Quantcast
Rocks and weed barrier at the base of a tree - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Rocks and weed barrier at the base of a tree

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default Rocks and weed barrier at the base of a tree

Hey hey. All you tree and landscaping gurus, need your insight. I have a tree out on my front lawn. It's just a smaller one but we've had mulch in it forever but there's so much grass and so many weeds poking through I want to change it up.

I just dug it up so it's soil now and I was thinking about putting in some 40 mm stone there instead but have read conflicting things online about rocks at the base of a tree. Furthermore, if I do go ahead and put stones there, can I lay down some weed barrier to try and stop the growth of grass and weeds? My biggest fear is that not enough water will get to the roots.

Any help, suggestions or insights would be awesome!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Trucks

It will be fine. Watering should take place past the outer reach of the tree branches anyway.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The weed barrier and rocks won't slow down the water, and anyway, most trees roots extend well past the drip line.

Anything under a tree, rocks or bark mulch will get full of leaves /needles and debris pretty fast, so it may not look how you want after a year or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

My wife just redid one of our vegetation areas with new weed matting, and this shredded rubber compound on top instead of mulch. I can find a picture of the bag if you're interested, but so far we really like it. It's black, made out of shredded old tires (really). Supposedly it doesn't blow away, doesn't float away, and looks great. But the best thing is that it doesn't attract bugs - we had bark before, and that attracted all sorts of bugs, spiders, ants, etc. They're not interested in the rubber, so it's almost like a pseudo-barrier.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Weed barrier sucks by the way. I've got 4 layers under some crushed basalt gravel around my firepit, and the fucking weeds still poke through. Flimsy little things though, that are easy to pull out, but still, I'm constantly pulling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    My wife just redid one of our vegetation areas with new weed matting, and this shredded rubber compound on top instead of mulch. I can find a picture of the bag if you're interested, but so far we really like it. It's black, made out of shredded old tires (really). Supposedly it doesn't blow away, doesn't float away, and looks great. But the best thing is that it doesn't attract bugs - we had bark before, and that attracted all sorts of bugs, spiders, ants, etc. They're not interested in the rubber, so it's almost like a pseudo-barrier.
    Rubber Mulch and it's available in a few colors:
    https://shop.burncolandscape.com/dep...CPP%7CRUB.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Weed barrier sucks by the way. I've got 4 layers under some crushed basalt gravel around my firepit, and the fucking weeds still poke through. Flimsy little things though, that are easy to pull out, but still, I'm constantly pulling them.
    There are different weights of weed barrier available. I've noticed the Home Depot / Lowes / etc stuff is usually the worst. I went to a landscape company last year and bought some heavier weed barrier and it has no weeds yet compared to the area in my yard with the department store stuff.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Landscaping matt is the proper material to use if rocks on going on top. Weed barrier is made to allow water through, landscaping stuff is water resistant and blocks everything. (Looks like black tarp vs black cloth)

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Rubber Mulch and it's available in a few colors:
    https://shop.burncolandscape.com/dep...CPP%7CRUB.html
    Yep, that's the stuff, I just didn't want to turn my reply into an ad for them. But so far works well. You can even see lettering and tread patterns in the pieces, it's pretty crazy.

My Ride
    is broken

The only stuff worth using is Polyester fabric. Feels like house wrap (Tyvek). Kind of a bitch to cut and will wear out sharp knives quickly.

Did professional landscaping for 4 years and this stuff always held after service calls and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    The only stuff worth using is Polyester fabric. Feels like house wrap (Tyvek). Kind of a bitch to cut and will wear out sharp knives quickly.

Did professional landscaping for 4 years and this stuff always held after service calls and maintenance.
    Does that let water through?

My Ride
    Trucks

That is what I was describing and it is basically water proof.

My Ride
    is broken

They say it does, but in reality not very much. Which is a good thing because it stops evaporation from the soil.

Watering should be done directly on the plant or with Drip Irrigation System.