Quantcast
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport

Default 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport

Hey guys, does anyone own one of the new civic hatchbacks? My wife is looking for a larger hatch (currently drives a mk7 3door golf) and she and I both like the styling and features on the Civic. Seems to be one of the best options for a 5 door hatch around the 30-35k range. Just looking for some owners opinions/reviews so far. We are heading to Honda on the weekend to look at a Sport Touring + model, seems the price isn't much of a jump to get the upgraded seats and such.

I got Sport Touring hatch in February when they first came out - what would you like to know?

I love this thing. The technology on it for $30K is ridiculous, and the safety tech has already saved me from an accident. Good interior, good infotainment system, great on gas, still very solid. Currently have 447km driven and a half tank of gas left. Zero problems. The hatches feel quite a bit more solid than the sedans.

Drove to Edmonton on the weekend and the autonomous cruise and lane keep are awesome - the car can drive itself around corners. You turn it off and you realize how much it's helping with minor steering inputs.

Shoot me a PM when you're ready to buy I can put you in touch with the guy who gave me a wicked deal on mine. I shopped all of Calgary + Okotoks, High River, and Airdrie.

Dealer invoice is around $27,700 on a Sport Touring 6MT.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-02-2017 at 02:48 PM.

I believe the one she has picked out only comes in CVT, but I could be wrong? How is the audio system? Glad to hear the Honda Sense Package is worth it, that was a big +1 for me. It will be driven by her 99% of its life, so we shall see how she likes it. I couldn't really think of much else in that range, and I know the looks are mostly love it or hate it, but I think its a pretty slick looking car.

My Ride
    '16 Civic

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe the one she has picked out only comes in CVT, but I could be wrong? How is the audio system? Glad to hear the Honda Sense Package is worth it, that was a big +1 for me. It will be driven by her 99% of its life, so we shall see how she likes it. I couldn't really think of much else in that range, and I know the looks are mostly love it or hate it, but I think its a pretty slick looking car.
    Rubbish, the only difference between the transmissions is $1000 and that you lose Low Speed Follow on the ACC. If she wants CVT that's fine. My neighbor down the street has an ST in Sonic Grey and it looks hot. Kinda makes me regret buying my Touring sedan despite the fact that the hatch wasn't available when I bought. Audio system is ok once you break it in. It's no branded one found on German cars, but I'd attribute it to a good iPod/headphone combo where you won't be actively complaining. Bass response is marginal it seems and hatch models don't suffer subwoofer rattle in the rear trunk. I only have that issue when it's cold. I would assume when it's warm/hot that metal has expanded and has filled out any gaps in the rear deck.

A lot of people tell me that 30-35k on a Civic on principle is crazy but considering the car, they can go to hell. I tell everyone I have a Civic and people think I drive some riced out EK hatch with 300k+ clicks. Edit** I paid a little under $29k OTD a YEAR ago when it was hot shit so it's not like the hatch doesn't come at a premium. Even Si is less expensive now and that used to be the top of the line in Canada. Probably due to import and how they've priced it in already.
    Last edited by Jonathanl10; 08-02-2017 at 09:59 PM. Reason: New Information
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I personally don't like the Honda Sense tech much other than Front Collision Warning maybe. The radar cruise is too sensitive even at shortest setting and lane keep assist just bounces you between the lines within the lane. It also doesn't deal well with corners. For the price though it's worth it from a resale perspective I would imagine.

Hmm, must have been the US car, or has since changed. The review I read said the manual was not available in the sport touring, only the sport. Either way she would want an auto for commuting.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Ive been keeping a eye on the Honda Hatches. I really like them, the hatch is built in swindon (yaaa England!).
    For the price point I think they are really good, the other being Subaru but they are a little more. I would like to buy one but im too much of a poor ass negro. Im just waiting till my current Honda dies and then I can look at a second hand one on depreciation in a year or so.
    I just looked on the Honda site, Manual is available in sport Touring for 2017. I think the 2016 it was the lower side of the models that could only be manual.
    Shop around, I went to Honda West and the new Honda Heritage in the South to test drive different vehicles. Both wasted my time, big time. I specifically asked for a manual and booked a time. They did not bother and gave me a auto. The bald fat mampta guy at Honda in the South just kept on pedalling scare stories of other makes and racked up admin fee's.

