over on the one straight in the last 30km because 'OMFG gotta make time!'

Towing a giant piece of shit trailer (or driving a giant piece of shit rental RV) 30kph under the limit everywhere because who gives a shit if it takes 6 hours to go somewhere instead of 2 hours because we're on vacation!

Doing 20kph in the city on one of 2-3 main roads (fuck you tourist traffic on lakeshore/pandosy in kelowna doing this past every beach) because "OMFG scenery!" (14 year old girls in bikinis...)

All that is 100% legit. You'd be pretty pissed if some BC plate idiot was doing 50kph down deerfoot looking at all the pretty shit. fortunately for alberta we dont have pretty shit to stare at so there is zero influx of people gawking at stuff we think is normal.

I guess in downtown vancouver or victoria you probably have red plate hate because 'OMFG berta oil! why can't you power your car with love!' hippy idiots using their petroleum based iphone while wearing their non animal product synthetic petroleum based cloths/shoes while sipping their pretentious $16 mocha expresso 2 pump vanila whipped cinnamon frosted low fat soy based micro brewed latte heated in a machine powered by a giant fucking power plant burning natural gas built by machines burning diesel, machines produced in factories powered by coal power plants with materials mined by strip mining the fuck out of some country in Africa by people who's choice was work 16 hour days for 5 cents a hour or get shot by some roaming kill fundamentalist rebel squad'
    Wow...you have some issues to work out.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

I'm on board with the Bad Berta Drivers.
    Of all the places I have visited globally Alberta drivers are the worst. It's get incrementally worse the further up into the NE you go.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:00 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

AB drivers are way more likely to sit in the fast lane, and drive at speeds that conflict with traffic movement,
    *Vancouver Island, Inland Highway not applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Or dont take everything posted on the internet seriously.

BC has its own share of rural people going 20km under the limit down a major highway in their pickup truck or sedan that dont care if they are blocking the traffic so its not like everyone holding up traffic is from out of province, but it is fairly common to see a AB plate doing 30kph below the limit in the corners and then romp on the gas on the next straight doing 30kph above the limit. It's absolutely rage inducing as RCMP love to hang out in passing zones to catch speeders, and you literally risk losing your car for 7 days thanks to these assholes doing 30kph above the limit in the only passing lane for hte next 30km. If you never passed any of these people it could literally add 2-3 hours on to your trip depending how far you're going. The motorhome thing is pretty true also and the most enraging as people who no experience driving one are oblivious to how slow they're actually going and how huge the huge lineups they cause are. Obviously most of the people driving these are on holiday and obviously that means a huge amount are from Alberta. Truth be told you can safely set your vehicle to cruise on most BC highways and never have to touch the brake no matter what kind of corner you encounter even if you are in an RV or towing a trailer (I towed a trailer across BC, even with the awesome windy roads around nakusp and with my cruise set to at least 10 above, had no issues fully loaded) but obviously Albertans have less experience on these roads and taking corners, so more commonly hit the brakes for any corner they are unsure of..... which is annoying to anyone who drives BC highways a lot.

Sugarphreak reminded me of the differences with van traffic. I (who am accustomed to sliding a car in a corner 12 inches away from another one with no margin for error) feel a bit uncomfortable in Vancouver proper when i first get there (although it doesn't take me too long to readjust) as people definitely fly down tight streets 10-15kph above the limit like sugarphreak says with parked cars crammed on both sides with little room. These same roads if they were in edmonton or calgary I'm sure people would commonly be doing 20kph under the 50 limit. I'm also amazed at how fast everyone there can parallel park the first time, in some ridiculously tight spots, so if you're taking your time parking, you're likely to get honked at. I am definitely out of practice with cramming a car in a spot with only a foot infront and a foot behind me for room.

People generally do not do things well that they are not accustomed to doing, and those who are very familiar with something generally have little tolerance for someone who is completely out of their element trying to do it (just try to sit through a 90 year old person try to troubleshoot a simple computer/smart phone problem if you disagree).
    Last edited by zhao; 07-29-2017 at 06:00 PM.

yea I have to admit I'm pretty embarrassed driving around with my Alberta plates. The locals pretty much write you off as a dumbass. Yo bro I don't have to care because #vacation#livinsimple#yolo

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Every point zhao has made is completely accurate haha. I drive a lot on BC roads and have posted about it numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's actually pretty good in BC. Most people GTFO of the left lane after a pass. The exception is Alberta drivers. I passed every single one on the right.

