Quantcast
My goofy WIP ... 1991 Toyota Tercel DX turbo. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: My goofy WIP ... 1991 Toyota Tercel DX turbo.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Tercel Turbo 4E-FTE

Default My goofy WIP ... 1991 Toyota Tercel DX turbo.

So, this is my long-term project that I've been VERY slowly building for a long, long time...

This is how it started life, originally. I bought it in this condition nearly 15 years ago. I have no idea what shade green that is, but I don't like it. I bought it this way because it was completely rust-free and well-maintained.

Name:  when_purchased_side.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  50.9 KB

A few years later I painted it. This is Toyota 'Speedway Blue' (paint code 8P1) that was on the mid-2000's Tacoma.

Name:  new_paint_job.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  56.5 KB
    Name:  new_paint_job2.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  57.3 KB

Then I got a good deal on some 15" wheels (American Racing Estrella) and tires (Toyo Proxes)... And I also installed some KYB-GR2 (KYB now calls them Excel-G, I believe) struts/shocks.

Name:  added_rims2.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  67.9 KB
    Name:  added_rims.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  72.9 KB

... to be continued ...

My Ride

So, over time some more things happened. I bought a EP82 Starlet GT Turbo engine (Toyota 4E-FTE) and had it swapped in:

Name:  Engine_Bay.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  138.9 KB

With the swap came an upgraded exhaust - full 2.5" with resonator and high-flow muffler.

Name:  20170802_204115.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  133.1 KB
    Name:  exhuast.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  81.7 KB

Better stopping-power with the larger rotors - these are designed for a Toyota Paseo - a small upgrade with 11" rotors vs. 10" for the Tercel, but it makes a big difference. The only thing required to swap Paseo rotors into a Tercel is the Paseo's rotor and caliper mounting bracket. I also upgraded to braided stainless lines and some good ceramic pads.

I didn't paint the calipers because we wanted to keep a more stealthy look ... and drilled rotors with bright blue/red whatever calipers isn't stealthy.

Name:  Estrella_Wheels.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  124.1 KB

... interior ... more to follow:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride

So, the front seats were upgrade to buckets from a Toyota Paseo - they bolt right in, so nothing to fab. Ignore the goofy paint and missing pieces on the passenger panel there, my son is playing around with colour and stuff. I'm putting the original black pieces back on.

Also added a center console from a Paseo and Momo Race steering wheel. Shortened the shifter a little with a better-looking knob. Rear seats are original with a seat cover.
    Name:  paseo_seats.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  105.7 KB
    Name:  rear_seat.jpg
Size:  71.4 KB

I'm still using the 10 year old Pioneer Premier I put in eons ago... There's rear-deck Pioneer 6.5" three-ways and some inexpensive pioneer 6.5" two-ways (shallow mount) in the front doors. Not many 6.5" speakers fit in the Tercel doors without pods or fabricating something, but these did, so I grabbed them.

Name:  interior.jpg
Size:  85.5 KB
    Name:  front_door_cheap_65s.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  113.1 KB

I also have some good Hertz components and a shallow-mount sub that we will get installed some day.

And yes, that is WORKING air-conditioning in a Tercel. Likely one of very few in the province. Yes, I know it is heavy and robs power from my engine. I don't care. I'm in my 50's, huge and just don't like being hot.
    Last edited by AlbertaBeef; 08-02-2017 at 10:16 PM.

My Ride

Future modifications:

• Internal Gauges: Boost, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Oil Temperature, Voltmeter and a good wideband AFR.
    • Silicone hoses everywhere, in red (my sons colour of choice.)
    • Front-mount intercooler. The top mount is inefficient (especially without a functional scoop) and in nasty shape. I'll probably get a universal kit for a Civic (92-95) and make it fit. A 27" x 7" x 2.5" should be more-than-adequate and won't need many modifications. Not sure which blow-off valve I'll go with - something not too crazy loud.
    • Better manifold (tubular for higher flow - the stock cast manifold is somewhat restrictive) and decat-downpipe. The 4E-FTE catalytic converter is positioned immediately after the turbo exhaust, and is an unnecessary restriction I don't want. I haven't decided yet if I want to stay with the stock turbo (Toyota CT9) or upgrade to a TD04L (WRX non-STI) - I love the fast spool of the CT9, but you're very limited in maximum boost and power with it.
    • Tial 38mm external wastegate. Regardless of which turbo I decide on, that's the wastegate I'm getting fitted to the manifold.
    • An oil catch can and some good-looking braided stainless oil lines. Once the boost is upped - I'm going to need it. Right now the PCV vents into the intake, which is insane if you're increasing pressure. A catch can will keep things neat and tidy.
    • Walbro 255lph pump and a quality Fuel Pressure regulator.
    • Boost Controller: I'm already running a cheap eBay unit as the spring in my wastegate actuator is a little soft and doesn't let me reach maximum boost. Stock maximum is supposed to be 9psi, mine was only hitting 6.5 until I put the controller in. I tried it at 12, and it pulls hard, but the stock ECU isn't mapped for that and so it gets rich and smokes black - which I do not want.
    • Tune-able ECU or piggyback system, so it doesn't get rich and smoke black, ha ha.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head ... The project has been going on for over 10 years now, and will continue to evolve. I may be crazy to do this to a Tercel ... but it is fun.

My Ride

... nice day for a drive into the Kananaskis, BTW:

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I love sleepers like this. Nice project!