You can definitely get the Sport Touring in CVT, just add $1300. You can see this on the Honda Canada website as well.

Audio system is by far the best I have heard on a sub-$30K car, but it's not mind blowing. My only complaint with it is the sub has too low of a crossover, but the door speakers are very good for this class of car. No rattles at all though (the sedan does). Hatch gets an extra 2 speakers for a total of 12. You will probably want to drop the treble a bit after it breaks in but overall it's very solid for this class of car.

Honda Sensing is awesome, she will probably love it. It also brakes harder for you if it senses a panic brake and you haven't applied maximum pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    I personally don't like the Honda Sense tech much other than Front Collision Warning maybe. The radar cruise is too sensitive even at shortest setting and lane keep assist just bounces you between the lines within the lane. It also doesn't deal well with corners. For the price though it's worth it from a resale perspective I would imagine.
    This has not been my experience. The auto cruise on my car is very smooth (probably smoother than my inputs), and not overly sensitive at all. The shortest distance setting on the autonomous cruise is a 1-second follow, which is well below the recommended highway "2 second rule" and about as close as I like to be when doing 120-140km/h. Maximum range of the system is 120m which I doubt anyone uses. Also, if you press the gas, it cancels the system and lets you pass or ride someone's ass if you desire - when you release the gas again the system re-engages. You can also just hit cancel on the wheel, and resume when you're done whatever it is you want to do, and it will resume all previous cruise settings. It's really quite slick, especially on annoying roads like the QE2.

Sounds like you're confusing lane departure with lane keep (they are separate, independent systems). Lane Departure will bounce you between the lines, where Lane Keep keeps you dead center in the lane, and can drive the car smoothly round corners without driver steering input (after about 20 seconds though it beeps at you and makes you put your hands back on the wheel). I have tested it dozens of times on different roads when demonstrating it to people, I do a lot of highway driving, and I have never had it fail on a corner or bounce between lines. I cannot believe how well the system works. The dotted road lines on the cruise display will go solid to confirm the vehicle can see the lines, make sure they are solid or the system isn't active.

My Ride
    '16 Civic

They only had the sedan/coupe in 2016 and manuals were on base 2.0 models only.

Funny story. I went to T&T Honda and put an offer down higher than 29k (my actual OTD at the end was under 29) and the fat guy who was with me said no swiftly, without consulting a manager. Went to Okotoks and got it on the cheap no questions asked.

I just checked. Heritage Honda is part of the Dilawri Group so you wasted your time by default.
    Last edited by Jonathanl10; 08-03-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanl10 View Post
    They only had the sedan/coupe in 2016 and manuals were on base 2.0 models only.

Funny story. I went to T&T Honda and put an offer down higher than 29k (my actual OTD at the end was under 29) and the fat guy who was with me said no swiftly, without consulting a manager. Went to Okotoks and got it on the cheap no questions asked.

I just checked. Heritage Honda is part of the Dilawri Group so you wasted your time by default.
    T&T wouldn't even talk to me and lost my business as well. The sales person contact was even a Beyond referral.

Okotoks FTW. I got a really good deal and zero hassle or BS.

Just waiting to get some numbers back. The dealer here doesn't have a Sport touring, only a sport, but I am sure they can locate one if the numbers work out. Still choosing colors, I like the blue and white, but I would like to see that flat(ish) grey color ive seen pics of. May end up heading to Okotoks Honda in the end, but this will give me a starting point.

Just waiting to get some numbers back. The dealer here doesn't have a Sport touring, only a sport, but I am sure they can locate one if the numbers work out. Still choosing colors, I like the blue and white, but I would like to see that flat(ish) grey color ive seen pics of. May end up heading to Okotoks Honda in the end, but this will give me a starting point.
    PM me if you want once you get the final numbers, you can compare it to the deal I got and see if it's worth going to another dealer.

I have that blue/grey color you might be referring to, it looks more blue than gray in person, and the pearl is visible as you get closer:

Yup that's the color, looks so clean with black trim.

Edit: looked flat in some pics, didn't realize how gloss it is

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    You can definitely get the Sport Touring in CVT, just add $1300. You can see this on the Honda Canada website as well.

Audio system is by far the best I have heard on a sub-$30K car, but it's not mind blowing. My only complaint with it is the sub has too low of a crossover, but the door speakers are very good for this class of car. No rattles at all though (the sedan does). Hatch gets an extra 2 speakers for a total of 12. You will probably want to drop the treble a bit after it breaks in but overall it's very solid for this class of car.

Honda Sensing is awesome, she will probably love it. It also brakes harder for you if it senses a panic brake and you haven't applied maximum pressure.

This has not been my experience. The auto cruise on my car is very smooth (probably smoother than my inputs), and not overly sensitive at all. The shortest distance setting on the autonomous cruise is a 1-second follow, which is well below the recommended highway "2 second rule" and about as close as I like to be when doing 120-140km/h. Maximum range of the system is 120m which I doubt anyone uses. Also, if you press the gas, it cancels the system and lets you pass or ride someone's ass if you desire - when you release the gas again the system re-engages. You can also just hit cancel on the wheel, and resume when you're done whatever it is you want to do, and it will resume all previous cruise settings. It's really quite slick, especially on annoying roads like the QE2.

Sounds like you're confusing lane departure with lane keep (they are separate, independent systems). Lane Departure will bounce you between the lines, where Lane Keep keeps you dead center in the lane, and can drive the car smoothly round corners without driver steering input (after about 20 seconds though it beeps at you and makes you put your hands back on the wheel). I have tested it dozens of times on different roads when demonstrating it to people, I do a lot of highway driving, and I have never had it fail on a corner or bounce between lines. I cannot believe how well the system works. The dotted road lines on the cruise display will go solid to confirm the vehicle can see the lines, make sure they are solid or the system isn't active.
    Yeah I am thinking lane keep assist. Every time I have it on it pulls to one side then the other, within the lane. Granted I've mostly used it in the city on Deerfoot/Crowchild. But even a gentle sweeping turn like the one off Deerfoot onto West Anderson it can't deal with very well. The Lane departure mitigation works well. Radar cruise I find even with short setting people will cut in, again likely due to being in the city.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

I heard the sport tourings are hard to get right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw this color driving. Looks amazing!!!!!! If that color came in the regular sport model i would of got it.
    Sucks that the honda sense didnt come in the manual sport.

PM me if you want once you get the final numbers, you can compare it to the deal I got and see if it's worth going to another dealer.

I have that blue/grey color you might be referring to, it looks more blue than gray in person, and the pearl is visible as you get closer:

Yeah I am thinking lane keep assist. Every time I have it on it pulls to one side then the other, within the lane. Granted I've mostly used it in the city on Deerfoot/Crowchild. But even a gentle sweeping turn like the one off Deerfoot onto West Anderson it can't deal with very well. The Lane departure mitigation works well. Radar cruise I find even with short setting people will cut in, again likely due to being in the city.
    If you're sure it's lane keep, and it's activated (solid lines on the display), and your speed is between 72km/h and 145km/h, it should be working better than you describe. It's very good at keeping the car in the center of the lane. The only time I have seen it fooled is the really dark black asphalt crack repair lines sometimes used on the highways. If you are actually bouncing between the lines something is definitely not right. I can literally drive Calgary to Edmonton and not move from the center of the lane including all sweeping corners. I live in the South so next time I am on Deerfoot I will try that same corner onto Anderson West out of curiosity - I can't picture it at the moment but if the lines are really faint, maybe it's just a bad section to test it on. All these things are definitely designed for the highway, but you can screw around with it in the city a bit. It also works independent of cruise control if you don't like the autonomous cruise. I agree you can't really leave 1 second distance in the city, that's enough for like 5 cars with Calgary drivers haha.

When I first got the car I drove from the Memorial exit to the Glenmore exit on Deerfoot South letting the car completely drive itself (myself ready to intervene of course). I think that's probably the most I've tried within city limits.