So yea, the left lane hog laws in BC are working. We need them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Believe it or not, eventually, it works well enough. Driving on BC highways this year, people were awesome with getting out of the left lane (well BC people were, AB people still fucking sucked). It was one of my more enjoyable highway drives, that's saying a lot considering I was in a rented Minivan.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    NC1

In other countries the vehicle in front of you will signal to the right to let you know it's now safe to pass. Talk about team work and sharing the roads lol

My Ride
    M5 Competition

If we had more stringent drivers license rules, we wouldn't have so many idiots on the road. We should have mandatory testing every 5 years, it should be extremely high level testing, and if you fail more then 3 times you are automatically frozen from taking it again for a year.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    In other countries the vehicle in front of you will signal to the right to let you know it's now safe to pass. Talk about team work and sharing the roads lol
    In BC you will experience people pulling off if traveling to slow so you can pass by. Its a great thing.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    If we had more stringent drivers license rules, we wouldn't have so many idiots on the road. We should have mandatory testing every 5 years, it should be extremely high level testing, and if you fail more then 3 times you are automatically frozen from taking it again for a year.
    teach them two things.

1. zipper merge
    2. keep right unless passing

the roads will be such a better place lol

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    In BC you will experience people pulling off if traveling to slow so you can pass by. Its a great thing.
    amazing!

I think red plate rage goes way beyond just driving, I get a general consensus there is just a general hate from BC towards Alberta folk.

I was in Penticton this past weekend for a wedding. Sat with agroup of people from BC, and man....I can't honestly remember a time when I felt so out of place before or unwelcome.

Tons of bitching about this from everyone:

- shitty Alberta drivers. Anytime an Albertan dies on an BC highway, it's the Alberta's fault but it's blamed on BC's single lane highway and because of that, BC has to invest in other areas that don't matter to most BC folks. Aka twinning TC1.

- Alberta people come to BC and wreck their environment.

- We leave out cars running and pollute the environment.

- We don't stay in our own province and come to BC and wreck their beautiful lakes and forests.

- Our oil sands projects are the cause for global warming.

- Why do Albertans insist on driving big trucks

- Why do we need atv's, seadoos, and dirt bikes?

I can go on and on, but the general thought is Albertans fuck up BC and we are the worst. Thoughts are in line with that Andy Greschner douche that praised our floods and said we deserved what we got.

At the end of the wedding, I can say I have a few less friends and I've never been so proud of being an Albertan.
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 07-29-2017 at 10:51 PM.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post

My other pet peeve about AB drivers; once you get into Vancouver.... people here normally move at about 15~20 over the limit on average, even when lanes are crazy narrow. AB drivers are so accustom to their extra wide dump truck lane and travelling at 10 under the limit, they cause total havoc here. Grow a pair and try to move with traffic ffs. There is no photo radar, and cops won't pull you over if you move with the speed of traffic.
    So here's the thing about this comment, police will target out of towners (aka Albertans) because they won't be able to come back and contest the ticket or get it reduced, traveling the speed limit reduces this risk. I'm not saying it's right, it pisses me off when an out of Provence plate does the same here but I understand it (sometimes)

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Alberta drivers are generally fucking horrible, someone else is just pointing out the obvious. It's likely that most on Beyond are at the very least, aware drivers, but that hardly represents the Albertan population accurately.

Drove a little Renault Megane in France for a week and it was glorious. Semis stay in the right lane and go 10-20 under the regular speed limit which was 130km/h on major highways. Traffic circles - amazing. Competent drivers who know how to merge - amazing.

I came back home and drove down to Calgary being behind a semi trying to pass another semi - felt like a god damn eternity.

The speed limit around Jasper goes from 90 to 100 as soon as you cross the border into BC. Coqu is 120km/h. All with provincially regulated car insurance!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

See I have always thought it was people from BC who can't drive, mostly due to the number of geriatrics and Asians .

But Zhao is again bang on for Kelowna, though I argue the locals are equally as bad as the Albertans, that place is just a giant eye roll of checked out idiots who are completely self focused.

Go drive on Vancouver Island for a week and put your hand on a bible and tell me BC drivers are better than people from Alberta... scary shit.

And yes, British Columbians hating Alberta for existing is a real thing.
    Last edited by killramos; 07-30-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Grass is always greener on the other side. People, on the other had is the reverse. Locals are always better than the outsiders.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    And yes, British Columbians hating Alberta for existing is a real thing.
    I think Quebecers like us more

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast