Quantcast
Hockey skating class - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Hockey skating class

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

Default Hockey skating class

Decided to try playing ice hockey this year. Are there any classes that anyone can recommend that teaches the basics of skating?

I've skated a few times and have played a few shinny games but I feel like I would benefit a lot more from a class or two before the season starts.

I've googled and came across a bunch of different ones. More so looking to see if anyone has attended any of them and what's your opinion on it.

Thanks

My Ride
    NC1

It's been a few years but I took a few skating classes in my early days.

Winsport learn to skate - 3 classes - adults - not busy so lots of ice and individual attention - skates and a lid for equipment

Tucker hockey - expensive i think $450 for 10 classes - learned a lot - full gear

I have heard good things about the U of C skating programs. It's crowded but cheap I think $100 for 10 classes? but then you have to pay for parking.

If you wanna save money, just watch a few videos and go to public skate to try it out.

After 5 years of playing I have pretty much stalled lol can't shake the bad habits and too lazy to pay for instruction to improve. Oh well. I'm content playing div12 hockey lol

Good luck dude.

My Ride
    95B

+1 for Winsport.
    I did the skating lessons past winter and I highly recommend Winsport.

Winsport, Tucker and U of C are the best ones from what I hear.

My Ride
    1.8GHZ of V-TECH

Also forgot to mention I'll be playing goalie. Anyone have any info specific to goalie skating classes, or would a regular power skating course be a good place to start.

My Ride
    NC1

quite a few friends have gone here for goaltending stuff http://www.topprospectsgoaltending.com/

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

If you're decent on skates already, then take a specific goaltending class/camp through TPG or GDI. I think it's harder to learn how to be comfortable on skates AND learn them tendy moves all at the same time.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

EDIT: Just saw that you play goal lol. My bad. They do goalies too and the goalies get individual coaching! By the way, Goalies are in huge demand so they'll probably get you to come out more than just the 12 times so you might see some free extra coaching.

I finished the Discover Hockey program through the NCHL this past season and have nothing but glowing reviews.

I loved it. It's a 12 week program and they focus mainly on the basics of skating with and without the puck and then go over some basic puck handling and shooting fundamentals and then finally they work through defensive and offensive drills that teach you positioning and how to properly play the game (breaking out, who to cover...etc) before you spend 4 sessions playing scrimmage games against other Discover Hockey teams. After that your team (they separate you into to teams on the first day) has the option of joining the bottom divisions in current NCHL play.

It was pretty expensive, $400 I believe but I thought it was worth it. They claim it's for anyone, even if you have never skated before, but I wouldn't really agree with that. They do very little individual instruction and the classes move quickly so if you have never been on skates before, you're probably not going to enjoy it much, but it does come down to how quick you pick it up I guess. Same thing if you're already a really strong skater, than you might also get bored as basic skating is the main focus of the program, especially for the first half where it's really simple stuff (stopping, skating backwards, standing up from your knees, cross overs).

Personally, I felt like it was the perfect program for me cause I had never played ice hockey in any capacity before and had skated twice in the last 10 years and while I was never much of a skater in my school years, I'd say I was sufficient enough in skating to "go on a date". I.E. I wouldn't look like a total fool if I went skating around a rink with a girl, but I couldn't hockey stop or pivot or make quick turns or anything that you really need to know to play hockey well.

Our team did continue to play this season and we're currently in the playoffs. We have a wide range of skill levels on our team, from people who still struggle with skating and can really only shoot or skate and don't really add much to the play to people who are clearly ready for higher division play. Personally, after completing the program and the remaining season I feel like I have the hockey portion down (I played organized ball hockey for a few years, which probably helped) but my skating could still use some work before I move up to join my friends in higher divisions. I've come a long way from not being able to hockey stop or pivot but somethings still trip me up, mainly making quick sharp changes in direction.

I don't know where you played Shinny through but I've played in "Beginner Shinny" and I'd say if you can keep up in Beginner Shinny and enjoy it and don't feel like you're behind the play then you're probably ahead of the Discover Hockey program and you'd probably be better off looking for something a bit more advanced. I'm also looking for something a little more advanced. I'd say I'm in this awkward area between Beginner and Intermediate so I'm hoping I can find a power skating course this winter that fits somewhere in there.