Originally when I got the car I thought LKAS was not a separate system, because it lights up a green "LKAS" on the dash even when it isn't active if you turn on cruise, so I thought it was just kind of always doing it's thing - then when I learned how to activate it I thought it was pretty cool that my sub-$30K car could drive itself. My dad is shopping for a new car now too in a much higher price bracket, and a lot of those cars don't have the same level of tech, and if they do, it always requires the most expensive option packages.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-03-2017 at 02:08 PM.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

If you're sure it's lane keep, and it's activated (solid lines on the display), and your speed is between 72km/h and 145km/h, it should be working better than you describe. It's very good at keeping the car in the center of the lane. The only time I have seen it fooled is the really dark black asphalt crack repair lines sometimes used on the highways. If you are actually bouncing between the lines something is definitely not right. I can literally drive Calgary to Edmonton and not move from the center of the lane including all sweeping corners. I live in the South so next time I am on Deerfoot I will try that same corner onto Anderson West out of curiosity - I can't picture it at the moment but if the lines are really faint, maybe it's just a bad section to test it on. All these things are definitely designed for the highway, but you can screw around with it in the city a bit. It also works independent of cruise control if you don't like the autonomous cruise. I agree you can't really leave 1 second distance in the city, that's enough for like 5 cars with Calgary drivers haha.

When I first got the car I drove from the Memorial exit to the Glenmore exit on Deerfoot South letting the car completely drive itself (myself ready to intervene of course). I think that's probably the most I've tried within city limits.

Originally when I got the car I thought LKAS was not a separate system, because it lights up a green "LKAS" on the dash even when it isn't active if you turn on cruise, so I thought it was just kind of always doing it's thing - then when I learned how to activate it I thought it was pretty cool that my sub-$30K car could drive itself. My dad is shopping for a new car now too in a much higher price bracket, and a lot of those cars don't have the same level of tech, and if they do, it always requires the most expensive option packages.
    Ordered a new crv, can't wait to try this feature out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4doorj View Post
    Ordered a new crv, can't wait to try this feature out.
    When you turn it off after a long period, you realize how much effort is actually required to keep the car in the middle of the lane for hours on end, especially when the road gradient always has you putting a small bit of pressure on the wheel the opposite way. You can only completely let go of the wheel for 20 seconds or so, then it gets mad at you and eventually cancels if it doesn't sense a human steering input. If your hands are on the wheel it works indefinitely, and there is no steering effort required on the highway. Where I think it really has the most value is if you're really tired but have to drive a long, boring highway - it's always looking out for you. Or if you drop something while driving, or need to grab a quick snack or drink of water, you can confidently do so with a much smaller risk of anything bad happening.

Hey guys, does anyone own one of the new civic hatchbacks? My wife is looking for a larger hatch (currently drives a mk7 3door golf) and she and I both like the styling and features on the Civic. Seems to be one of the best options for a 5 door hatch around the 30-35k range. Just looking for some owners opinions/reviews so far. We are heading to Honda on the weekend to look at a Sport Touring + model, seems the price isn't much of a jump to get the upgraded seats and such.
    Same boat as you. Purchased a Sport Touring Hatchback CVT a few months back for my wife as she drives it to work the majority of the time. Mitsu was very helpful with answering my questions and Okotoks was great to deal with, although we never ended up buying from them because of timing issue.

The Honda Sensing technology takes a little while to get used to, but overall, it's very intuitive. I like using the Lane Keep Assist on the big curve at the Northeast section of Stoney because it will just steer for you. Pretty neat. The CVT actually drives very smooth, but you can always turn ECO off and use the Sport mode if you're wanting to test its limits. Although it takes Premium, the gas mileage has been awesome. Usually find ourselves between 6.5L to 7.0L/100km before every fill. Can probably drive at least 700km before gas runs out, but never really pushed it that far. Cargo space was very roomy as we unexpectedly bought some big potted plants one day because of a sale at Costco. Including the usual two boxes full of groceries and two kids in the backseat, we had no trouble fitting all that stuff in the trunk just by sliding the cover to one side.

A few complaints would be the obvious lack of a volume knob (heard the 2018 will have a physical knob); not really a fan of its built-in Navigation, so I just use Google Maps on Android Auto; the rain-sensing wipers will go on rapid mode even though it's just light drizzle (not really a problem, more of an annoyance); and the hatch handle is really flimsy.

Other than the few complaints, I love driving it and both my wife and I have had strangers complimenting on how it looks.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I have to give Subaru props as their eyesight is the best I've used so far. It's a lot better than the DAP with my Golf R which is essentially Audi based.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast